Build a Better Monster Contest, Part II

seneschal

The trouble-making Demi-God from Chinese legend, scaled down to merely superhuman levels.

Sun Wukong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Monkey King

STR 14

CON 14

SIZ 8

INT 12

POW 20

DEX 22

APP 15

MOV 10

Hit Points: 21

DB: 0

Powers: Super Characteristic: DEX (15), Super Characteristic: POW (9), Extra Hit Points (10),

Alternate Form*(x5)(100), Extra Energy (5), Flight (3), Invisibility (8), Leap (4) , Size Change (Shrink)(7), Size Change (Grow)(12), Super Movement: Lightfoot (10), Super Skill: Bo staff(4), Super

Skill: Acrobatic (4), and Unarmed Combat (40). (Total Power Cost: 231)

Mutation: Hands (x2)(for feet and tail).

Magic:Change, Dispel, Light, Lift, and Illusion.

Skills: Climb 88%, Dodge 66%, Jump 60%, Grapple 50%, Martial Arts 70%, Perform: Acrobatics 95%, and Boasting 95%.

Weapon Skill % Damage

Bo Staff 85% 1d6

Notes: If you know any spoiled two-year-olds then you know the personality of the Monkey King. Arrogant, impulsive, and petulant, the only sure way to get him to do anything is to specifically forbid it.

*Suggested Alternate forms would be trout, dragon-fly, snake, bear and ox.

No, no, no, no, and yes. What I got is a very old SIZ table that continues a pre-existing progression.

THe normal RQ3 SIZ table is used as the basis for the SIZ tables in CoC, and BRP. On the table, SIZes from 8-88 use a logrymic double progression. Every doubling of the mass equal +8.

50kg is SIZ 8, 100kg is SIZ 16, 200kg is SIZ 24, and do on. Then after SIZ 88 the table jerks around in fits and starts and is practically useless. After SIZ 330, the SIZ is 1/10th the weight (in short tons).

Now, Showa-era GOjira has a mass of 20,000 tons. If we assume those are metric tons (most likely as his other measurements are given in meters), then he would weight about 22100 short tons, and be SIZ 2210. Since we know he can body slam King Ghidoran, who has a mass of 30,000 tons, we can work out GOji's STR at around 3315. Now those numbers are a bit hard to work with, as would Gojira +344D6 damage bonus, not to mention his very high armor score (about 1000 points if he is to fight other giant monsters).

But, if we just continue the doubling progression used from SIZ 8-88 beyond SIZ 88 we get much more user friendly values (see Goji's stats above), and a consistent progression in SIZ, STR and damage bonus. We now know that something that something 32 SIZ larger than another something, is 16 times the mass and weight, no matter what SIZ you you are dealing with.

Erasamus and I have been using that progression to write up Kaiju stats, and one thing we noticed is that the doubling scale makes it much easier for the Kaiju to interact with each other. Hojira with a mass of 20,000 ton (SIZ 156) and STR 170 (lift about 62,000 tons), can go to the resistance table with a 40,000 ton MechGojira (SIZ 165) which he couldn't do with the linear scale used in BRP.

We might have to fudge hit points a bit for vehicles using this scale (probably makes sense since a ton of steel is tougher than a ton of flesh), but otherwise it seems to work out nicely.

Wait. Guys, help me out here. I read through your calculation stuff, but I'm not entirely sure I understand the idea of Godzilla hitting 150 on the SIZ stat. The back of the Malleus Monstrorum states that after 330 or such, it becomes 1/10th scale - thus a 80,000 ton Dhole has a SIZ 8000. Why are we ignoring this for Godzilla? He has an established tonnage of 20,000 some, thus SIZ 2000, right? And I know you said that absurd damage bonus was, well, absurd - but that doesn't make sense for him?

Or wait. Did I misread it? Are we talking, like, on a sort of different scale? Like a giant monster specific table, so the totals are reduced? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing.

The trouble-making Demi-God from Chinese legend, scaled down to merely superhuman levels.

Sun Wukong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Monkey King

STR 14

CON 14

SIZ 8

INT 12

POW 20

DEX 22

APP 15

MOV 10

Hit Points: 21

DB: 0

Powers: Super Characteristic: DEX (15), Super Characteristic: POW (9), Extra Hit Points (10),

Alternate Form*(x5)(100), Extra Energy (5), Flight (3), Invisibility (8), Leap (4) , Size Change (Shrink)(7), Size Change (Grow)(12), Super Movement: Lightfoot (10), Super Skill: Bo staff(4), Super

Skill: Acrobatic (4), and Unarmed Combat (40). (Total Power Cost: 231)

Mutation: Hands (x2)(for feet and tail).

