Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AEONS Starter Playtest Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah - I was only mildly interested in the RQ2 retro-clone exercise, but with this new direction you've got my attention!

Can you share any more about this 'behind the scenes' setting?

Also - can you give some specific examples of how AEON will be differently flavoured from those other games you mentioned?

At some point someone needs to do a comprehensive survey of all the systems. It's probably still premature at this point, but once Aeon and RQ6 are out, it would be handy to have the comparison. I admit I'm losing track...

I'll check out the blog in the meantime. Oh- and the cover is great, too. Thanks!
    Last edited by Thalaba; December 5th, 2011 at 14:58.
    "Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

The Thirteen Wives (RQ3 Campaign)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Thalaba View Post
    At some point someone needs to do a comprehensive survey of all the systems. It's probably still premature at this point, but once Aeon and RQ6 are out, it would be handy to have the comparison. I admit I'm losing track...
    I freely mix them. Since I am a rules-light GM anyway, I don't even notice the differences.
    「天朝大國」, 很有意思: http://celestialempire.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Thalaba View Post
    Ah - I was only mildly interested in the RQ2 retro-clone exercise, but with this new direction you've got my attention!
    That's good to hear.

Can you share any more about this 'behind the scenes' setting?
    Not too much, because I don't want to contradict myself later (the tradition of gregging notwithstanding)! Suffice to say that the basic assumption is something of a compressed version of our ancient world (not just the near/middle east) - i.e. what would have been a larger geographical area and a longer spread of history in the real world. There is no geographical or direct correlation to Earth. I don't like to use the 'ages' to describe the setting because many of them overlap in AEON (as in the RW) - you have stone, copper, bronze and iron (and gold and silver) ages co-existing to some extent. There is tremendous variety in ancient cultures and civilisations, but this will be brought out bit-by-bit in future supplements. One thing that is certain is that AEON will stick more closely to the ancient vibe than is usually the case - not that this really prevents referees or interested licencees from creating their own preferred time period with the rules.

Also - can you give some specific examples of how AEON will be differently flavoured from those other games you mentioned?
    That's a bit more tricky, and I'm not just saying that because some parts of the rules are still being written. In my view (which is not likely to be the same as anyone else's) AEON is an old-school system in that it is intended to allow maximum flexibility with minimum rules, while still retaining the 'crunchyness' associated with classic games. It's not rules-light in the way that so-called story-telling systems are, but neither does it try to create a rule for every eventuality. I hope that gives you some idea without me going into the type of detail that I should be writing in the manuscript at this very moment!

Okay, one specific example is the life path character generation system. Generating a character is a mini-game which allows players to work together to create their characters if they wish, although it can be fast-tracked for those who don't have the time or inclination. But it's a great way to get players prepared for the setting, especially if they are not familiar with the period. It also gives the character a place in the world, rather than the amoral outsider role that most old-school games tended to foster. I must point out again that this will not be in the Quickstart edition, not least because then it really would be late, but mainly because it's not something you would refer to much in play.

Oh - and the cover is great, too.
    I couldn't be happier with it myself. I shall certainly be talking to Ganbat for future books.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GianniVacca View Post
    I freely mix them. Since I am a rules-light GM anyway, I don't even notice the differences.
    And that's what we all should do. I often find that it's not the differences but the similarities between D100 systems that are so striking.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vile View Post
    And that's what we all should do. I often find that it's not the differences but the similarities between D100 systems that are so striking.
    Agreed!

But gamers are always yearning for the One True System (tm) that fits their style of play perfectly, so even minor differences between games can become major bones of contention. I suppose that says something about human nature...

I do think that there is an opportunity for the various D100 derivatives to capture a decent share of the fantasy market at the moment. There is a real hunger out there for a rules-light alternative to games like Pathfinder and 4th edition D&D that the D100 games should be able to fill. The resurgence of retro-clone D&D games and the success of Savage Worlds shows that it can be done...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default AEONS Starter Playtest Files

As you know by now, AEON Quickstart will be a free-to-download PDF incorporating the basic rules of AEON. I will therefore be making the draft rules available on these boards for open playtest over the coming months. To start off, the basic character generation rules. Note that the Quickstart edition will not include detailed lifepath previous experience, so this file produces basic 14 year-old novices.

In order to avoid losing feedback amongst the responses, please limit your posts here only to playtest feedback. Now, to play!

AEON Quickstart Playtest_01-2_Character Generation.pdf
    AEON Quickstart Playtest_02-0_Skills.pdf
    AEON Quickstart Playtest_03-2_Combat.pdf
    Last edited by Vile; March 4th, 2012 at 05:25. Reason: Added Combat Chapter v3.2

Downloads
    Uploads

Hit Points depend solely on CON. Why's that?
    Movement is 10. Why not 8 like in RQ2?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attributes depend on a single characteristic for simplicity and ease of amendment during play - that's also the reason for the 5% steps. Movement is based on real life speeds, and MOV 10 works out better that way. Remember, AEON may have its roots in RQ2 (as do Legend and RQ6), but it's not the same game.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vile View Post
    Attributes depend on a single characteristic for simplicity and ease of amendment during play.
    OK but then isn't SIZ rather useless as a characteristic?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're right that SIZ is struggling for a reason to exist (it's always been marginal, even in other D100 systems) ... there may be some changes to bring it back from the brink. I am currently evaluating whether SIZ would make a good basis for hit points instead of CON. Signs are good so far.