Shared World Map Proposal

Rurik

First off is should the edges of the world be all (frozen) ocean - which would make the landmass an island - or part ocean and part land as shown?

I made part of the ocean to come right up to the sky mountain as I thought some boiling oceans would be nice - in a hot hellish sort of way.

The scale is off - we need to decide how big the world is. I'm thinking maybe 8-10 thousand miles for the whole of the world map. On that note do we use Imperial or Metric measures? I tend to prefer Imperial for ancient settings and Metric for future settings.

I'd like to keep this thread focused on the world map itself. I'm opening another thread for more general geography topics.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Guest Vile Traveller

Imperial measures sound better in fantasy, although RQ was always metric and I can't get my head around miles and feet and stuff. How about keeping it metric, but make up our own names?

1 cm = 1 thumb

1 m = 1 stride

1 km = 1/2 league

1 litre = 1 flask

etc.

If the world is going to be this size, definitely stick with the 'pillar' for the Sun - although you could start the foothills a long way out. The physical geography would then be determined mostly by distance from the centre (it gets flatter further out), but with some local variation.

In a fantasy setting, frozen sea or frozen land both have different sub-surface opportunities. Under floating ice, you can have arctic underwater environments. So, I would say keep the map as-is, with both types of frozen waste available.

Imperial measures sound better in fantasy, although RQ was always metric and I can't get my head around miles and feet and stuff. How about keeping it metric, but make up our own names?

1 cm = 1 thumb

1 m = 1 stride

1 km = 1/2 league

1 litre = 1 flask

etc.

I like that lots. I'm all in favor of it.

Guest Vile Traveller

I've added a brief section to the Wiki, hopefully someone with more time and poetry can expand on it.

settings:measures [basic Roleplaying Wiki]

It also touches on time. I suppose, to keep things simple, it's best to keep normal measures of time as well as seasons? Days and months would need to be re-named, I think - although maybe one could go with the old system of just numbering them, as when "October" still meant "eighth month". Just use "8th month" in a different language and tweak it a bit to make it sound different - Jugatsu in Japanese, something like "Jugameth" or "Jugary"? There's probably a better language to use, though. Or how about just sticking with Latin just using the numbers as they were meant to be while keeping 12 months, so "January" becomes "Ianuary", etc.?

I think a shared world just needs a few of these basics so that everyone can fit their settings in neatly.

I put two new images on the Wiki.

The first has a spot for The Green that conforms to the map of the Green and puts in in the right climate zone. I'm not really crazy about shape of the rest of the world but hey, there is nothing there yet anyway.

The second is actually a very old one with a central land mass as an island, so I figured I'd throw it up for discussion. I'll probably use the map style of this one once the map really starts to take shape. The simple B&W maps are quick to throw together for roughing out the map.