RIVER OF HEAVEN - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

Trifletraxor

At the moment the game is done. Its gone through proofing and had a final edit. I'm currently looking for an illustrator, and then once OpenQuest 2 is sufficiently advanced (i.e. the pdf is with the people who pre-ordered it and its well on the way to the printers), i'll have some time to work on RoH final release, which is looking more June/July for the final release, with pre-orders getting the pdf before then.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

• 1 month later...

Quick update. After a couple of try-outs we have an Artist up to the job :) Me and John have met a couple of times to rough out KS stretch goals, so I have a good idea of what is going to be on offer ;) All I'm waiting on now is to get OpenQuest 2 out to the backers, which is looking like early June. Therefore preorder/KS will start end of June/early July.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this mean River of Heaven is back to Aug/Sept?

In another place (sorry, not sure if rules here allow cross-board references) I have recently been soliciting suggestions for a Reynolds-verse, Revelation Space game, and my researches have unveiled River of Heaven, which seems along similar lines.

I keenly await RoH.

Unfortunately yes. We are getting there with OQ2, but I cannot with any clear conscious start another Kickstarter with the core book of OQ2 still outstanding.

The good news is that as soon as RoH funds all backers will get the artless draft of the rules. And yes RoH has Revelation Space as one of its principle inspirations :)

I look forward to being able to fund RoH!

Artless is no problem whatever. I wish more RPG companies would offer zero-art product as most of it is adolescent trash (no offence - I'm sure D101 Games are in a different league!). That much less chance of my wife laughing at me for reading an RPG book.

• 1 month later...

Another month later ... any news on River of Heaven ? :)

While I know that I should be more patient, I really want this game and have

put my favourite science fiction setting ideas on hold until I have it ...

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

The short answer is that its all ready to go, coiled like a spring, behind OQ2.

There has been a bit of work on Art Direction, we now have an artist in place and a few other tweaks to the Kickstarter plan.

Once I'm confident that OQ2 is on track to actually ship to the backers of that pre-order I'll be all systems go on RoH.

Guest Vile Traveller

Don't worry about keeping that spring coiled a bit, I'm all sprung out on the RQ6 Indiegogo for a bit so I can wait again ... :P

• 3 weeks later...

The short answer is that its all ready to go, coiled like a spring, behind OQ2.

There has been a bit of work on Art Direction, we now have an artist in place and a few other tweaks to the Kickstarter plan.

Once I'm confident that OQ2 is on track to actually ship to the backers of that pre-order I'll be all systems go on RoH.

So ... ?

(i.e. <BUMP>)

It sounds like a lot of the work is done, but you're KS'ing the book to help cashflow for the actual production run... is that about right?

Is there an actual KS page, or RoH page on the d101 Games site? That is, where can we see a bit more about it?

In particular: 28th century... whooo. Sounds far enough in the future for a substantial amount of Clarke's Law effect -- sufficiently advance science indistinguishable from magic -- so I'm wondering how much it's "hard" science (based on best current knowledge/theory) and how much is Handwavium-based "we want this ability so we invent that technology out of whole cloth" (e.g what's a "stellar tap" drive? what's a "Visser cube"?) .

I likes me some of both, so really NO answer here is off-putting for me. I'm just hoping to get a better handle on what to expect... :)

- Steve, the g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this?

The curious want to know (i.e. how far away is OQ2?)

:P

Thanks,

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

• 4 weeks later...

OQ2 is at the printers, and backers will be sent their copies first couple of weeks of October :)

So.....................

River of Heaven production team contacted. Kickstarter plan formulated. Rocket rumbling towards an October blastoff!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

There's a preview pdf up on the D101 website

http://d101games.com/files/2010/02/River-of-heaven-prerelease-preview-Dec2012.pdf

I've no intention of releasing any more preview material. If you back the KS you'll get a full draft of the game as soon as it funds :)

OpenQuest 2 goes on general release tommorrow via Drive Thru, so I'm looking to get the KS up and going in the first two weeks of November.

The thought that this intriguing game is probably sitting around 99% complete apart from the art (as I understand it?), right now on people's hard drives, makes me want to cry.

I'd bet Newt's not just sitting around twiddling his thumbs. I ponied up for the Demi-god level for OQ2 and Savage North, Life & Death and Here Be Dragons were all part of the bundle. As eager as I am for River of Heaven I've decided to not pitch in for kickstarters until the prior stuff is fufilled. No offence Newt - I fully trust you - only way I can keep money for food these days:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...