Magic:Change, Dispel, Light, Lift, and Illusion.

Skills: Climb 88%, Dodge 66%, Jump 60%, Grapple 50%, Martial Arts 70%, Perform: Acrobatics 95%, and Boasting 95%.

Weapon Skill % Damage

Bo Staff 85% 1d6

Notes: If you know any spoiled two-year-olds then you know the personality of the Monkey King. Arrogant, impulsive, and petulant, the only sure way to get him to do anything is to specifically forbid it.

*Suggested Alternate forms would be trout, dragon-fly, snake, bear and ox.

I like it. You've captured the essence of the character, within the limits of BRP's super powers rules. Good job! The only thing I'd add is a good Fast-Talk and/or Intimidation skill, since he tends to do a lot of both to try and get his way.

• 1 month later...

Grendel, monster of Anglo-Saxon legend.

STR 30

CON 22

SIZ 25

INT 10

POW 16

DEX 21

HP 23

DB +2d6

SAN 2/1d8

Weapon % Damage Special

Fist 66% 2d6+db

Fling

Opponent 40% (d6)d6+db Foe is flung d6x3m away.

Armor: 6 point rubbery skin, all locations. Note that due to Mutation Grendel only takes ½ damage from edged weapons.

Powers: Super-sense (hearing) (8 levels) and Major Mutation (Hardy).

Skills: Dodge 42%, Listen 70%, Stealth 40%, and Throw 44%.

Appearance: A flayed giant, with long, twisted limbs and a grotesque, over-sized head. Grendel is normally timid, preferring to remain in his watery grotto with his monstrous mother. However, loud noises in the range of his extremely sensitive hearing can drive him to a murderous rage.

• Like 1

Good write-up. However, I have trouble reconciling the shy momma's boy you describe with the ravenous critter in the poem who likes Danish for breakfast. ;)

To think that the debacle began as a simple domestic disturbance; King Hrothgar could have avoided the whole thing by having his soldiers turn down their stereos.

Warriors: "Crank it, baby. Yeah! Battle of the bands."

Grendel: "Can't ... stand ... disco!"

One thing I could never determine from the story was exactly how far Castle Heorot was from Grendel's lake. In the versions I read, it seemed like a pretty good trek. Which begs the question: Just how loudly were the Danes singing and carrying on? And just how sensitive was Grendel's hearing (since he was in a cave, beneath a lake, a pretty good walk down the hill from the mead hall)? ;D

Edited by seneschal

Toad for BRP

Source: Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908

WANTED:

TOAD

For Grand Theft, Hijacking, Reckless Endangerment, Escape, Resisting Arrest, Disturbing the Peace, and Impersonating a Washerwoman.

ALIASES:

Toad of Toad Hall; Elias Jeremiah Toad II, Esquire; They call me MISTER Toad; The Sultan of Speed; “Mad Wheels” Toad; Agnes the Washerwoman

DESCRIPTION:

Suspect is 4-feet, 10-inches tall, weighs approximately 60 pounds, has extremely long legs for his height, large yellow eyes, wide mouth, webbed fingers and toes, and damp, warty skin. No distinguishing scars, marks or tattoos. Was last seen wearing washerwoman’s cap and dress.

REWARD:

10,000 pounds for information leading to the capture and arrest of this convicted felon. Subject is to be considered armed and extremely dangerous. If sighted, do not approach, do not attempt to apprehend. Contact your local constable or police station immediately.

STR 10

CON 17

SIZ 7

INT 13

POW 10

DEX 16

APP 12

SAN 35 (originally 50)

Move: 10

Hit Points: 12

Damage Bonus: +0

Armor: None

Attacks: Brawl 25%, 1D3 + DB; Grapple 25%, 1D3 +1/2 DB

Skills: Bargain 39%, Climb 40%, Disguise 35%, Dodge 32%, Driving (horse cart) 20%, Driving (automobile) 20%, Driving (motorcycle) 20%, Etiquette 39%, Fast-Talk 45%, Insight 39%, Jump 40%, Language (English) 65%, Listen 25%, Navigate 44%, Persuasion 39%, Pilot (boat) 35%, Pilot (hot air balloon) 20%, Pilot (Wright Model A airplane) 20%, Spot 25%, Status 49%; Swimming 40%

Notes: I started to base Toad on the Dilettante profession in Call of Cthulhu but finally decided that the Confidence Man profession from the Investigator’s Companion was a better fit, given his checkered career. In the book, Toad was fascinated by a succession of boats and four-wheeled land vehicles only, but I figured it was only a matter of time until motorcycles and aircraft caught his attention as well. The Wright Model A was being manufactured by European licensees during the era in which The Wind in the Willows takes place.

