Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I was cruising the Metacreator site asking peeps if it was compatible with a game system I was desiging.

Several peoples sent me messages saying my system was pretty identical to CoC and BRP.

I've played /DMd dang near everything from blue book DnD back in '78 to 4.0 .

Top Secret, traveller, Gamma World, Rolemaster, Star Frontiers, Star Wars (d6 and d20), Star Trek(old school).

Anyway I decided to make my own system that took the best of these ideas and put them together.

Little did I know Chaos did the work for me. I dowloaded the quick start and freaked out. Some of the system was almost word for word identical to what I was attempting. I found a BRP gold book at the RPG store in town(25% off) and tore into it.

I laughed. I cried. I cursed aloud...

It is almost identical to my system. So here I am. A new fan of what a friend of mine calls "The greatest game no one knows about."

A few house rule tweaks and it will shine.

Glad to be a part of this community and would like to thank Chaosium for doing so much of my design work for me.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

My name is David. I started out with RPGs as a wee tyke, and have been a fan of the original Call of Cthulhu RPG and (The) Chaosium since the former's second edition (GW boxed set!). I like "Old School" AND "New Wave" RPGs, boardgames, and miniature wargames, but have a marked preference for games with slim rulebooks.

Trained as an archaeologist and historian, currently working in a university library. British expat/ US immigrant, living on the USA's East Coast, near the City of Brotherly Love. As an elderly British gamer, I have many fond memories of the days when White Dwarf published Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, and even Stormbringer material.

Oh. And I joined to learn more about the upcoming 7th edition of CoC (which I only heard about in the last week or so, so I guess I'm kinda out of the loop!).

Cheers,

-- David

• 9 months later...

A long time ago I learned to read English via Robert E. Howard. A while after that I was introduced to Dungeons & Dragons 0-2nd edition. However, for reasons of opportunity and social anxiety I've never been able to play that often. What I have the most experience with is d20 D&D, which leaves me cold.

Despite my lack of playing I have accumulated a gigantic stack of roleplaying books and an even larger stack of digital copies from RPG now, etc. The d100 games have had several settings that interest me, such as Glorantha and the Young Kingdoms (I have an Elric fetish, mmk). I own about 25 D&D/AD&D clones and variants (Wakboth bless the OSR) and an edition or two of almost every game here (Stormbringer!, Elric, Runequest 3e, MRQ I & II, Legend, OpenQuest, Age of Shadow) and enough Glorantha/Young Kingdom stuff to overload Pan Tang. I even have a boatload of Judges Guild stuff from my uncle (the guy who gave me the Conan books) and the only experience I have with playing d100 is JG SoloQuest using the Stormbringer 1e from the boxed set.

Despite my lack of playing I have accumulated a gigantic stack of roleplaying books and an even larger stack of digital copies from RPG now, etc.

Welcome.

You'll find an easygoing d100-presence on G+ as well. So if you're looking to use your big pile of books and flash drives, pop in there as well.You might be rolling up a character before you know it.

Welcome.

You'll find an easygoing d100-presence on G+ as well. So if you're looking to use your big pile of books and flash drives, pop in there as well.You might be rolling up a character before you know it.

I loathe Google and all its products, heh. I refuse to use their mobile Apps. Several of them are integrated with my phone and I forcibly disabled them. I have Chrome, but only because Roll20 requires it.

Edited by QueenJadisOfCharn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I've been roleplaying for almost 20 years, with some long pauses. The first game I ever played was Call of Cthulhu. I always thank to have started playing with a BRP game. My first impression about RPGs was of freedom and wild imagination. In all these 20 years I tried many other games and systems but never got the same feeling as with BRP. The first game I GMed was Stormbringer 4th (1st or 2nd in spanish editions) and discovered Elric and Michael Moorcock through it.

I've played and/or own this BRP games:

- Stormbringer 4th

- Elric!

- Stormbringer 5th

- Call of Cthulhu 5.5

- Nephilim

- Aquelarre (a Spanish game)

- Avalon Hill RuneQuest

I also developed a RPG system with some BRP influence, which I self published, and another "generic2 system with narrative aproach. I've been lurking this forum for around a year or two. I'm very pleased with the general tone and info around. I'll try to contribute as much as I can!

It's been a while since y last wrote in english so I apologize for any weird sentence or expression!! O:)

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

It is a friendly and helpful forum, so welcome aboard! There are a lot of people here whose first language is not English and it is sometimes hard to tell.

"Freedom and wild imagination" describes BRP/RQ games very well - I like that.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

My first experience with BRP and roleplaying was in the mid 80's with the swedish game Drakar & Demoner (still published!), a clone of Worlds of Wonder. It immediately caught me, and the stories we created completely absorbed me. Soon I was playing both Runequest, for the more detailed rules, and Call of Cthulhu, that I still consider one of the best game ever. Nowadays I'm mostly a casual reader of RPG books, recent favorites being Ashen Stars, Trail of Cthulhu, Harn and OneRollEngine.

