Chaos & Catacombs

threedeesix

As there has been lots of talk about D&D style campaigns using the BRP rules of late I thought I would come forward with my project for Chaosium.

Back in November I submitted a proposal for a BRP supplement to be called Hack-n-Slash. This was to be a spoof/parody of classic RPG campaigns, specifically D&D. Well, after not hearing back for a few months, I pretty much gave up on the idea when six weeks ago I got the go ahead from Dustin.

The first thing I did was find out Hack-n-Slash has been used so I ran a bunch of “classic sounding” names by my group and settled on Chaos & Catacombs: Adventures in Hack-n-Slash.

The game is based heavily on some stuff I wrote to continue our old D&D campaign while playtesting BRP. And while firmly a parody, is also a cleverly disguised D&D style RPG with conversions of all the classic classes and monsters, while keeping the freedom of the BRP game system.

As of right now, I have finished the first draft of…

Chapter 1: Introduction

Chapter 2: Characters

Chapter 3: Skills

Chapter 4: Powers

Chapter 6: Combat

Chapter 11: Creatures (to be finished this weekend)

I have converted the alignment system over to the allegiance system, added a detailed miniatures combat system, a clerical spell system which is a variant of the magic system and conversions of “classic” spells like magic missile.

I have had loads of fun writing it, at times laughing so hard tears came to my eyes as I visualized what I had written.

I hope to be looking for playtesters soon.

What follows is a brief introduction to the game.

Rod

What is Chaos & Catacombs?

Remember the good old days of role playing? Remember when character background was the color of your character sheet and not a four page short story. Remember when there were no mamby-pamby point buy methods? Instead you rolled the dice and took what you got… then you wined about it until your GM let you roll again?

Well its 1982, it’s Friday night, and you’ve gathered with your friends in your parents basement after a long week of High School. Sure, you could be at a party with a beer in your hand and a girl on your lap, but this is so much better. Your about to kick open some doors and kill some unsuspecting monsters. In these younger days of role playing, what eight orcs are doing in a 10’x10’ room is less important than what their treasure rating is, and rescuing the beautiful princess isn’t something you do because its morally right, but because of the 1000 gold piece reward, plus the chance of a little hanky panky cant be ignored either.

So, rip open the Cheetos and pass out the Mountain Dew. It’s time to play some Chaos & Catacombs.

Note: The makers of Chaos & Catacombs do not condone the attending of parties, the drinking of alcohol or practice premarital sex.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds an absolute blast - congrats Rod! Are there gonna be tons of cartoon-like illos? I remember back in the Good Ole Days all the "funnies" from the DMG (well, I *was* twelve... being able to dress myself was a major achievement in those days... :lol:)... plus the "Troll Jokes" from Wyrms Footnotes... there's an ancient and honorable tradition to follow!

My big question of course is whether the tiny girl with the unfeasibly ample chainmail bikini will actually be able to continue wielding the six-foot greatsword day in day out with no signs of fatigue or - perish the thought! - muscle development? Inquiring minds with too much time on their hands want to know!

Plus, of course, are go going to include creature stats for that critical adventurer sidekick-cum-pet, the Lert?

Chalk me up for a copy.

Cheers!

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I'm interested. This sounds like a perfect vehicle for introducing my current Castles & Crusades group to the joys of BRP. "Hey guys, how about instead of C&C we play some C&C tonight?"

Too bad you choose to make it a parody. A serious game along those (simulate D&D with BRP) I would snap up multiple copies of. A parody? DOA.

I think the humor/parody factor would depend more on the mindset of the individual group. Sort of like Hackmaster, another RPG that can be played "seriously" despite its parodic origins...

I'm interested. This sounds like a perfect vehicle for introducing my current Castles & Crusades group to the joys of BRP. "Hey guys, how about instead of C&C we play some C&C tonight?"

I think the humor/parody factor would depend more on the mindset of the individual group. Sort of like Hackmaster, another RPG that can be played "seriously" despite its parodic origins...

When I run it I run it serious and did all through the playtest of BRP. The parody aspect is a good way to use all the good stuff without the joy of a lawsuit or being accused of ripping off D&D. Also, when reading a new rulebook I like to laugh, and hopefully I succeed at making a few others laugh as well.

But for the most part, there are NO silly spells, NO silly classes and NO silly monsters (except some had to get name changes to avoid copyright, enter the Peeping Sphere).