Grahame, unlike C.S. Lewis, never gives us dimensions for his talking animal characters. When dealing with other animals, they seem normal animal size (and children’s book illustrators tend to depict them that way). On the other hand, Toad was large enough to operate various man-sized vehicles, to peer through the windows of human dwellings, to appear in a human court of law without special restraints, and to impersonate a (short) woman. I settled on just under 5 feet tall, with weight to match.

Usually I don’t include SAN for characters created with the Big Gold Book, but Toad practically requires the stat, whether the Mythos Knowledge skill exists in the campaign or not. He’s a classic manic personality, co-dependent on his trio of faithful friends to get him out of the trouble he causes. Fortunately, despite numerous crashes and wrecks, Toad has managed not to kill anyone (so far) and to injure only himself. If Toad ever actually took the time to learn to operate his many vehicles, he’d have a personal fleet to rival that of Bruce “Batman” Wayne.

250 skill points plus 130 personal skill points = 380 points. 34 each plus 6

• 1 month later...

Yeah, over the years I have begun to really dislike the needless killing of natural creatures in my games. If my players stumble across a bear in my RQ campaign, for example, and they kill it. They then discover that it was only defending its cub, or it was stalking something really dangerous and might have been helpful, or something just NASTY happens to then in return.

So when I'm creating new critters I'm not thinking 'this will make a good combat opportunity' I'm thinking 'why is it here, what is it doing, what does it want'. Most of the time the critter is essentially unaware of other societies (when you are talking about beasts they just don't understand) but that doesn't mean that it does not have a motive and an objective of its own. And I think having access to that motive can make a creature more than just a combat encounter.

Anyway, thanks for the nice compliment. My RQ gang are going to bump into a couple of these tonight :)

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

• 1 month later...

Inspired by Seneschal's Ship of Monsters Post.

Space Vixen, comely invader from the stars!

STR 10

CON 12

SIZ 10

INT 16

POW 15

DEX 12

APP 17

DB 0

HP 17(11+6)

Move 10

Skills:

Command 44%, Dodge 30%, Dance 65%, Energy Weapon (Pistol) 44%, Persuade 56%, Pilot Spacecraft 50%, and Science: Cosmo-physics 65%.

Weapon

Raygun

Damage

1d8+2

Attacks/Round

Range

15 m

Ammo capacity

Powers:

Psionics: Telepathy and Eidetic Memory

Other Powers: Additional Hit Points (+6), and Super Movement (athletic grace in stiletto heels).

Super-garment: the metallic singlets and micro-skirts worn by these shapely aliens is in fact one of their greatest technological developments.

Indestructible and self-cleaning.

Adaptibility (3). These brief garments generate micro-climatic controls that allow the wearer to function in otherwise hostile environments.

Extreme cold.

Extreme heat.

Vacuum ( a fish bowl helmet appears, providing a breathable atmosphere).

Defense (3). -15 to attacks made against the wearer.

Armor(6): 3 points of armor versus kinetic and energy attacks.

Weaknesses:

Space-girls want love. Space Vixens are extremely susceptible to seduction attempts by square-jawed terrestrial heroes. In such seduction attempts, if the hero has an APP of 16 or more, he gets two rolls, and uses the better roll.

Space Vixens love to dance! In the presence of rhythmic music the Space Vixen must roll her INTx3% or less, or immediately stop what she was doing to perform a flirty twist.

Lousy shots when it matters. When using her ray-gun against Player Characters the Space Vixen rolls twice, and uses the worse roll.

Cosmo-Physics: Space Vixen physics is based on principles that baffle the male mind. Any attempt to use their technology by males is at -20%.

Notes: Coming to earth for nefarious purposes, these beauteous cosmic travelers are usually thwarted by a weakness for steely-eyed earth-men and go-go dancing.

Edited by 1d8+DB

• 2 weeks later...