I have visited BRP Central many times as a guest. Liking what I have seen, I decided it was time to become a member : )

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 2 weeks later...

Another new member.

I've been playing RPGs since the 80s and my BRP experience includes Elfquest, Runequest (2nd & 3rd edition) and Call of Cthulhu. I've played a ton of other stuff ranging from every edition of D&D to dirty hippy indie games. As well as the popular 90s games like Shadowrun and White Wolf's World of Darkness games.

I've gotten sick of most RPGs and now pretty much limit myself to running Runequest (2nd) and playing Call of Cthulhu. It's what I like. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

It's much better than in December, where for one day it got as cold as the surface of Mars. :(

I think my favorite thing about BRP/RQ/CoC is that it doesn't try to be all fancy. I describe the situation, you describe what your character does, we use the system as needed and it all just works.

EDIT: Re: your avatar: Ebih-Il always looks so happy :D

Edited by NathanIW

• 2 months later...

Hello all. Names Jim. I've been playing RPG's for over around 30 years. Mainly D&D and D20 based systems. Well, I finally realized that I am not that interested in character building and doing a lot of math in my games. I run a local RPG meetup group where we do one shots. I have decided to change over to BRP for these games rather than using Pathfinder.

I just bought the (BRP) Gold Book and "Magic World" in hopes that I can start running adventures with those rules. Considering I have a ton of Pathfinder/AD&D/BASIC/3.5...(you get the drift) materials, I will probably be searching these forums to figure out how to convert stats to BRP.

I have a many great Old and New School fantasy adventures I'd like to run using BRP. When I realized I could bring in CoC elements into my fantasy games using the same stats I was sold. I'm ready to create a wonderful world for my players all with simple seamless rules. I'm looking forward to no more arguing about what feats/skills do or players complaining about not leveling, and forgetting all the bonuses and debuff etc.. When I GM, I don't even want the players to know the rules necessarily. I just want them to role-play and create a story together and leave the mechanics to me.

Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks for being here forum people.

Jim

Hi Jim! If you like CoC you'll love BRP for fantasy. I'd think of it as grafting fantasy elements onto CoC basics. The magic system is, of course, critical. I've heard good things about "Magic World" so you should be fine.

I like your newfound philosophy of gaming, I feel much the same.

If you poke around the net you can find OSR-type adventures translated to BRP. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Jim! If you like CoC you'll love BRP for fantasy. I'd think of it as grafting fantasy elements onto CoC basics. The magic system is, of course, critical. I've heard good things about "Magic World" so you should be fine.

I like your newfound philosophy of gaming, I feel much the same.

If you poke around the net you can find OSR-type adventures translated to BRP. Good luck and keep us posted!

I will keep you all posted for sure. I will be trying to work into the system some type of advantage/disadvantage system like Fantasy Flight Games does with Star Wars Edge of the Empire. I may give narrative control to the characters when the crit or fumble. Since I haven't read through the books yet, there may already be something there for that.

Also, Baron, what do you mean by "The magic system is, of course, critical." I find the magic system for CoC intriguing but not very applicable for one shot location based games. I mean, some of the spell in CoC take days (in game) to prepare for if I recall that correctly. Of course, when I run a full on campaign it will be grand.

I meant that the choice of a magic system is critical to any fantasy rpg. Especiallywhen you're putting it together yourself, or trying to emulate something. Combat and task resolution are fairly simple mechanics, and can be done in innumerable ways, but coming up with, or fine-tuning a magic system is crucial to the success of fantasy gaming.

From what I've heard of "Magic World," that should work just fine for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I've posted a few times now, so I figured perhaps it was high time I said "howdy." So... howdy!

I've been playing RPGs for A Long Time, running the gamut of games from the blue box Call of Cthulhu to TOON. Unfortunately my experience with Chaosium games has been limited to CoC and the occasional foray into Stormbringer. (I've been running a Lovecraftian game using EABA for a while but finally switched to CoC because of the Sanity rules and the experience/advancement system.)

I'm putting together a high-fantasy game to run as a palate cleanser between CoC sessions, tossing intricate narratives and angst out the window in favor of Grimtooth-style traps and dungeon crawls. Because I'm an idiot I'm cobbling together the BGB, Magic World, the Magic Book, Hârn, Blade's Citybook series, AD&D's Lankhmar, and this thing that I found on the sidewalk that's warm to the touch and makes a slight whirring sound when exposed to light.

So: how're you?

Howdy SokMundi - You will like the fact that it is easy to cobble together various BRP things into a workable Frankenstein creation, or an elegant set of rules, depending how things turn out.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here