BRP Preview Images

Jason D

Since I got the go-ahead from Charlie Krank at Chaosium, here are some preview images of the proofreading copy of BRP.

This is a tape-bound edition being used for proofreading and final edits. Some contents may change, so this is in no way to be considered final.

I have chosen not to display the temporary cover, as it is a placeholder and I don't want to circulate any potential disinformation or add to the hysteria that accompanied the previous cover image.

The Title Page

TitlePage.jpg

The Table of Contents

TableofContents.jpg

The Intro

Intro.jpg

History of BRP

History.jpg

Character Sheet Front

CharSheet1.jpg

Character Sheet Back

CharSheet2.jpg

Character Creation

CreateCharacter.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

What I can read looks good. The revised skill categories look interesting. And the space for negative hit points...

Thanks Jason.:thumb::D

P.S> You write in you rule books in red marker? :eek:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I use a red marker when I proofread - it makes it easier to find the edits later on.

Soory, missed the "used as a proofreading copy" bit in my haste to look at the pics.:o

"Oooh, Strategy skill." :happy: That's a new wrinkle.

Chapter Eleven is called "Creatures", not "Bestiary" (under Non-human Characters option, p 16 & 19).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Cool to see that it exists!

The layout and illustrations look sane and practical... don't impede the read.

They're still using that gawdawful font though (I think Hobo is one name it goes by...)...

I hope it doesn't end up on the cover...

Yes its cruel hobo. When I design newspaper ads for my customers I use this font only if they explicitely want it. Voluntarly I would never use it. But whatever... if Charlie is a fan of it... :)

The rest of the layout looks functional. Nothing spectacular but ok. What I like about the pages is that there is alot of text and stuff on it. Not like the Mongoose cheat with wide borders and alot of line pitch.

So my first impression is good.

Thanks very much for the preview, Jason - thanks to Charlie too.

That looks great - very chuffed to see the page count of the Powers chapter, looks like there's room for a good bit of info there. Also the skills categories being on the character sheet by default - a nice bit of added sophistication without unnecessary complexity IMHO, I'm sure I'll use them.

Also liked the section on Chaos Features. Coupled with Mutations, I should have some nasty stuff I can plug into my Chronicles of Future Earth campaign straight out of the box!

I'll go back and ruin my eyes a bit trying to read some sections now... But looks very, very good. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Cheers,

Sarah :thumb:

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I suspect, based on a comment in the report, that there'll be some sort of advanced look or preview edition, but don't quote me on that.

Was this it? It's only a teaser! Just got me even more impatient to get it! :(

More! More! MORE!

:eek:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Since I got the go-ahead from Charlie Krank at Chaosium, here are some preview images of the proofreading copy of BRP.

Thank you both, very much appreciated.

This is a tape-bound edition being used for proofreading and final edits. Some contents may change, so this is in no way to be considered final.

Looks very good to me. I think the font looks fine for headings etc. on interior text - my problem was always the rounded "3d" colour version on the previous cover mock up we saw as a step too retro, but cruel hobo on it's own isn't a problem and the rest of the layout is classic Chaosium: sparse, clean, readable (heretical notion in a book I know...). And that looks like a decent index as well - very promising I'd say.

Also, my complements to the artists Chaosium has used for the interior illustrations - from the ones we can see there is a lot of excellent work in that department as well.

I have chosen not to display the temporary cover, as it is a placeholder and I don't want to circulate any potential disinformation or add to the hysteria that accompanied the previous cover image.

Very wise :D - albeit would I be correct in inferring from this that that previous cover mock up is definitely out and that, whilst the painting may be used, the actually cover may well be quite different?

Oh, and I like the look of the character sheet - I tend to do custom sheets for specific settings, but a good basic sheet is always a useful fall back.

Really promising and exciting Jason, I can't wait to see this book in my FLGS (albeit I'm also hoping there'll be a web-site only pre-order as they did with Malleus Monstrorum... :D )

Nick

Looks good, art is interesting without being intrusive, it's got a proper index ( hooray ! ), content seems well laid out. The font doesn't bother me one way or the other, as long as I can read it without my eyes hurting it's fine :D. Pages nicely filled up without loads of padding or margins. Definately gets a thumbs up from me.

Yes, amidst my bitching about the font I neglected to say 'thank you' for posting those images... much appreciated.

I probably wouldn't even notice the font if I hadn't once done a spell as a graphic artist and picked up a 'refined' taste for lettering... and constantly having to steer people clear of stuff like Hobo and Helvetica...

Looks absolutely great! Don't change a thing!

Seriously, I couldn't ask for anything more. :thumb:

I really don't understand the font thing. To me it is like not liking the color red. Fine, you don't like red, that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't.

I would also like more previews, but if you need to get the book back with those corrections, by all means do that instead. We need that book published as quick as possible.

Thanks again!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

I really don't understand the font thing. To me it is like not liking the color red. Fine, you don't like red, that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't.

As long as the font is legible and not something like 4 point, I'm not bothered, either. About the only RPG where I cared about the font was with CHILL 2nd edition. Somebody thought it was a neat idea to use a font that looked like it was written by a psychopath using a crayon (or in blood). Very moody and artistic. Not very legible.

By comparison Hobo just looks a little goofy.

Like I said... my hatred of Hobo is because I've been inordinately sensitized to such things...

In my mind Hobo is the font of choice of people who don't know better... it's poorly balanced... it doesn't flow... it's a bad font.

I don't really expect anyone else to care and it's REALLY not important... unless the people you are selling to also have that opinion.

What IS important is that the book exists and looks legible and has nice graphics and a table of contents and is chock full of goodness...

Like I said... my hatred of Hobo is because I've been inordinately sensitized to such things...

In my mind Hobo is the font of choice of people who don't know better... it's poorly balanced... it doesn't flow... it's a bad font.

I don't really expect anyone else to care and it's REALLY not important... unless the people you are selling to also have that opinion.

What IS important is that the book exists and looks legible and has nice graphics and a table of contents and is chock full of goodness...

Fair enough. The table of contents is nice, but the index looks like it will be really helpful.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

As long as the font is legible and not something like 4 point, I'm not bothered, either. About the only RPG where I cared about the font was with CHILL 2nd edition. Somebody thought it was a neat idea to use a font that looked like it was written by a psychopath using a crayon (or in blood). Very moody and artistic. Not very legible.

This chill handscript font was really awful from a modern designer point of view. But "catching the mood" by artistic exaggeration and using funky headline fonts was not uncommen at these times in many publications. I guess it had something to do with the new and cheap DTP machines where everybody and his dog suddenly could be a "designer". Now thankfully we return more and more to understatement technical or serif fonts. (ok there are still alot grunge fonts in use too).

Agreed.

I agree. Liking a layout or not is mostly an individual thing. I my job as graphic designer I learned that there are many different tastes out there. I met even people who thought A. Warhols art is bad.

Of course this makes the hobo font not better. :)

Guys, if you think that Hobo font is awful, you should see how people use Comic Sans here in Spain... :rolleyes:

Now, I would like to thank both Jason and the Chaosium guys for letting us have this peek at the book. I think it simply looks great... and this makes me all the more impatient. Sigh. :)

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

In a local used bookstore, there are copies of some of the Kult 2nd edition sourcebooks.

I hold these up as the standards of RPG materials clearly (over)designed without any practical thought to actual usage.

I'm not a huge fan of Hobo variants either, as they imply beergarden menus to me, but the graphical design of the book is outside my control.