Uk, the Mexican Cyclops

Mexican filmmakers (and apparently audiences) love the Universal Monsters. The national cinema had been influenced by U.S. horror imports starting with the Spanish-language version of Tod Browning’s Dracula in 1931, a film which in many respects improved upon the English language version shot at the same time. Mexican fantasy and science fiction movies have featured vampires ever since, and Mexican cinematographers also created their own versions of the Wolf Man, the Frankenstein monster, and the Mummy. One U.S. monster they apparently couldn’t duplicate was the Creature from the Black Lagoon. So instead they created a substitute to fill out the monster pantheon: Uk the Cyclops. The choice may have been influenced by a little-known U.S. science fiction movie, The Cyclops (1957), which was set in Mexico.

Forget ancient Greek mythology. This Cyclops is an alien space creature imported by would-be invaders for nefarious purposes. The muscular 7.5-foot humanoid has a domed head with large pointed ears that flap, a single eye on a stalk like a snail’s, a Cookie Monster-like muzzle filled with sharp fangs, rough armored hide capable of deflecting revolver shots, and large three-fingered claws. A mane runs from the top of Uk’s head down its back. The Cyclops is sentient and can speak fluent Spanish but prefers to let its claws do the talking. Uk is strong enough to uproot and lift large trees. Despite its talons and formidable dental equipment, it absorbs its prey’s tissues by unknown means, leaving the intact skeleton standing in the victim’s last living attitude and position. In combat Uk will pick out the biggest, strongest-looking opponent to attack first as the most worthy adversary.

Uk was introduced in The Ship of Monsters (1960) and returned in Santo and Blue Demon Against the Monsters (1970). In the first film it was electrocuted during a grand brawl with a robot. In the second it was supposedly destroyed when the mad scientist’s laboratory blew up. But we all know cinematic monsters only stay dead until the next movie.

STR 70

CON 18

SIZ 23

INT 10

POW 12

DEX 11

Hit Points: 21 (41 CON + SIZ option)

Damage Bonus: +5D6

Armor: 20/5 (kinetic, heat)

Attacks: Bite 40%, 1D10 + DB; Claw 50%, 1D6 + DB; Grapple 55%, 1D3 + DB

Skills: Climb 40%, Dodge 22%, Language (Spanish) 50%, Listen 65%, Spot 45%, Throw 45%, Track 35%

• 3 weeks later...

Okay people let's list some monsters, or templates that are totally invented, or existing modified existing templates. What made me think of this? Well I was reading Poetry and the Gods and I started thinking of how we can make sense of the Gods of earth existing with Mythos critters. So here goes.

Okay I was thinking of using the stats for Jinn as per Cthulhu Invictus, page 116.

Generic Jinn

I'm using these as stats for the normal Gods of Earth, as if we go by mythology there were three races: Angels or Devas (beings of light - see CoC: Dark Ages - Old Ones), Humankind, and the Jinn (composed of smokeless fire).

History

Origin

They inhabit an unseen world in dimensions beyond the visible universe of humans. Together, the jinn, humans and angels make up the three sapient creations of God. The Qur'an mentions that the jinn are made of a smokeless and scorching fire but also physical in nature, being able to interact physically with people and objects and likewise be acted upon. However, individuals retain different attributes of their true form, so no two jinn are alike.

Second Age

After Ahura Mazda formed the Holy Ones (see CoC: Dark Ages - Old Ones) he then created the Jinn. They walked the world when it was young and treated it and the species as a plaything. They watched indolently when the Kings of Atlantis struggled against the creatures that emerged from a rift in the ocean floor. The lives of mortals meant nothing, all they wanted was adoration. Then something odd happened, some managed to drain the collective psychic energy and use it to empower themselves with. Some gained so much power that they became the equal of the Elder Ones and where they trod, all fell in abject fear.

Characteristics

Generally depicted as beings with godlike powers, they are beings that have been worshipped as Deities or Gods throughout history, and on many worlds. They are a race of immortal preternatural beings, and each is a prime authority in the religion or pantheon that they established or belonged to. Despite having a role in human religion and possessing free will, the majority of them are cruel, petty, uncaring, and only concerned with themselves and their survival. Some of them are neutral, but the majority are evil. Their natural skin colours range from obsidian black to milky white, with eyes varying from violet to gold.

Abilities

Biology

Although immune to harm from conventional weapons, it must be noted however a sufficient injury from certain sources can still kill them although it would require being at ground zero to a relatively large explosion, or having their whole body immersed in extremely corrosive acid, or going through a wood chipper being prime examples. Whereas humans have blood, they bleed something called Ichor which is an ethereal golden fluid that is toxic to mortals in close proximity. This same fluid shares some characteristics with Ambrosia.

