Thread: Sudden Magic confusion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sudden Magic confusion

Hi all

I've just stumbled across a line in the BGB that I hadn't previously noticed and I wanted some views; this may well have been covered in an earlier thread so apologies if that's the case.

Pg 89 Overcoming POW;

"Any time a magic spell affects a living target the caster must overcome the target's POW or power points in a resistance roll. Each spell description will designate which value is used".

If a Blast spell is used against a living target does this mean a resistance roll is required? If so, looking at the text the target is also entitled to a Dodge as well. In the description for the spell no mention is made of a resistance roll, either POW or points so does it not apply?

That would make a total of three seperate rolls for a Blast which seems a little excessive.

The wording of some of the rules is the BGB has given me problems in the past so any clarification is gratefully received.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a question of semantics. In this case "affect" is used to mean "acts directly upon without an intermediary effect" rather than simply "has an effect upon". Blast therefore does not require a resistance roll because its effect is a result of an intermediary - a ruinous beam of magic. The spell Change, however, does require a roll because it acts directly upon the victim without any intermediary.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
    It's a question of semantics. In this case "affect" is used to mean "acts directly upon without an intermediary effect" rather than simply "has an effect upon". Blast therefore does not require a resistance roll because its effect is a result of an intermediary - a ruinous beam of magic. The spell Change, however, does require a roll because it acts directly upon the victim without any intermediary.
    Yep, this is how I handle it, too - the Blast spell's beam of energy does not
    have any POW to overcome a target's POW with.
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, guys.

That is pretty much how I've been running it up to now as well. What you've provided me with is a reason as to why.