Chaosium sold to WotC!

Conrad

Anybody heard the shocking recent news from Charlie Krank that Chaosium has been sold to Wizards of the Coast? Its on Chaosium's website; link added below.

Apparently Charlie says " We have been having financial problems for some time, despite the upsurge in sales due to BRP, and have decided to take advantage of a very generous offer by Wizards of the Coast."

WotC's spokeperson, Avril Poisson, says " We have recently purchased Chaosium, and plan to convert their games into the 4th edition D&D rule system, so that they will be accessable to a much larger group of players."

The shocking news is here on the Chaosium website. :(

http://www.chaosium.com/index.php?section_id=114

Edited by Conrad
Parlez vous francais?
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Well, as I recently came to appreciate D&D 4e, I am not so upset by the news. I only hope they let us convert BRP Rome to 4E Rome, too, without exacting exorbitant fees from us.

Also, I think that converting the Vilkacis monster from CotAC to a character class will be fun. Not to mention all the Martial Arts schools in Dragon Lines and Celestial Empire, which could become fantastic Paragon and Epic paths.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Well, WotC had to do this. Their D&D system is no longer profitable, so in order

to survive as a company they had to aquire another system which really sells

extraordinarily well, and the only one of this kind right now is BRP.

Oh, and there are already rumours that WotC representatives are secretly con-

tacting Alephtar Games shareholders to prepare for a hostile takeover.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Oh, and there are already rumours that WotC representatives are secretly con-

tacting Alephtar Games shareholders to prepare for a hostile takeover.

They've already infiltrated Mongoose!=O

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Oh, you totally had this old fool, you swines! :o

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

You mean the rumours of 5E being a classless, skill based system, using percentile dice isn't true? =|

Not exactly. D&D 5E requires only some basic computer input ("I am an invincible

and handsome hero who wants to kill nasty things and take their stuff"), and the

computer then generates the character, the adventure and all of the action and

shows it as a 3D movie - just lean back and enjoy the game. B-)

P.S.: The movie technology will be licensed from Disney, so no sex.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Well I'm a newbie here, but I've been a lurker for a while, and a gamer since 1984...and I almost had a heart attack with this WOTC announcement! Having watched Chaosium for half my life, I thought that this must of been The End of Days, I was almost waiting for the Four Horsemen to appear..

Great to see this forum has a sense of humour!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Not exactly. D&D 5E requires only some basic computer input ("I am an invincible

and handsome hero who wants to kill nasty things and take their stuff"), and the

shows it as a 3D movie - just lean back and enjoy the game. B-)....

What's cool is they found out they only need one starting character with different pictures!

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

shows it as a 3D movie - just lean back and enjoy the game. B-)

Since it is D&D, can't the input be in the form of radio and check boxes? Just select race, gender, classes, and preferred gear. Invincibility and the desire to kill things and take their stuff should be the DEFAULT (and only) setting.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 1 year later...
Guest asabiasante

Chaosium has a new communication policy aimed at the retail stores that sell their products on the front lines of the industry. We began a while ago and I am glad we are not caught flat-footed in this volatile adventure game market. WotC has opened its first retail shop in Seattle, as part of its Game Center. They have plans to make many more and to sell their cards in discount stores. Please produce some more attachments about the topic to view detail information.

Guest Vile Traveller

That's quite clever spam, too, especially if it's a robot. I wonder, could spam reach the stage that TV advertising did, where the adverts were as entertaining as the programmes, or even more so? Not on this forum, obviously, but you know, WotC or one of those ... :P

Edited by Vile