Certain gods and creatures are immortal, unable to die by the passage of time, immune to all human and supernatural diseases, most forms of magic, and able to survive damage that would easily destroy a mortal. Many control the forces of nature, magic, and ruled over the Earth, animals and mortals. Most of the Olympian Gods and the Titans fall under this category. Some of them, however still age until they achieve their immortality and then once achieved do not age.

Most are described as being part of a family or pantheon and some of them rely on their mortal devotees for worship. Many are indistinguishable from humans in appearance, though some look radically different. Those that are human in appearance have white/blue glowing eyes which lack pupils. Also noteworthy is the fact that when a God dies, a catastrophic event occurs like an explosion or a devastating occurrence that is sometimes called a plague. Only a few artefacts can kill immortals. Powerful gods such as Zeus can also kill immortals.

Str: 6d6

Con: 6d6+3

Dex: 3d6

Siz: 3d6+6

Int: 3d6

Pow: 4d6

Cha / App: 5d6

Traits

Immortal: Do not age and cannot be magically aged.

Invulnerable: Non-magical weapons will not harm one and neither will poisons, disease or viruses.

Magic: Many possess a variety of magic spells.

Regeneration: 2 HP per round (5 seconds)

Shapechange: By expending 1 MP they can change into any form of similar size. This lasts two rounds.

Common Disciplines

These are powers that have a suite of uses, and are less limited than talents.

Control Element (See Runequest: Slaine)

Common Talents

These are abilities that only cover one area or use.

Divine Radiance: This will allow them to create a forcefield comprised of light, and each MP = AP. Due to the brightness all that view this suffer 5 rounds of temporary blindness.

Inhuman Visage: Many of them have true forms that are more monstrous than human; for instance Kali's true form had blue skin, fangs, and multiple pairs of arms and hands. Some deities possess animalistic features. This costs 3 MP and does not last more than one round, and may incur San loss.

Circle of Purifying Flame: There are many depictions in mythology, certainly in Hindu and Buddhist texts, of gods being surrounded by flames. Not only do these protect from attacks, but it also causes horrendous amounts of damage. Each MP = AP & 1d6 Dam.

Teleport: Allows the god to teleport. See Gate spells for MP costs.

Weaknesses

Specific Weapons: Certain exotic weapons can kill them. This could high tech weapons such as a disintegration weapon, or some other exotic energy used by some Mythos races.

Sufficient Force: Being submerged in highly corrosive acid, whether ground zero in a nuclear explosion or being fed through a wood chipper - homage to all Supernatural fans :)

Weapons of the gods: These were weapons forged by other Jinn, although weapons forged by the Holy Ones (See Old Ones from Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages) are also effective.

Higher beings: Higher beings can easily kill them, including other higher gods (Great Old Ones, Elder Gods etc)

Environmental

Habitat:

Gravity:

Atmosphere:

Population:

Miscellaneous

Government: Unknown

Technology: Unknown

Culture: At some point they are known to have split into various factions: Gods (Olympians) & Titans (Asuras). Another lesser known faction are the Tuatha that fled towards Europe after being cast out during the God-Wars.

Members: Many beings such as Zeus, Indra and such are Jinn.

Relationships: Like humans they find it difficult to form a cohesive whole, and often war among themselves.

Edited by rogerd

• 2 months later...

Flynn

Source: Skylanders video game

“You check out the terrain from ground level. I’ll scout overhead and meet you at the other end of the island.”

Skyland is a mystic dimension of beautiful green, sheep-filled islands floating over, well, it isn’t clear what but it’s a long way down. This once peaceful realm is currently besieged by the hordes of Kaos, a diminutive would-be conqueror with loads of confidence, resources, and followers. Can you say “Napoleon complex”? The Portal Master, guardian of Skyland, has been using his magic to summon heroes from nearby dimensions to defend his homeland and its creatures. Unfortunately, that means the player-characters whether they will or no.

Assigned to assist the PCs in reaching their various quest destinations is Flynn, possibly the only being in Skyland with an ego bigger than that of Kaos. The vainglorious balloon pilot resembles a bipedal yellow tabby cat clad in a 1920s leather flight suit, complete with cap and goggles. He’s convinced that since he’s chauffeuring such epic champions, he must be one himself. Flynn will brag incessantly about how awesome he is, how the ladies just can’t keep their paws off of him, how there is no problem he can’t solve – that is, as long as the adventurers go first. He is, in fact, a reasonably competent pilot and airship mechanic who is not too bad in a scrap. (He will avoid combat at all costs.) Although his daring may not extend further than the edge of his gondola, Flynn is bold enough while dodging Kaos’ air patrols to land his unarmed vessel in enemy occupied territory.

