Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Necromancy

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Necromancy

Following up on Witchcraft I'm thinking of asking Dustin if I can do a Necromancy monograph. It'd go into real-world Necromancy (which was, essentially, divining the future by asking the dead) but concentrate mostly on the fantasy definition of all sorts of Death Magic. I'd also create a system for Liches for BRP. Everybody loves undead sorcerors/magicians, right?

Would people be interested in this? Would I be stepping on the toes of any monographs still in the works?
    Last edited by Byron Alexander; March 2nd, 2010 at 03:08.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Necromany should have more basis on Paranormal and Occult issues and elements I would think. Dealing with talking to the Dead, such as Ghosts or Haunts. I would try to focus on the New Age views, rather than the Fantasy D&D view!

I would like it regardless...I'll take a "printed" copy of it once it is out!

Penn
    Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd be interested. Necromancy is always a useful magic system to have in place, either for players in a darker game, or in the hands of the GM for NPC use.
    5/420

Downloads
    Uploads

(Rubbing hands) Did someone say "Liches"?
    "Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

The Thirteen Wives (RQ3 Campaign)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bygoneyrs View Post
    Well Necromany should have more basis on Paranormal and Occult issues and elements I would think. Dealing with talking to the Dead, such as Ghosts or Haunts. I would try to focus on the New Age views, rather than the Fantasy D&D view!
    Honestly, if I were to concentrate on this kind of thing - real-world New Age necromancy, spiritualism, etc. etc. I could easily go on for an entire monograph (I'm curently in training to become a ghost-tour guide and I actually know a real-life necromancer who looks like Baron Samedi... seriously). However, I suspect there is more of a market for the fantasy angle so I wouldn't concentrate solely on it. I could make that bit bigger than I had planned, though, in deference to the fact that you (and some others at least) would be interested.

Thalaba,

HELL YEAH LICHES! I've always liked them as a concept and would definitely go into them were I to do this monograph.

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely go for it. Bring us new spells, new enchantments and rituals, new powers, and new types of undead, preferably including ones based on less well-known real-world myths and legends. Maybe some non-European sources could give us some interesting new takes on what undead can be and do, and how they might behave.

But, one big thing to cover is how different cultures might define and respond to necromancy differently. A civilized culture that mostly follows orthodox religions might call a shaman summoning his ancestor a necromancer and freak out about the evil of disturbing the dead, but surely his own tribe will have a drastically different perspective on it when said ancestor teaches a new spell to a warrior of the tribe. But, the same tribe might revile a rival tribe's shaman for capturing and binding one of their ancestors's spirits. These sorts of culture clashes can create plot hooks and open the door to interesting stories. So talk about that! Tell us what social roles necromancers fill and how they might fit into different societies and environments. Give us ideas for interesting ways to use them in our adventures and game worlds.

Similarly, talk about how there can be different kinds of undead, some of which might not be intrinsically evil. Imagine the willing spirit that animates a corpse to defend a sacred tomb - that's way different than binding a near-mindless, blood-mad spirit into a body to create a ghoul that feasts on the flesh of anyone intruding near the necromancer's lair. They're created differently, they're likely to have different powers and weaknesses, and they should act differently too. OH, and bring on the liches!
    Pyronnic

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tours

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Alexander View Post
    (I'm curently in training to become a ghost-tour guide and I actually know a real-life necromancer who looks like Baron Samedi... seriously)
    I went on one of those midnight ghost tours in Edinburgh a few years ago and it was a blast. Was especially good to see my wife jump out of her skin. Although she was pregnant and was warned that it might be too much for her to take.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only caution I would offer is that there is a pretty good Necromancy system as an extension of the Sorcery system available in the now OOP Bronze Grimoire supplement for Elric!/Stormbringer, so it's conceivable Chaosium might re-issue that material reworked to be non-setting specific (as they did with the RQIII Magic Book): indeed, if there is an old BRP game supplement that's begging to be "BRP-ified" and released to support BRP it's The Bronze Grimoire (closely followed by Liber Ka for Nephilim).

Contact Dustin - there's certainly an opening for such focused supplement at present.

Nick
    My friends and I walked the Coast to Coast last summer for Meningitis UK - thanks to everyone who donated, we raised 2,544.50
    Uncounted Worlds
    Outpost 19 SF Adventure for BRP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Pyronnic View Post
    But, one big thing to cover is how different cultures might define and respond to necromancy differently. A civilized culture that mostly follows orthodox religions might call a shaman summoning his ancestor a necromancer and freak out about the evil of disturbing the dead, but surely his own tribe will have a drastically different perspective on it when said ancestor teaches a new spell to a warrior of the tribe. But, the same tribe might revile a rival tribe's shaman for capturing and binding one of their ancestors's spirits. These sorts of culture clashes can create plot hooks and open the door to interesting stories. So talk about that! Tell us what social roles necromancers fill and how they might fit into different societies and environments. Give us ideas for interesting ways to use them in our adventures and game worlds.

Similarly, talk about how there can be different kinds of undead, some of which might not be intrinsically evil. Imagine the willing spirit that animates a corpse to defend a sacred tomb - that's way different than binding a near-mindless, blood-mad spirit into a body to create a ghoul that feasts on the flesh of anyone intruding near the necromancer's lair. They're created differently, they're likely to have different powers and weaknesses, and they should act differently too. OH, and bring on the liches!
    I certainly planned to go into the morality of Necromancy. For example, animating the dead might be an act of Black Magic if in your world this is achieved by binding the unwilling spirit of the departed. However, if the spirit is willing or it is simply an act of animating the dead without involving the departed soul at all then it is not intrinsically evil. I really don't think you could produce a good all-worlds Necromancy supplement without going into the ethics of it - if you ignored it's just be the 500lb gorilla in the room!

I'll e-mail Dustin now.

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Alexander View Post
    if you ignored it's just be the 500lb gorilla in the room!
    And who can ignore a 500lb undead gorilla.

Good luck with this, necromancers have always been my favorite bad guys in campaigns I have run. Hope we can continue to share ideas.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/