And I'm really proud of my optional chainmail bikini rule complete with Wardrobe Malfunction Table.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Sounds an absolute blast - congrats Rod! Are there gonna be tons of cartoon-like illos? I remember back in the Good Ole Days all the "funnies" from the DMG (well, I *was* twelve... being able to dress myself was a major achievement in those days... :lol:)... plus the "Troll Jokes" from Wyrms Footnotes... there's an ancient and honorable tradition to follow!

As of right now my brother is going to do the artwork for me. We're both artists but I don't want to spread myself to thin. He's going to try humorous.

My big question of course is whether the tiny girl with the unfeasibly ample chainmail bikini will actually be able to continue wielding the six-foot greatsword day in day out with no signs of fatigue or - perish the thought! - muscle development? Inquiring minds with too much time on their hands want to know!

I spent two weeks reality checking the chainmail bikini/great axe combo and found that the lighter armor balanced the weight of the great axe to the point that muscle development was kept to a minimum. ;)

Chalk me up for a copy.

Cheers!

Sarah

Chalk you up? I now consider it a pre-order and will hit you with a re-stocking charge if you cancel. :)

Rod

Sounds like a great addition to the growing list of interesting BRP books. I don't keep very up to date with the hobby as such, but it seems there's a definite trend of back to basics roleplaying, humourous or not. All those 1st Ed (A)D&D games, even a The Fantasy Trip look-alike.

(Some people must have gotten fed up with angsty vampires. Now that is ripe for a spoof game.)

I know SJG are doing something similar with their GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy series.

Something like this for BRP would be great fun. :thumb:

I hope to be looking for playtesters soon.

Oh, yes please!

I need this. I was there, all those years ago... And so was the gang of old-time D&D-ers I have just this very evening promised to do BRP with over one big weekend in July (if that timescale is any good to you?). This could sell them on BRP for ever.

Also, my regular weekly group is 4 kids, 1 Powergamer and 1 Serious Roleplayer, who normally suffer my own D&D-to-nearly-BRP conversion homebrew. It might be just up their street too.

My Hope: they won't notice it's a parody. :lol:

My Fear: it'll be identical to my usual games! :eek:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Oh, yes please!

I need this. I was there, all those years ago... And so was the gang of old-time D&D-ers I have just this very evening promised to do BRP with over one big weekend in July (if that timescale is any good to you?). This could sell them on BRP for ever.

So, no pressure on my part then right? ;)

Also, my regular weekly group is 4 kids, 1 Powergamer and 1 Serious Roleplayer, who normally suffer my own D&D-to-nearly-BRP conversion homebrew. It might be just up their street too.

My Hope: they won't notice it's a parody. :lol:

My Fear: it'll be identical to my usual games! :eek:

It should only be a parody if they read it. I've resisted the temptation to make a parody of the creatures. For instance I had to force myself to avoid a variant of the basilisk that had a breath weapon with an ability called "Turned to Stoned" where he would breath on you and you would have to make a POW vs POW roll, fail and you roll on a table with results like "get the munchies, drop what your doing and dig through your pack for a trail ration". Instead your going to find the classic big eight-legged reptile.

I've added you and anyone else that showed interest to my potential playtester list and will contact you when I get closer.

Rod

For instance I had to force myself to avoid a variant of the basilisk that had a breath weapon with an ability called "Turned to Stoned" where he would breath on you and you would have to make a POW vs POW roll, fail and you roll on a table with results like "get the munchies, drop what your doing and dig through your pack for a trail ration".

Let me guess... a "bongalisk"? :lol:

This has been highlighted? Fantastic, as it fills a hole that I think Chaosium has with their new product. In fact, I've been planning on running 'Dungeonland' Magic World pdf in honor of Gygax. However, with two job changes and a move in my local group, gaming's been scarce recently. Consider me sold.

And I'm really proud of my optional chainmail bikini rule complete with Wardrobe Malfunction Table.

Uhh... yeah, probably going to skip this optional rule... (Although, rules for chainmail bikinis are awesome! I've no need to add the slippage.)

plus the "Troll Jokes" from Wyrms Footnotes... there's an ancient and honorable tradition to follow!

What's the difference of a Dwarf in an ore shaft and an Ogre in a fancy restaurant?

-One delves in his wells for iron, one dwells on his elves a'fryin'.

-One bores for the dwarf's ore, one's bored with the hors devours.

-One knows his picks, one picks his nose.

Yeah, I liked Wyrms Footnotes.

70/420