STR 8

CON 12

SIZ 11

INT 11

POW 10

DEX 10

APP 6

Hit Points: 12

Damage Bonus: None

Armor: 2 (leather flight suit and cap with goggles)

Attacks: Brawl 43%, 1D3+db; Pistol 38%, 1D8

Skills: Climb 58%, Command 30%, Craft (Blacksmithing) 30%, Craft (Sewing) 21%, Dodge 38%, Drive 30%, Fine Manipulation 23%, Heavy Machine 26%, Knowledge (Skyland) 30%, Listen 50%, Navigate 35%, Pilot (Hot-Air Balloon) 41%, Repair (Mechanical) 40%, Spot 70%

Mutations: Hybrid (cat man), Increased DEX, +2D6), Keen Vision (2X distance, +20% to Spot)

Notes: Flynn had 250 skill points plus 110 personal skill points based on INT. Profession: Pilot. He’s a rather clumsy cuss despite being a feline; his DEX is a mere 10 even after being enhanced by his mutation.

Hugo

Source: Skyland video game

“Well, I didn’t really build the Core of Light, the original one. But I’m sure I could reconstruct it if you can get me the parts.”

Skyland is a mystic dimension of beautiful green, sheep-filled islands floating over, well, it isn’t clear what but it’s a long way down. This once peaceful realm is currently besieged by the hordes of Kaos, a diminutive would-be conqueror with loads of confidence, resources, and followers. Can you say “Napoleon complex”? The Portal Master, guardian of Skyland, has been using his magic to summon heroes from nearby dimensions to defend his homeland and its creatures. Unfortunately, that means the player-characters whether they will or no.

Hugo, Skyland’s foremost (fur-most?) scholar and scientist, resembles a short, bespectacled ground squirrel. He’s a bit of a pedant and old maid (always fussing at the PCs to be about their current mission) but the information he can provide about Skyland’s history, denizens, and technology will prove invaluable. Hugo has become convinced that the adventurers can defeat Kaos if only they can help him duplicate or reconstruct a mystical artifact known as the Core of Light, said to have repelled the enemy’s forces in ancient times. And he’s got a handy shopping list of components for them to acquire for him during their quest. Since Skyland equipment is an amalgam of Da Vinci mechanism, gee-whiz pulp science fiction gadgetry, and magic item, they’ll have to take his word for it. Although Hugo’s advice is generally sound, the stress of war has made him a little eccentric. He is sure that Skyland’s ubiquitous sheep are a malevolent force, always following and spying on people, attempting to sneak up on them to steal their possessions. Hugo will urge the heroes to beware of them. Upon casual observation, the sheep appear no more intelligent or sinister than those of Earth.

STR 4

CON 10

SIZ 2

INT 17

POW 12

DEX 19

APP 12

Move: 6

Hit Points: 6

Damage Bonus: -1D6

Armor: None

Attacks: Clipboard 25%, 1D3+2+db

Skills: Fine Manipulation 31%, Heavy Machine 30%, Hide 34%, Knowledge (Skyland People and Places) 31%, Knowledge (Skyland History) 31%, Knowledge (Skyland Flora and Fauna) 31%, Language (English) 28%, Language (Skylander) 85%, Persuade 33%, Repair (Mechanical) 39%, Repair (Electrical) 39%, Research 52%, Science (Natural History) 28%, Science (Physics) 28%, Spot 49%, Stealth 34%, Teach 37%

Notes: Hugo was built on the Halfling template with his INT and CON stats switched. He had 250 skill points and 170 personal skill points based on INT. Profession: Scholar.

• 1 month later...

Dimetrodon

Though often mistaken for a dinosaur, the dimetrodon is actually a kind of proto-mammal . It's most distinctive feature is is the tall 'sail' that adorns its back; created by long spines that project from its vertebrae.

It is an aggressive carnivore.

STR 3d6+3

CON 3d6+4

SIZ 2d6+6

INT 1d6

POW 1d6

DEX 2d6

HP 12 (avg)

DB 1d4 (avg)

Movement: 8 (6 Swimming)

Armor: 2 point hide

Weapon Attack% Damage

Bite 40 1d10+Toxin

Toxin: The dimetrodon's saliva contains a toxin (POT=CON) that interferes with blood coagulation. If the Resistance roll is missed, the afflicted character or creature begins loosing 1 hit point per round for bleeding; until the blood flow can be staunched (First Aid) skill. Note that this effect can stack, with each wound inflicted by the dimetrodon requiring further Resistance rolls.

