Ideas for Magic World cosmology and magic
Here I will post ideas for cosmology and magic in a MW campaign set in (my version of) the Southern Reaches. Feel free to comment and elaborate upon.
I freely use rules stuff from various BRP sources, most of this stuff will be in Advanced Sorcery. But note that I also plan to use:
- The Big Gold Book (for the Magic rules, in particular)
- The Chronicles of Future Earth (for additional demon powers and sorcery spells)
- RQ3 Creatures (for additional tiny bits that are not in MW)
- Corum (for Chaos Magic and Chaos creature magic)
- Maybe CoC Dark Ages (for additional sorcery spells)
- CoC Dreamlands (for cats, and faboulous creatures, maybe even spells)
Let us start with the planes of existence. Here I take inspiration from various sources (including, strangely enough, D&D4):
1) The Spirit Plane is everwhere around our world. Spirits are summoned from here through the Summon Spirit spells. It borders Limbo and the Feywild.
2) Limbo also called Shadowfell, is a borderland, a prison and a wasteland. A plane of undeath, hunger, envy, sorrow. A bleak malignant place still close to our world, but leading into the Ultimate Abyss. Necromancy draws from Limbo and many of the demons that are summoned hail from here. People aligned with Shadow feel close to it.
3) The Feywild is the plane of the Fey: a place of wild magic, cold beauty, mad dreams and alien, inhuman amoral creatures. A place of sirens and ogres, multicolored birds inging in crystal cages, rainbow bridges, goblin haunted fungus forests, lush jungles under strange stars inhabited by lamias, manticoras and cannibals, headless horsemen, talking animals, ever changing landscapes where time flows in strage ways. Some of the "demons" summoned to our world, are, in fact, Fey creatures, especially if they are summoned through High Magic, the magic that draws its power from the Feywild.
4) The Elemental Fields ...
5) The Ultimate Abyss also known as the Chaos Realm, the Void, etc. ...
6) The Blessed Realms, The Land of Youth, here there is the Mighty Bastion of the Angels and the Houses of the Virtues.
(to be continued)