INCIDENT AT ALICE - Dark Days in the Land of Enchantment

Trifletraxor

incident-at-alice.jpgThis supplement is a companion book for the Aces High setting. Incident at Alice is split into two sections; the first section is concerned with historical, geographical and societal issues that will allow the Master to explore some of the land of New Mexico during the appropriate period. The second section is a scenario which will allow the players to interact with some of the people and creatures that live here.

In the scenario the characters will be involved in a bank raid and will chase an Apache outlaw across rugged terrain. Along the way they will begin to learn of the supernatural entities called the Kachina, sacred, mythical spirits of the Pueblo dwellers religion. The Puebloans themselves have a long and, at times, dark history. Some of which waits to be discovered in one of their forgotten, holy sites. The characters may begin to understand that not all Native Americans are the same. Being able to tell the difference between the thoughtful, artistic Puebloans and the warlike, aggressive Apache will give the characters some insight into the many divergent philosophies that are endemic of the native populations. In the end, learning this difference may be the weapon that allows the characters to succeed or fail in their quest.

By Stuart Godbolt. To be submitted to Chaosium by October 2011.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I've got to sort out a couple of illustrations then its a print out and red pen check through.

Shouldn't be more then a couple of weeks before I send it to Dustin.

I'm quite excited with this. Put in a lot of work on research and found some really interesting stuff, hope you like it :7

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Back cover text block...

INCIDENT AT ALICE

Dark Days in the Land of Enchantment

There’s something not quite right about Alice.

Perhaps it’s the isolation, perhaps it’s the infernal, ceaseless, strength sapping sun.

Perhaps it’s the darn fine cooking!

It all seems to be pleasant enough. The People are friendly, they’re always making sure you have enough to eat or drink. Some of them are friendlier than others of course.

But still, there’s something not quite right.

There are Indians in the hills and monsters in the mountains.

Things that can send you mad lurk in the darkness, voices seem to whisper from the shadows,

and the mountains glow with the very lights from hell itself.

But there’s definitely something not right in Alice

• 3 weeks later...

The red pen read through went pretty well, but did bring up a couple of fairly important inconsistencies in the scenario. I think that has been sorted out now. It bothered me a bit though, so I've done a big printout and I'm going to go through the whole thing, cover to cover.

The cover illustration needs a bit of a tweak too.

Give me another week or two before I submit it to Dustin. Once it gets to Chaosium I have no idea how long it will take to reach the printers...

Total page count has finished at 129 pages.

15 pages of maps, some scenario specific, some New Mexico generic.

6 Pages of handouts

9 pages of NPC stats

Some wholesome goodness

Lots of unwholesome badness

Political correctness has been double checked :7

It is not a PG scenario...

A handful of people were very helpful in beating this into shape and I'd like to just say 'Thanks Guys!'

• 4 weeks later...

ITS UPDATE DAY

There has been a title change... Incident at Alice was the title of the scenario but as the book has neared completion it became obvious that that title didn't really fit very well with the contents of the book.

So, welcome to Aces High: New Mexico

It makes more sense...

New back cover text proposal...

ACES HIGH: NEW MEXICO

Dark Days in the Land of Enchantment

An introduction to the mythic New Mexico of 1875, some of its denizens, its dark history, its ancient spirits.

‘INCIDENT AT ALICE’ SCENARIO

When a clash of cultures results in a unique mix of sorcery and animism the players are involved in a race against time to halt the corruption spreading through a town called Alice. Three worlds meet here, the world of ordinary folk, the ancient pueblo Kachina, and the devils work. Each competes for dominance, to understand, to exist. One of them is winning. Being able to recognize the different philosophies and using them to their advantage may be the weapon that allows the characters to succeed or fail.

WARNING: Incident at Alice deals with mature themes and situations!

A companion book for Chaosium’s Aces High BRP supplement.

I'm looking at submitting this weekend... stay posted.

Ever since Aces High was announced I've been struggling to bring in to focus and finish a multi part weird west scenario that starts during the Civil War near Sante Fe and then has the survivors return a decade or so later... So I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully it will help me get this scenario finished.

Cheers,

Nick

Ever since Aces High was announced I've been struggling to bring in to focus and finish a multi part weird west scenario that starts during the Civil War near Sante Fe and then has the survivors return a decade or so later... So I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully it will help me get this scenario finished.

I would be the first one to pick up this!

Our current Aces High takes place just before the Civil War but the war is rapidly approaching and I am a bit of a loss of what kind of adventures to throw at the players to take them past the Civil War. This sound like a perfect mini-campaign arc to take them past the Civil War into a time after when we get back to the usual. So here comes some extra cheers to help keep you motivated. ;t);t);t)

Edited by Chorpa

Aces High: New Mexico has been uploaded to Chaosiums servers.

Dustin said that it was possible that it would be available for Christmas.

But they have that whole thanks giving thing to get through, whatever that is :P

Still its a good feeling to finally make the submission.

Who wants to see an index page?

Sorry I meant Contents page, the index is way to long...

Aces High: New Mexico

_ContentS_

INTRODUCTION

ANCIENT HISTORY

THE PEOPLE

Anasazi

Puebloan

Apache And Navajo

RECENT HISTORY

The Spanish Campaign

The American Influence

Civil War

Indian Wars

Cattle Wars

Albuquerque

Extraordinary People

DWELLINGS

Hogan

Kiva

Pueblo

Wickiup

Forts

THE LAND

Rio Grande Rift

Colorado Plateau

Southern Rocky Mountains

Mesa And Plains

Great Plains

Mogollon Rim

Chihuahuan Desert

Weather Patterns

Inhospitable Environments

Exploitation

ANIMALS

Gila Monster

Pronghorn

Rabbits And Hares

Sheep

Snakes

Spiders

MYTHICAL CREATURES

Chupacabra

Mogollon Monster

RELIGION

Kachina Cult

Kachina Societies

OTHERWORLD ENTITIES

The Kachina

OCCUPATIONS

Comanchero

Seer

Society Priests

OTHERWORLD POWERS

Animal Companion

Animate

Blessing

Corruption

Fertility

Flint Wings

Goading

Manifest

Mongko

Refraction

Rejuvenation

Swallowing

Withering

SPOT RULES

Small Critters

Spirit Possession

Venoms

SKILLS

Craft, Flintknapping

Knowledge, Animals

Knowledge, Plants

Prophecy

WEAPONS

Ancient Weapons

Modern Weapons

SCENARIO

Incident At Alice

PROLOGUE

CHAPTER 1

The Albuquerque Bank Raid

CHAPTER 2

Death In The Desert

CHAPTER 3

Incident At Alice

CHAPTER 4

Epilogue

Extended Play

Motivations

Human Encounters

Antagonists And Victims

Props

MAPS

BIBLIOGRAPHY

INDEX

• 4 months later...

Excellent News!

I received an email from Dustin at the weekend and he said AH:NM was in layout which means that it could be available in 60 days!

So, this is a little bit later than a christmas release, but it does look like Chaosium have been busy, so I'm smiling. :) Its been ages since I even looked at the New Mexico book and now I'm really looking forward to seeing the hard copy.

• 3 months later...