Arrrgh Pirates!

IndianaKen

Greetings fellow BRP'ers As you no doubt saw in the Beetle Ramblings, I am finishing up a monograph for Chaosium, Arrrgh Pirates!. I should have this submitted by the end of the month.

Arrrgh Pirates! covers the Golden Age of Piracy, giving you options to play from straight historical to over the top cinematic. It includes a variety of rules options, most notably new powers and an advanced naval combat system. Also in the monograph is a mystical history setting, Bokors and Broadsides.

I need some people who would like to aid the playtesting in these last three weeks. I had two groups of playtesters, but one has disintegrated (one guy bought a house, one guy has a new girlfriend, etc...). ANyone interested, please PM and I'll fill you in on the particulars.

Ken Spencer

Greetings fellow BRP'ers As you no doubt saw in the Beetle Ramblings, I am finishing up a monograph for Chaosium, Arrrgh Pirates!. I should have this submitted by the end of the month.

More monograph goodness - excellent. :thumb:

Arrrgh Pirates! covers the Golden Age of Piracy, giving you options to play from straight historical to over the top cinematic. It includes a variety of rules options, most notably new powers and an advanced naval combat system. Also in the monograph is a mystical history setting, Bokors and Broadsides.

Sounds great. I will pick up a copy.

I need some people who would like to aid the playtesting in these last three weeks. I had two groups of playtesters, but one has disintegrated (one guy bought a house, one guy has a new girlfriend, etc...). ANyone interested, please PM and I'll fill you in on the particulars.

Ken Spencer

Sorry, but good luck nonetheless. :thumb:

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

I'll join in the chorus of "Hey, this sounds cool! I'd love to help you playtest, but..."

And in my case it boils down to not being able to get my group together to play the things we're already committed to playing, let alone to playtest something on relatively short notice. Oy :)

Still, it sounds great and I'll be sure to pick up a copy once it's available, me hearty.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Trifletraxor:

I'l make an announcement on the Basic Roleplaying Yahoo! group to see if we get some takers there.

Thanks, that would help. Thanks to all who have expressed support for Arrrgh Pirates!

What I am looking for inplaytesting is less of a group of people playing the game, but more of some floks who would be interested in rolling up some characters using the optional rules and running through some naval battles to make sure I've got all the bugs worked out of the mechanics.

Trifletraxor:

What I am looking for inplaytesting is less of a group of people playing the game, but more of some floks who would be interested in rolling up some characters using the optional rules and running through some naval battles to make sure I've got all the bugs worked out of the mechanics.

Oh, this I can manage.

charles.a.green@gmail.com

Trifletraxor:

Thanks, that would help. Thanks to all who have expressed support for Arrrgh Pirates!

Ahoy then. I can definitely take a look at making some characters, if you still need help. gweeze-at–yongi-dot-org is the address, cap'n.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Ok... I wasn't gonna say anything... cause most likely I'm the only one of this opinion... but I kind of hate the name you've chosen... 'Arrrgh Pirates!'

I like pirates games as much as anyone but that name just sounds silly to me... if I saw it on a book at the store I'd expect that it was a lite comedy pirate game for kids.

From your description it sounds a lot more interesting than that... and it sounds like it's got a bit of inspiration from On Stranger Tides and the PotC movies... but really, even if I owned it and was gonna play it I'd be tempted to cover over the name cause it's just kind of lame.

Other than that I'm excited about it. Really.

I quite like the name... :thumb:

...although it very much evokes a very humourous type of gaming as noted, so may not be desirous if the book is intended to look at piracy in a more serious vein.

If aiming for a PotC-type game I have to say I think it isn't neccessarily unfitting.

Edited by leonmallett

(...)cause most likely I'm the only one of this opinion... but I kind of hate the name you've chosen... 'Arrrgh Pirates!'

I like pirates games as much as anyone but that name just sounds silly to me(...)

I agree with Simlasa. It sounds very tongue-in-cheek and also too reminiscent of the upcoming AFMBE supplement Argh! Thar Be Zombies, for which that kind of tongue-in-cheek name seems far more appropriate.

Other than that, I am interested. Will this contain any material facilitating using it with CoC?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Vorax Transtellaris:

Other than that, I am interested. Will this contain any material facilitating using it with CoC?

There is a small amount of material in the Campaigns section, but a CoC Pirates book would be a whole separate monograph. This is something I am considering, but my writing schedule is full for now (a very good thing).

Of course, the BRP is compatible with CoC, so you could use almost all the material. I might put in an appendix converting the new professions into CoC occupations, but that's dependent on getting the rest of the document finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Simlasa. It sounds very tongue-in-cheek and also too reminiscent of the upcoming AFMBE supplement Argh! Thar Be Zombies, for which that kind of tongue-in-cheek name seems far more appropriate.

I have to agree with all those who dislike the name.

Sails On The Horizon... I like that much better.

Strange Sails... I like that too

Flying the Skull... meh

Red Waves

Names I wouldn't go for:

Blow the Man Down

Arrgh!... Where's Me Parrot?

Scallywag Surprise

Barnacles n' Booty

Some of those sound like a very different kind of gaming! :eek:

Oh those pirates...

Edited by leonmallett

• 2 weeks later...