Rogues' Gallery

Here's my hillman barbarian. He was built with the "heroic" stat option (2d6+6), but with normal skill point levels. I used the "complex" Skill Category Bonuses, too. I also used Step Six.

This is the first character I've made in any form of BRP since about 1983, so any input on how he looks mechanics-wise would be appreciated.

I'll be posting other characters to this thread as I make them, and would love to see others do the same.

And now, without further ado, I give you Kinan the Barbarian!

Name Kinan
Race Human Gender Male Age 18
Handedness Right Height 6' Weight 200 lbs.
Profession Tribesman
"Pulp" Personality Type Physical

STR 17 Effort Roll 85% Hit Points 15
CON 17 Stamina Roll 85% Major Wound 8
SIZ 13 Damage Bonus 1d6 Power Points 12
INT 11 Idea Roll 55% Exp Bonus 6
POW 12 Luck Roll 60% Move 10
DEX 15 Agility Roll 75%
APP 10 Charisma Roll 50%

Skills
Appraise 27%
Brawling 75%
Climb 71%
Club/Mace 75%
Craft: Blacksmith 33%
Dagger 43%
Dodge 75%
Fine Manipulation 23%
Grapple 75%
Hide 51%
Insight 30%
Jump 66%
Knowledge: Natural History 23%
Listen 40%
Persuade 22%
Ride 46%
Sense 35%
Shield 75%
Spot 75%
Stealth 46%
Swim 56%
Throw 75%
Track 51%

Items
Light Mace (75%/75%) 1d6+2
Heater Shield (75%)
Hide Armor (1d3-1)
[/HTML]

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

This looks most playable.

Well thank goodness for that! Splitting up the various skill points was mildly nerve-wracking. :)

You are using separate attack/parry skills; are you also intending to use over 100% skill levels?

Most likely, yes. It seems that's the best (only?) way to get to multiple attacks in a round. And if the folks I hope to get playing with eventually don't get a chance to make multiple attacks per round they'll start crying. And I can't have that! :)

Thanks for the feedback, badcat.

75/420

---

Next up, two conflicting wuxia heroines. Built with the heroic stats option (2d6+6), but with normal skill point levels. I used the "complex" Skill Category Bonuses, too. I also used Step Six.

For these two, the highest level of Super Powers was used as well, with the highest stat (modified) serving as the budget. Super Movement and Unarmed Combat are expensive.

Name Zhang Jen, The Thief of Destiny
Race Human Gender Female Age 16
Handedness Right Height 5'5" Weight 109 lbs.
Distinctive Features Graceful bearing, High Cheekbones, Lithe
Pulp Personality Type #2 (Crafty!)
Profession Noble

STR 10 Effort Roll 50% Hit Points 12
CON 14 Stamina Roll 70% Major Wound 6
SIZ 10 Damage Bonus none Power Points 59
INT 14 Idea Roll 70% Exp Bonus 7
POW 17 Luck Roll 85% Move 10
DEX 19 Agility Roll 90%
APP 16 Charisma Roll 80%

Skills
Appraise 42%
Bargain 25%
Brawling 65%
Craft: 32%
Disguise 31%
Dodge 75%
Drive: Wagon 11%
Etiquette 45%
Fine Manipulation 50%
First Aid 57%
Grapple 50%
Hide 30%
Jump 50%
Knowledge: Martial Arts History 52%
Language: Mandarin 50%
Language: Cantonese 20%
Listen 34%
Literacy 41%
Martial Arts 51%
Navigate 39%
Pilot: Boat 31%
Ride: Horse 25%
Sleight of Hand 41%
Status 75%
Stealth 60%
Sword 65%
Throw 35%

Powers
Unarmed Combat 1 (20)
Super Movement: Lightfoot 1 (10)
Leaping 2 (2)
Extra Energy 4 (4)

Items
Longsword (65%/65%) 1d8
Cloth Armor (1d2-1)[/HTML]

[HTML]Name Yeoh Shu, Friend of Wudang
Race Human Gender Female Age 30
Handedness Ambidextrous Height 5'4" Weight 104 lbs.
Distinctive Features Bright Eyes
Pulp Personality Type #3 (Outsmarter!)

STR 13 Effort Roll 65% Hit Points 13
CON 15 Stamina Roll 75% Major Wound 7
SIZ 10 Damage Bonus none Power Points 24
INT 16 Idea Roll 80% Exp Bonus 8
POW 14 Luck Roll 70% Move 10
DEX 16 Agility Roll 80%
APP 14 Charisma Roll 70%

Skills
Appraise 43%
Bargain 35%
Brawling 75%
Climb 59%
Club/Mace 45%
Disguise 31%
Dodge 75%
Grapple 67%
Insight 35%
Jump 54%
Knowledge: Accounting 53%
Knowledge: Business 53%
Listen 75%
Martial Arts 45%
Research 55%
Sense 50%
Spear 55%
Spot 75%
Stealth 59%
Technical: Traps 33%
Status 45%
Sword 75%
Throw 64%

Powers
Super Movement: Lightfoot 1 (10)
Leaping 1 (1)
Extra Energy 1 (1)
Unarmed Combat 1 (20)

Items
2 X Shortsword (75%/75%) 1d6+1
Cloth Armor (1d2-1)
[/HTML]

75/420

---

Great work, Pao!

It's nice to see someone actually doing something with the new BRP. I did not understand your references to "step 6" until I went back to the BRP preview images thread and read it - straining my eyes - in the two-page character creation spread. Very cool idea, and one which will probably find some use in my games.

These character write-ups also remind me of one of the things which I find most appealing in BRP: clearly readable, hassle-and-unnecesary-clutter-free stat blocks.

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

Great work, Pao!

It's nice to see someone actually doing something with the new BRP. I did not understand your references to "step 6" until I went back to the BRP preview images thread and read it - straining my eyes - in the two-page character creation spread. Very cool idea, and one which will probably find some use in my games.

These character write-ups also remind me of one of the things which I find most appealing in BRP: clearly readable, hassle-and-unnecesary-clutter-free stat blocks.

Thanks, Tweaker. It's been a long time since I've had this much fun playing with a new (to me) system. BRP is a joy to work with. And I know what you mean about the stat blocks. I've played too many games that were, shall we say, overgrown of late.

It's too bad that Step 6 is so easy to miss. It's a great concept and it really gives characters a nice little nudge in the right direction without forcing them into some straight jacket of a path. So far I've found that using it in conjunction with the "normal" level of skill points/caps allows characters to be competent in their core concepts but still have that nice little stretching out that non-class-based games allow. I'm certain my eventual players will appreciate that.

Now I just have to decide what kind of character I want to make next. I think it's time to move on to a more modern era. We'll see what falls onto the page next.

75/420

---

Step Six comes just before you get into "real" skill selection. the gist of it is that you choose a (my words here) personality type for your character that addresses the way he/she approaches problems and get 13 skills at 20% for "free." In the book there are four types listed: physical/combat, craft/technique, outsmart others, and persuade others. One could easily come up with additional setting-specific options, of course, but those are the canned options.

So, if you're building a straightforward martial sort, you might opt for #1 and get a couple of weapons, dodge, climb, jump, ride and so on. Or if you're thinking con man, #4 is the way to go. And so on. This frees up some of your skill points (260 points, actually!) to allow you to focus on broadening your character. Or to allow you to excel at some stuff that you might not otherwise due to limited points and skill caps at the lower power levels.

The book clearly lists this as an optional item and suggests it be applied to (paraphrased) those stalwart heroes of pulp action, space opera and high fantasy. So if you feel Step Six is overpowering you're not stuck with it being "on."

75/420

---