Spicing up BRP combat

Eisenmann

First off, I want to say that I like BRP's combat and the plethora of options. I saw the recent thread on the subject here and at RPG.net and wondered, "Hmm. I wonder if the crit/fumble charts from HARP would work with BRP."

The answer is, yes. I just ran a mini-scenario with a woodsman stumbling onto an orc patrol of 3 grunts and their commander. The woodsman critted on his first shot hitting the commander in the low back and on the spot he fell in writhing pain only to die in the next 6 rounds. This caught the patrol completely off guard. Passing a POW check for morale they went berserk using their weapons to smash forest undergrowth aside looking for their unseen attacker. One by one they were whittled down till the final orc was taken down in melee combat.

The woodsman rolled exceptionally well and the orcs rolled poorly but overall the HARP charts indeed spiced things up a bit. I ignored the BRP specials and used the charts this way:

• Crit = roll on chart +20%
  • Special = unmodified %

Has anyone tried this? If so, I'd love to hear how you handled things.

Why take a system that is streamlined and works perfectly well as is and add unneeded complexity?

BRP is simple and to the point and that is one of the reasons its such a great system IMHO. Adding more rules to combat is a step in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

AikiGhost, you can have any color car you want as long as it's black, eh? ;)

RosenMcStern, it was indeed fun. This approach did lose a bit of BRP flavor as far as the specials went. Perhaps I'll give the player the option of which they prefer the BRP special or roll on the crit chart.

I agree that BRP is indeed streamlined but the addition of the chart/roll didn't disrupt combat very much since it only appeared on results that are special or better.

Perhaps I'll give the player the option of which they prefer the BRP special or roll on the crit chart.

Your suggestion is a replacement for the standard BRP special/critical effects, rather than an addition, right? If so, then it's actually simpler than the usual, rather than adding complexity. That's good.

I can see a drawback though - it may work fine for human-size (and shape) opponents, but the effects from the HARP crit chart (I don't know it, please correct me if I'm wrong) may be unrealistically lethal on bigger creatures, and may need customizing for winged, multi-limbed and/or other wacky-shaped things.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Your suggestion is a replacement for the standard BRP special/critical effects, rather than an addition, right? If so, then it's actually simpler than the usual, rather than adding complexity. That's good.

I can see a drawback though - it may work fine for human-size (and shape) opponents, but the effects from the HARP crit chart (I don't know it, please correct me if I'm wrong) may be unrealistically lethal on bigger creatures, and may need customizing for winged, multi-limbed and/or other wacky-shaped things.

Yep, last night I ran the scenario with the Hack 'n' Slash chart for HARP without BRP special/crits.

The nice part is that since HARP is also a percentile based system the modifications for target size and some other bits pretty much port straight over. And since HARP is a fantasy game with "funky" creatures, the crit descriptions aren't perfectly nailed down to bidpedal, two armed targets.

I'm going to do a bit more exploration with the various crit charts from Iron Crown; standard HARP, Hack 'n' Slash, Martial Law, Rolemaster Express to see if any one of them stands out through play.

Edited by Eisenmann