Skills: Stealth 50+1d0%.

Special Rules: At this point in the evolution of terrestrial life, the problems of bodily temperature regulation had not been completely resolved: during the cold nights the dimetrodon is often torpid and sluggish, its movement and DEX are both halved.

Even the dog-sized ones would be dangerous. I had to ask because my old dinosaur books showed Dimetrodons in the swamp with no sense of scale and Saturday morning cartoons usually made them at least as big as a Chevy sedan. Crocodiles and lions are a good benchmark for the threat. Hope if my PCs encounter one it'll be early one rather chilly morning. ;)

Inspired by the dragon discussion in the Damage Bonus: BRP vs. RuneQuest thread:

St. George style dragon

Possessing a long, snakelike body with short, strong legs, the “Georgian” dragon is a solitary ambush predator that prefers habitats that provide cover, such as wooded areas or debris. It can swim but is not primarily aquatic. Glands in its jaws emit a powerful neurotoxin which the dragon can exhale as a mist or squirt like a spitting cobra. The dragon’s flexible body also enables it to coil around a victim like a serpent. It has large forward-facing eyes for good binocular vision and mobile external ear flaps, giving the upper face a vaguely canine appearance. Smaller, younger specimens are capable of climbing trees but mature dragons are too heavy for this, although they can traverse rugged terrain in search of prey.

STR (4D6+12) 28

CON (3D6+8) 18-19

SIZ (4D6+12) 26

INT 3

POW (3D6) 10-11

DEX (3D6+6) 16-17

Move: 10/3 swimming

Hit Points: 23

Damage Bonus: +2D6

Armor: 2 (tough hide)

Attacks: Bite 65%, 1D8+1/2DB plus poison; Grapple 40%, 1D6+DB

Skills: Climb 65%, Dodge 55%, Hide 75%, Jump 50%, Listen 75%, Spot 60%, Stealth 80%, Swim 30%

Dragons of Babylon

Babylonian dragons are lake- and river-dwelling omnivores with webbed paws and ridiculously long necks and tails. They usually subsist on fish and the tender parts of water plants but don’t mind nibbling on unwary Mesopotamian fishermen and farmers. Powerful swimmers, these dragons are surprisingly swift on land. They usually attack by biting with their turtle-like beaks; their long necks enable them to reach targets two to five meters away, depending on the dragon’s size. They can also knock opponents down with their tails or rear up on their hind legs to swipe at foes with their clawed forepaws. Unlike many dragons, they live in small family groups consisting of the parents and one to three young and are protective enough of their offspring to raid villages and towns in search of captured whelps. Once the young dragons are self-sufficient, the adults go their separate ways.

Although dragons aren’t truly capable of domestication, the priests of various Middle Eastern cults devoted to their worship sometimes keep (usually juvenile) specimens in captivity. If well-fed and given fresh water to wallow in, they can live in a temple complex fairly peacefully, as long as the keepers don’t stray within reach.

STR (6D6+24) 45

CON (3D6+12) 22-23

SIZ (6D6+24) 45

INT 3

POW (3D6) 10-11

DEX (3D6+2) 13

Move: 12/12 swimming

Hit Points: 34

Damage Bonus: +5D6

Armor: 8 (scales)

Attacks: Bite 45%, 1D10+DB; Claw 25%, 1D6+DB; Tail Bash 30%, 1D8+DB plus knockdown

Skills: Blow Mysterious Bubbles 90%, Hide 60%, Sense 65%, Stealth 55%, Swim 70%, Track 50%

Notes: The "Georgian" dragon was based on the Crocodile stats from the Big Gold Book with skills modeled after those of a Snake. The Babylonian dragon was based on Rhinocerous stats from the BASIC Bestiary.

So, in the spirit of Pelgrane Press's system spanning Beastiary here's a write up for the Dimetrodon using FreeFate and 13th Age rules.

First FreeFate

Aspects: Primeval Beast, Aggressive Carnivore, and prominent Dorsal Sail.

Skills: Good Athletics (+4), Good Endurance (+3), Good Stealth (+3), Great Survival (+4), and Great Weapon: Bite (+4).

Stunts: Slow Acting Poison (Good Potency (+3) and Fair Subtlety (+2)), Swim as Athletics Skill.

