BRP hardcover errata

Sam E.

[EDIT: See post #7 for my compiled list.]

Hi - new to BRP, new to the forums, first post, be nice to me. :)

Is there an errata sheet for the BRP hardcover? I swear I've done a million searches, and can't see to find one. It's probably one of those stupid "it's right in front of your face" sort of things ...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by kreider204
  • Like 1

Hi, nclarke - thanks very much, I appreciate the help. However, I think that's an errata sheet of things that were wrong in the softcover and were corrected for the hardcover - at least, they seem ok in my copy.

That's the problem I'm running into - I can find softcover errata, but not hardcover. Worse, it seems some softcover errata were corrected for the hardcover, but some were not. I was hoping someone had collated all the errata still left in the hardcover for convenient reference.

That's the problem I'm running into - I can find softcover errata, but not hardcover. Worse, it seems some softcover errata were corrected for the hardcover, but some were not. I was hoping someone had collated all the errata still left in the hardcover for convenient reference.

Most of the "errors" are some rules and explanations, not really errors in case of wrong numbers. (They are there, though).

I have a fully updated BRP PDF addressing all the errors and will try to make it available. Although I own the hardcover book, I have no idea if they are fixed in there. As far as I know this is not the case, as Chaosium only included the errata from the old BRP WiKi we had. And not all errors were included there.

OK, so here's my Errata for BRP. I included everything I could find so far, and corrected it according to discussions in the forum.

The Zip fils includes a PDF showing the page, the location of the error and the corrected text on a new page. It also includes a PDF you can print and replace the page in your book. Also, I included the Errata file for people owning Adobe Acrobat Pro, so you can import the file and see the comments and corrections in your BRP PDF.

But beware, it _replaces_ the error and I did not match the fonts correctly. It does not look ugly, but is not perfect either. Also, the edited PDF does not show well on an iPad (I have a different version for that, including only annotations, not the replacements).

I hope folks find this useful. I will also send the file to Charlie and Dusting, maybe they can edit the PFD and make the corrected version available.

BRP Errata PDF and Print

• Like 1

Okay, I went through your errata PDF and made a simple text list. I didn't include those that were already corrected, and I included a few others I found in the forums or in my own reading. If I've made any errors, or if anyone else has any errata that they've found in the hardcover, let me know and I'll add them.

Thanks again!

Pg. 17, 22, 381: There should not be boxes in front of the Status skill or the blank specialty line below it.

Pg. 17, 22, 381: The First Aid skill starts at 30% or INTx1% (depending on the setting period).

Pg. 24: Next to “Step Nine,” it should probably say “possessions,” not “profession.”

Pg. 26: In the Character SIZ Chart, the entry that reads “205-\” should probably read “205-210.”

Pg. 52: Artillery Specialties should reference pg. 268, “Artillery Weapon Classes.”

Pg. 55: Drive is a physical skill, not a manipulation skill.

Pg. 62: Under “Heavy Weapon, Base Chance,” Weapon Classes are on pg. 257 (not 248).

Pg. 82: The "success" result for Teach says "(minimum 0)" while page 184 says you can actually lose ground (not sure which is correct).

Pg. 95: The cost per level for Control (in the chart) should probably be 3 (to match the description).

Pg. 95: “Flame” should probably be named “Fire” (to match the description on pg. 97).

Pg. 95: The cost per level for Ward should probably be 3 (to match the description on pg. 102).

Pg. 95: “Wound” should probably be named “Wounding” (to match the description on pg. 102).

Pg. 98: Strike the first two sentences of the last paragraph of the Invisibility spell.

Pg. 147: Defense should probably be 5% per level (to match the description on pg. 151).

Pg. 159: Strike the first two sentences of the last paragraph of the Invisibility power.

Pg. 172, 384: The Skill Results Table rounds fractions up instead of rounding them normally.

Pg. 184: See the erratum for page 82 above.

Pg. 208: Minor Wounds cost less than half (not “half or less than half”) of total hit points.

Pg. 214: The last sentence of the first paragraph under “Autofire” should be deleted.

Pg. 215: In the first italicized example under “Big and Little Targets,” replace +30% with +15%.

Pg. 224: In the text, the fiery boat or house fire damage should probably be 2D6 (as per the table).

Pg. 255: The skill for Brass Knuckles is Hand, not Brawl (Brawl is still the Base).

Pg. 265: The skills for artillery should be by artillery weapon class (see pg. 268).

Pg. 267: In Note 1, it should probably read “1D6 per range increment” (as per “Explosives” on pg. 222).

Pg. 268: The Shrapnel rules don’t seem to work for modern artillery, which has better damage as is.

Pg. 296: The metric ton weight for every size 72 and up is wrong; shift them each up one step.

Pg. 329 ff.: Several “Creatures” have the Artillery skill; each should indicate one or more artillery classes.

Pg. 360: In the Cyborg powers, it should read “Defense 2” (not 20).

Edited by kreider204
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

There are a few other bugs in there. Here are some to add to the list:

On page 224, in the text it says being caught in a house or boat fire causes 1D6+2 damage per round (the same as a bonfire), but the burning points table on the same page lists a burning house as doing 2D6 damage per round.

The "Comparative SIZ table" on page 296 is messed up. THe metric mass for SIZ 64 is 6455-700kg, and the mass for SIZ 72 is 6.7-7 metric tons. Since 1 metric ton = 1000 kg, the masses are the same. So every metric mass from SIZ 72 is off. You need to shift the rows a step.BTW, Chasoium keeps reprinting this error over and over for decades.

The section on explosions, on page 222, says that the damage drops off 1D6 per range increment of the explsoion, and gives a stick of dynamite as an example, but Note 1 for the Modern Explosives Table on page 267 states that damage done each meter past the initial radius decreases by 1D6 per meter.

The Shrapnel spot rule on page 268 doesn't really work for modern artillery. Just about every piece of modern artillery in the game has a greater area of effect and damage without using the shrapnel option. For example a Field Gun does 10D6/2m radius. Depending on which rule for explosions is correct the gun will be doing at least 2D6 damage out to 10m (the table), or 16m (the explosion rules). Either is better than the 1/6th of 10D6 (about 1D10) out to 10m.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

There is a difference between the table given in the skill Teach, page 82 :

"SUCCESS: Your character’s lessons take hold, offering a chance for improvement. At the end of the teaching interval, the student rolls 1D6–2 for skill gain (minimum 0)."

And the "same" table, page 184 :

"A SUCCESS indicates your character gains 1D6-2 points in the skill being studied. The maximum increase possible is 4 percentiles, and there is a chance that your character will learn nothing (2 – 2 = 0) or even lose ground (1 – 2 = –1)."

So... What is true? Minimum 0 or not minimum 0? And the other rule has to appear in the errata, of course...

In my humble opinion, the minimum 0 is better: it is not fair that, when the Teach roll is successful, there is still a risk of fumble (- 1%).

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Baulderstone said:

This is why RPG rule books should be printed on real paper instead of that shiny stuff. I can lightly pencil in errata in the margins on paper without permanently defacing the thing. 

I have given up on marginalia and use postit stickers instead. They make looking up those passages easier, too.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 9 months later...

That's a good question.  I thought I heard that the BGB would be available as POD at some point.  It would be lovely if there were some corrections added (they took care of quite a few between the softcover and hardcover, IIRC), but I won't get my hopes up - I'm sure they have plenty of more important projects to worry about right now.

Yes, they have plenty of other projects to worry about. The BRPS Essentials, which was first announced for the Gen Con, has been postponed to... a later unknown date. But that's not a problem for me. I prefer a book which come late but which has been refined that something which is published when announced but not really finished.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...