WITCHCRAFT - Basic Roleplaying Rules for Witchcraft in Different Settings

Trifletraxor

brp-witchcraft.jpgThe village wise-woman creating herbal mixtures to cure her neighbours of the latest plague to curse their homes, the crone who disguises herself as a beautiful young woman to entice men to their doom, the travelling warlock who trades in potions and talismans which may or may not be truly magical. These are all examples of witches; men and women for whom witchcraft is an art and a profession.

Within this monograph you will find new spells common to witches, rules for brewing magic potions and rules for creating talismans - a new kind of one-shot magic item in which the witch invests a portion of their soul for a short time. There are also descriptions of various witches’ organisations, and optional allegiance rules for flavouring magic ‘black’ or ‘white’.

BRP: Witchcraft is a monograph best suited to Dark Ages, High Medieval, High Fantasy, Arabian Nights and Renaissance settings. However, there is nothing to stop you playing a modern witch selling magic potions under the table at a local diner or an apocalypse survivor rediscovering the old ways.

By Byron Alexander. 76 pages. Published by Chaosium December 2010.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I highly recomend this for those that enjoyed Classic Fantasy as the entire potion rules contained within my book are based on those created for BRP Witchcraft. Byron was nice enough to let me use them. :thumb:

Also, I am creating an NPC class for my second book based on the witch profession from BRP Witchcraft. However, my witch will be using existing CF spells due to space limitations, players are encouraged to use BRP Witchcraft for a more "witchy" feel for their spells. So those wanting even greater detail for their CF campaigns cant go wrong with Byron's detailed work.

And again, congrats for seeing this come to light. :party:

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 1 month later...

Once again where is the Deadtree or "printed" version of this book? I only buy "printed" versions of anything, inwhich I then add to my 32+ yr growing library of gaming stuff. I hope that this work comes out soon as it has been out now since before Christmas 2009.

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

Hey I just don't want to read it, I want to buy a copy plain and simple. The more I can get in the way of resource material, the better off I am in adding more into my own game. Plus I like have as much reference materials as I can get my hands on too.

Penn

Ok I have sent a email to Chaosium's Customer Service, asking when the product will be offered in a 'printed" format for sale by them. Hopefully I will get some type of a answer from them. If I do I will post it here for the rest of you to see.

Penn

Ok I have sent a email to Chaosium's Customer Service, asking when the product will be offered in a 'printed" format for sale by them. Hopefully I will get some type of a answer from them. If I do I will post it here for the rest of you to see.

Penn

I'll want to see proof. ;)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Penn

I tried that a couple weeks ago and got no reply.

121/420

Yes I got my email notification this AM that it is now available in printed form, I even went to their sight to double check...and it is there for purchase. Now if the Green would also become a printed version, I could pick up the rest of the books that I want.

Penn

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got my new (4) products in the mail yesturday and have yet to have any time to even look through any of them. I will though begin with Witchcraft and move on to the other three after that. I look forward to the many other products to come up for sale in the near future, just hope that The Green will eventually be offered as a "printed" version.

Penn

Ok I had the time to read the book and it is great...you did a awesome job. It will be extremely useful resource. Now if I could just get a book on BRP - Knighthood that would be AWESOME too! Any takers...I would love to see that next. Witchcraft is well worth buying and adding to anyones library.

Penn

Ok I had the time to read the book and it is great...you did a awesome job. It will be extremely useful resource. Now if I could just get a book on BRP - Knighthood that would be AWESOME too! Any takers...I would love to see that next. Witchcraft is well worth buying and adding to anyones library.

Penn

High praise indeed. Thank you very much, coming from someone who's been gaming as long as you have it means a lot!

Byron you are welcome, and it is a good book to own. For me I have always had Witches in my campaign, so it is great to see what someone else would or could do with them. Now I would and plan to go more indepth than you did, but that is just my style. You've done the ground work for me and I can just flush out my own "flavor" and "style" to add to what work you have already done. Once again, it is a awesome work and well worth the price of buying a "printed" version. I salute you Bryon for a job very well done!!!

Penn

You've done the ground work for me and I can just flush out my own "flavor" and "style" to add to what work you have already done.

That's the intent really, I much prefer to have a framework around which I can add my own style and I assume others do too. I like the toolkit approach BRP has and I want anything I write for it to be a toolkit as well.

Hey you have the style that I like, now can I get you to maybe write a book for BRP on Knights<BG>?

Penn

I have to say I'd love to see something like this as well. A book covering all sorts of chivalric paths, maybe an adaptation of the Pendragon Passions rules, stuff about Quests, Treasures, and monsters. I'd pick that one up in a heartbeat.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 3 months later...

I just downloaded BRP Witchcraft, looking for some ideas for my Thule setting, and got more

than I had hoped for - your supplement will help me to add a lot more colour and detail to the

setting, and the Old Religion approach fits perfectly well.

Thank you very much. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)