BRP Creatures and BRP Gamemaster

400_years

Yeah, just got an email from Chaosium this afternoon. Grabbed a copy of the Creatures PDF, which should come in handier than looking through various scattered publications.

What does the creatures PDF contain? Is it based on the RQ3 Monsters book?

Yeah, just got an email from Chaosium this afternoon. Grabbed a copy of the Creatures PDF, which should come in handier than looking through various scattered publications.

ORtrail, just what creatures are in this monograph? The description on the link doesn't tell us.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

What does the creatures PDF contain? Is it based on the RQ3 Monsters book?

It contains creatures. Duh.

;)

I don't have the RQ3 book, but I'd guess.... yeah, it probably is. You get an alphabetical list of about 90 creatures, allosaurus to zombie, with a fairly, er, basic selection. Rules for playing Broo, Centaur, Duck, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Ogre, Orc, and Troll characters.

If you have a pretty good collection of BRP games, you don't really need this. It filled in a few gaps for me, and I like having one resource to turn to instead of digging out Hawkmoon to check stats for oxen, but that's me.

If you are new to BRP, then this is probably worth $9 and a bit of paper and ink (fifty pages long) to print out. Hope this helps.

In other news, I didn't see any real need for the BRP Gamemaster PDF, at least for any veteran GM. Anyone have it, and want to sell me on it?

Judging from the descriptions, they are exactly the Gamemaster Book and Creature Book from RQ3. Both contain useful information for those who do not have RQ3 (a very good essay on how to GM the first, and melee and ranged hit location charts for almost any shape of monsters the second). But they have little or no value for those who already own RQ3. Definitely useful to stop the unhealthy practice of hunting dusty old books on e-bay, but maybe they could have used a little adaptation, like the Magic Book.

Oh, and beware: they are Fantasy/Ancient/Medieval only. If you are into sci-fi or modern, there is nothing of interest to you there save the stats for sharks and crocodiles.

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

As far as I can tell, they've simply repackaged the master files they used for the black and white tape bound print only BRP monographs back in 2004 in up to date BRP style monograph livery.

I'm delighted they are available again, although I think it would have been better to get them adjusted to spell out the options in core BRP required to use them fully (as with Basic Magic) and billing them as "Basic Fantasy Creatures", "Basic Fantasy Gamesmasters" etc would have flagged that they are more genre specific than the core book.

But these are minor quibbles - it is very heartening to see that the BRP items page at Chaosium's catalogue now stretches over more than one page,and that's with major works such as Pete Nash's Rome not yet released from Alphetar.

Cheers,

Nick

PS: The full list of creatures in the previous BRP Creatures Book print monograph was: Allosaurus, Ant (Giant), Baboon, Bandersnatch, Basilisk, Bear (Brown), Bear (Polar), Beetle (Giant), Behemoth, Brontosaur, Broo, Cattle, Centaur, Chimpanzee, Chonchon, Crocoddilians (Small and large), Deer, Dog, Dragon, Ducks, Dwarfs, Elelmentals (Gnomes, salamanders, shades, sylphs, undines), elephants, Elves, Fachan, Ghosts, Ghouls, Giant, Gorgon, Gorilla, Grampus, griffin, Hafling, Harpy, Hawk, Headhanger, Hellion, Horse, Human, Insect Swarm, Jabberwork, Lamia, Lion, Lizard, Manticore, Minotaur, Mummy, Nymph (Dryad, Hag, Naiad, Oread), Octopus, Ogre, Orc, Panther, Plesiosaur, Python, Satyr, Sea Serpent, Shark, (medium and large, but alas, no lasers...), Skeleton, Spirit (Disease, Healing, Intellect, Magic, Passion, Power, Spell), Stoorworm, Tiger, Toad (Cliff), Troll (Cave and, er, non-cave...), Unicorn, Vampire, Werewolf, Whale (Sperm, Killer and Dolphin), Wolf, Wraith, Wyrm, Wyvern, Zombie.

Edited by NickMiddleton
Added creature list.

...anyone know in which BRP/RQ book I can find the charnjibber...

That would be the RQ3 Gloranthan Bestiary. sorry don't know where you can get one of these now. 1988 mine says on the back!

Ook! maybe I should read all of the posts before replying...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Yup. It's in the Gloranthan Bestiary. Utterly bonkers chaos beastie (Well that's Glorantha for you...how my players trembled when I reached for that book. Mind you Dorastar...now that was truly ludicrous!). Might dig it out if I have time.

Are we allowed to PM this chappy the Charnjibber stats or will litigious Gloranthan Chaos Spirits of Reprisal descend and feast upon our benighted souls?

I would like to buy the books if I can find them (PDF or paper), and if they have enough varied content.

Utterly bonkers chaos beastie (Well that's Glorantha for you...how my players trembled when I reached for that book.)

My players will really tremble; I want my Charnjibbers to have frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. :D

(Welcome to "RunePunk 2021 - 400 years onward" - something that crawled from a dark recess of my mind :shocked: )

Edited by dragonewt

Are we allowed to PM this chappy the Charnjibber stats or will litigious Gloranthan Chaos Spirits of Reprisal descend and feast upon our benighted souls?

Let's see them comes and get me! >:->

Seriously, if someone doesn't get to this in the next couple of hours, I'll write out the stats and pm you later.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Geez! The gamemaster's book has tables that are missing R's and T's. (see page 12)

Is some strange chaos horror from Sesame Street stealing all the letters?

EDIT: The table edits get worse - R, T, and L seems to be missing throughout most of the document's tables. Can't wait to see the Monster Book.

EDIT: I would seriously recommend that you do NOT buy the Creatures book. This file is missing numbers and letters. Not just in boxed text, but blocked text as well.

In case anyone will claim I'm being overly sensitive, here is the Stat Block for Broo

Broo

Characteristics Average

STR 2D6+6 3 Move 4

CON D6+ 2 5 6 Hit Points 6

SIZ D6+ 2 5 6 Fatigue 29

INT 2D6+6 3

POW 3D6 0

DEX 3D6 0

APP 2D6 7

Edited by Harshax

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Broo

Characteristics Average

STR 2D6+6 3 Move 4

CON D6+ 2 5 6 Hit Points 6

SIZ D6+ 2 5 6 Fatigue 29

INT 2D6+6 3

POW 3D6 0

DEX 3D6 0

APP 2D6 7

Methinks, the stat blocks are missing 1's and dashes? IIRC, the block looks like this:

STR 2d6+6 13

CON 1d6+12 15 - 16

SIZ 1d6+12 15 - 16

INT 2d6+6 13

POW 3d6 10 - 11

DEX 3d6 10 - 11

APP 2d6 7

Hit Points: 16

Methinks, the stat blocks are missing 1's and dashes? IIRC, the block looks like this:

STR 2d6+6 13

CON 1d6+12 15 - 16

SIZ 1d6+12 15 - 16

INT 2d6+6 13

POW 3d6 10 - 11

DEX 3d6 10 - 11

APP 2d6 7

Hit Points: 16

Despite Harshax being overly sensitive, he is correct. There are some definite issues with the Creatures PDF. Here and there are missing "1's" and "L's". The problem is with the PDF, not my printer BTW.

I'm sure the boys at Chaosium will get this corrected, but they have to be embarassed to see this make it out the "door".

Speaking from experience, there have been issues with some Chaosium PDF's and some PD readers - it would be helpful if people could confirm exactly what platform they are viewing PDF's on when experiencing difficulties - the last two I got from Chaosium don't display properly in Preview on my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.4.11) but are fine in Acrobat Reader 9 for Mac OS X for example.

This sort of info will help Chaosium narrow don the problem.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton