Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast

Thread: CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    The weird and wonderful ways of Chaosium!

3d6, I also wanted to ask you about the Read Magic ability of Magic Users and Illusionists. In some places in CF it sounds like this is a skill, and says something like "if Read Magic is successful" (sorry, I don't have the book with me at the moment). Isn't Read Magic always successful? Did you mean it to be a skill then change your mind later?

Nick
    I think I found the part your referring to. On page 81, under Spell Books: "A magic-user can use another casterís spell book, if he or she can read it (with a successful use of Read Magic), and can make a successful roll of INT x1%..."

Yup, that was a hold over from waaaaay back. Originally Read Magic required a roll to succeed, but I decided it was so basic to a magic-user that
    no roll should be required, just the expenditure of a magic point in the case of an unknown spell book or scroll.

So, in this case, think of the "if it succeeds" comment to mean "if the mage expends a magic point". That way I didn't "F" it up again.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Classic Fantasy can handle anything 1st ed. AD&D can throw at it!

I just put Classic Fantasy up against it's ultimate test last night. I am running the classic 1st ed. module G1-3 Against the Giants, and I'm running it completely unmodified. I really intended to reduce the numbers of creatures encountered as I always figured this adventure just couldn't be run using BRP, and more than likely, it couldn't have before the Big Golden Book with it's cinematic options. When I used to play 3rd ed D&D, I wanted to run that old classic again, but there had been so many changes that there was no way to do it without reducing the number of giants in some of the encounters. After last nights game, I can honestly say, Classic Fantasy can handle 1st ed AD&D better than later editions of D&D can.

My party just went through a meat grinder of an encounter. I honestly thought this was going to be it. The death of my long time group. The very party depicted through out all the examples in the Classic Fantasy books.

First, just so you know. My party of 6 is powerful. Most have combat skills in the 110% to 130% range now, giving them each 2-3 attacks. Second, Classic Fantasy assumes Total Hit Points as apposed to averaged. But I also use Hit Locations, so individual locations still have fewer than 10 hit points on average. So getting hit by a giant with a +3D6 (on average) damage bonus is going to leave a mark. Finally, my group has some rather nice magic items and armor.

The encounter took place in the Great Hall of the Hill Giant Steading. Encounter number 11 for those wanting to read along, and consisted of the following...

1 Hill Giant Chief
    1 Hill Giant Sub-Chief
    1 Female Hill Giant (the chief's wife)
    1 Cloud Giant (visiting dignitary)
    3 Stone Giants (also visiting dignitaries)
    22 Hill Giant Warriors
    8 Ogres
    1 Cave Bear

At the end of the 4 hour encounter, played out tactically using the miniatures combat system, the giants all lay dead, many burned and charred corpses from the magic-user Rengarths tactical use of Fire Ball, some of the others literally chopped in half at the abdomen by our raging half elf barbarian Lorissa or missing their heads due to the lethal attacks of the paladin Sir Drake. We had our tiny halfling thief Lilly Tanglefoot striking from ambush from under tables and the Cleric Alexandra crushing skulls with her magic flail. Our Ranger Sorack was launching 2 or 3 arrows per round and managed to initiate the first kill of the battle by dropping the Cloud Giant with an arrow of giant slaying that he has been carrying in his quiver now for over 8 real years hoping for a chance to put it to use.

There were some close calls, some uses of fate points to change a bad roll or avoid an instant kill. But the great thing about BRP's Fate Point system is it can only be counted on maybe twice then the average character is out of them.

So as the enemy lay smoldering and dismembered, it was time to take stock of the party. Sorack the Ranger was in dire shape, having taking a massive crushing blow to his right arm totally shattering all the bones from his shoulder to tips of his fingers (hit points brought fully negative in arm). He lay unconscious from shock and the arm would be forever useless if not magically healed within 15 minutes, and the Cleric Alexandra with a few rather minor wounds herself was the extent of the casualties in the party. Magic healing was used to bring Sorack back up to just a few hit points short of full and Alexandra was able to take care of herself with only first aid. With this the party retreated to a secret room found earlier to rest and regain spent magic points, knowing that the only one with knowledge of the rooms existence lay dead in that huge hall.

So there you have it. I really needed to run this adventure to playtest some of the big baddies to be found in Classic Fantasy II and make sure I could use Classic Fantasy to run the very adventures I was trying to emulate. So far, so good.

Rod
    Last edited by threedeesix; June 13th, 2010 at 16:31.
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I DEFINITELY need to run Classic Fantasy! Players watch out! the Temple of the Frog is coming!
    Hmmm - Classic Fantasy + Call of Cthulhu....

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, sounds like a great game session! Really getting me psyched up for the game.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rod,

Would really appreciate if you could scan and post their original character sheets AND their current character sheets (along w/ magic items, etc) to give us an idea on how YOU run the campaign.

My best,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I figured I would show three pics I took of the battle with the giants noted above. I own thousands of metal minis but no longer use them because it's just easier to print out what I need for a specific adventure than to spend days digging through my collection. Plus, I had no where near the number of giants I needed anyway.

The first is the very beginning of the combat, where half the group enters from the northern doors while the rest come through the secret door and into the shadows. The giants are all sitting at tables in the midst of a massive feast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCFC0014.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	435

The second picture shows the head table (to the south) after the magic-user takes most of them out with a fire ball. The ones lying down are actually still alive but on fire. The rest of the giants and ogres move to engage the characters to the left and at the norther end of the hall, where only the mage and ranger are at the moment.

Name:	DCFC0016.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	433

Finally, the last pic shows the events just before they got bad for the ranger, one of the seven giants crushes his arm and puts him into shock. The mage lobs a fire ball over the onrushing mob and takes out the 7 giants and ogre that you see flattened in the middle of the map (they were moving in on our cleric). Then as the mob continues to rush north, right at him, he uses an action to cast teleport and jumps across the room to the southern most point, right where my hand is in the picture.

Name:	DCFC0018.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	434

I had a bunch of pics, but those are the only ones that came out half way decent. I figured I would attach them to give a better idea of the massiveness of the combat.

Rod
    Last edited by threedeesix; June 14th, 2010 at 23:10.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by USAFguy View Post
    Rod,

Would really appreciate if you could scan and post their original character sheets AND their current character sheets (along w/ magic items, etc) to give us an idea on how YOU run the campaign.

My best,
    Mark
    Hey Mark,

I no longer have their starting character sheets. This party has been around for longer than Classic Fantasy has. I did make adjustments to them throughout the playtest however so that they are now 100% Classic Fantasy characters and no longer a blend of D&D, RQ3 and Stormbringer.

I have no problem with uploading them for others to take a look at though. There is a lot of magic items on their sheets that are to make an appearance in the next book, some explained on the sheets, some not. They are kind of the Iconic characters for Classic Fantasy and I did intend on including beginning versions of them in the first book but never got around to it.

I'll see about uploading them in a day or so and I'll link to them here.

Rod
    Last edited by threedeesix; June 16th, 2010 at 13:00.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even the current sheets would be great. Are the magic items fairly straightforward?

You know, we're expecting even bigger things with your next supplement!

My best,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by USAFguy View Post
    You know, we're expecting even bigger things with your next supplement!
    Thats why I'm playtesting giants.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mark, and anyone else interested. I just uploaded the Classic Fantasy characters as the were at the very beginning of Against the Giants.

They can be found in the downloads section at this link...

http://basicroleplaying.com/download...do=file&id=344

These are the same characters found through out the Classic Fantasy books in the various examples and have been around for a looong time. They started out as D&D characters twelve or so years ago, then got converted to BRP using RQ and Stormbringer. Then when getting involved in the BRP playtest they were updated again to the Big Golden Book and finally used extensively to playtest Classic Fantasy.

As of right now, they are current and 100% Classic Fantasy. They are NOT beginning characters by any stretch of the imagination. Like every long time group, they have a pretty amazing back story, and I try to use it extensively when writing the examples.

Included are...

Alexandra, cleric of Apollo
    Sir Drake, paladin of Nimue (the Lady of the Lake)
    Lilly Tanglefoot, halfling thief
    Rengarth of Black Tower, human magic-user
    Sorack Blackwolf, elf ranger
    Lorissa of Stormholm, half-elf barbarian and devout follower of Sif

Also included is Lorissa's sheet when she rages (watch out)

The only thing not included is the magic-users owl familiar named Rassiter,
    and the clerics "pet" psudeo-dragon, snaggletooth

They have quite a few magic items, as would any long time group of D&D-like adventurers and while most are self explanatory, some may not be, so ask questions if you have them.

Thanks for your interest.

Rod
    Last edited by threedeesix; June 16th, 2010 at 13:26.