Armor: Leather equivalent, 0 Stress Boxes, -1 Consequence.

7 Stress Boxes

13th Age

Prehistoric Beast

Role 3rd Level Wrecker

Initiative: +3

Attack: Bite +8 vs AC: 12 DMG

Natural 13+ Target takes 1d8 ongoing poison damage.

Swim: Capable and powerful swimmer.

AC 16

PD 17

MD 9

HP 80

Edited by 1d8+DB
Added Armor to the Fate writeup

• 2 weeks later...

Pier Anthony's Manta

From Omnivore

The Manta's homeworld is Nacre, a planet where fungal life is dominant, and a world with a stable, 'ordered' eco-system.

Despite its amazing mobility the Manta is a fungal creature, and a sapient, though it has no culture and no technology, requiring neither, as it is so perfectly adjusted to its ecological niche.

In appearance the Manta's upper body is a flattened disk, with a large, unblinking eye in the front, and a thin, whip like tail in the rear. This upper body is supported by a trunk-like 'foot'. In movement the 'foot' contracts and expands, like a piston, giving the Manta the ability to run at a very great speed. It is also capable of short, gliding flights, by leaping into the air and stretching its upper body into a kind of wing.

The eye of the Manta does not see in the visible spectrum, but ultraviolet and infra-red. It can also transmit in a narrow beam, which is how the Manta's communicate.

The spongy body of the Manta weighs about 40-50 kilograms (adult), and stand a little over a meter tall.

STR 2d6+3

CON 3d6

SIZ 2d6

INT 3d6+6

POW 3d6

DEX 4d6+12

HP 8 Average

Move 72

Armor: None, but, due to a lack of significant internal structure, impaling weapons only do their minimal damage; and slashing/cutting weapons only do half-damage.

Weapon

Tail Whip

120%

1d10+2 damage

Skills: Acrobatics and Dodge 90%

Powers:

Gliding flight || 5 levels of leap

Super-Movement: The Manta can skip across water, but must move at its full speed to do so.

Weaknesses: The Manta's skin blisters and burns in bright sunlight, for 1 hp/round when so exposed. The Manta lacks peripheral vision, though it can gauge distance perfectly (it can calculate delays in the 'bounce' of it UV eye-beam).

A shroom from hell! Our favorite Italian plumber would be no match for one of these beasts. In the novel, a human agent, conditioned to an superhuman level of physical perfection, was only just able to defeat a juvenile in unarmed combat.

Edited by 1d8+DB
Corrected author

• 8 months later...

Not so much a monster, here is the  Super Martial Artist of  wuxia cinema.

Super Martial Artist (171 points)

STR  15
CON  13
SIZ  8
INT  14
POW  17
DEX  20
APP  11
EDU  11
HP  14
db  +0

Mutation1:  Metabolic Improvement and Double-jointed.
Psychic Powers: Danger Sense (passive), Dead Calm, and Empathy.
Powers: Diminish Characteristic: CON (3 levels | 15 pts.), Diminish Characteristic:DEX (3 levels |15 points),  Leap (5 levels | 5 points), Extra Characteristic: POW (+5 | 5 points), Extra Characteristic: DEX (+8 | 8 points), Super-movement: Lightfoot (10 points), Super-skill:Climb  (+40% | 4 points), Super-Skill:  Dodge (+40% | 4  points),  Super-skill:Escape Artist (+40% | 4  points), Super-skill: (+40% | 4  points), Super-skill:Martial Artist (+50 | 5 points), Super-skill: Sleight of Hand (+20% | 2 points), and Unarmed Combat (5 levels | 100 points).

Skills (with bonuses): Brawl 50%, Climb 90%, Dodge 90%, Escape Artist 90%, Grapple 50%, Sleight of Hand 70%,  Projection: Nerve-point manipulation 50%,  and Martial Artist 100%

Metabolic Improvement |Not an actual physical mutation: through training and meditation the super martial artist has attained an amazing level of   control over her metabolic processes; allowing her to slow them down to such an extent that they seem to stop entirely. Through this technique the damages due to poisons, toxins, or environmental effects can be slowed down or halted, until the danger has passed.

Diminish Characteristic: CON |Through the manipulation of  nerve-points the super martial artist can cause a fatal  disruption of chi energy within a foe's body.

Diminish Characteristic:  DEX | As above, though the intent is to induce temporary paralysis.

Escape Artist | Due to their flexibility and body control, the super martial artist is at -3 to SIZ for squeezing into tight and confining places.