Sudden Magic confusion

ragr

Hi all

I've just stumbled across a line in the BGB that I hadn't previously noticed and I wanted some views; this may well have been covered in an earlier thread so apologies if that's the case.

Pg 89 Overcoming POW;

"Any time a magic spell affects a living target the caster must overcome the target's POW or power points in a resistance roll. Each spell description will designate which value is used".

If a Blast spell is used against a living target does this mean a resistance roll is required? If so, looking at the text the target is also entitled to a Dodge as well. In the description for the spell no mention is made of a resistance roll, either POW or points so does it not apply?

That would make a total of three seperate rolls for a Blast which seems a little excessive.

The wording of some of the rules is the BGB has given me problems in the past so any clarification is gratefully received.

It's a question of semantics. In this case "affect" is used to mean "acts directly upon without an intermediary effect" rather than simply "has an effect upon". Blast therefore does not require a resistance roll because its effect is a result of an intermediary - a ruinous beam of magic. The spell Change, however, does require a roll because it acts directly upon the victim without any intermediary.

It's a question of semantics. In this case "affect" is used to mean "acts directly upon without an intermediary effect" rather than simply "has an effect upon". Blast therefore does not require a resistance roll because its effect is a result of an intermediary - a ruinous beam of magic. The spell Change, however, does require a roll because it acts directly upon the victim without any intermediary.

Yep, this is how I handle it, too - the Blast spell's beam of energy does not

have any POW to overcome a target's POW with.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)