Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Order of Phalanos, V. 2.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Not necessarily too modern. Scientists used to believe things on Earth burned because of a mythical substance called philogesten (or something similar) existed within matter which had a tendency to spontaneously combust. No knowledge of oxygen at the time, so the plausible-sounding theory was utterly bogus.

I take it Phalanos is an alien world with an unbreathable atmosphere. The "magic" masks are ancient aqualung or rebreather equivalents. Assuming it has an atmosphere, are there critters there, and can they endure the atmosphere and gravity of Glorantha?
    Last edited by seneschal; March 14th, 2012 at 17:27.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much.

Phalanos is much like Mars, only bigger and with a denser, but not breathable
    atmosphere. Until now no life has been discovered on Phalanos, but this may
    well change one day. The magic masks are indeed just magic masks, I did not
    want to introduce a higher than ancient level of technology, and Glorantha has
    lots of strange magic anyway.
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the typical Gloranthan sages (Lhankor Mhy priests) would say the air was "dead" or "poisonous", instead of considering lack of components within the element. But that could depend on the type of sage of course, the God Learners would probably say something totally different.
    Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
    116/420. High Priest.

Downloads
    Uploads

Or that there was no Air Rune for Phalanos? If the runes are the building blocks of the primal gods, the primal gods of a different world might have left some runes out and included others?

Of course the theologians of Glorantha would have to explain Phalanos in accordance to their cosmology. Perhaps it is an unfinished world, or a place used by the Gods to hold battles or tourneys.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you both very much for your ideas.
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I have a kind of aesthetic objection to the Phalanos project on that basis. You can take the Ducks, the Morkanth, and the Maidenstone Archers out of Glorantha, and it is still Glorantha. But you take the gods away, and its something else. To be part of that cosmology Phalanos would have to have a mythic element, which so far I don't see.

Hmm. Perhaps Mostal's first draft of the world-machine? Maybe the search for the Gods of Phalanos would be a significant part of play. Or maybe the discovery of this apparently godless realm would be something that the traditional faiths of Glorantha would try to supress. Some experiment of the God Learners gone wrong?

Now for Hawkmoon/Elric, and its multiverse setting, that's not a problem. A realm of the Dead Gods, or perhaps a place to be developed as a refuge in face of the implacable Granbretanian expansion.

Perhaps clock-punk alternate history? Da Vinci exploring another world at the other side of an Atlantean Gate?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1d8+DB View Post
    Actually, I have a kind of aesthetic objection to the Phalanos project on that basis. You can take the Ducks, the Morkanth, and the Maidenstone Archers out of Glorantha, and it is still Glorantha. But you take the gods away ...
    Actually, not at all. All the Gloranthan gods and their cults remain as published, although
    there may be some minor changes in the details, like for example the specific spells taught
    by a specific cult and such. As for Glorantha itself, nothing much is changed.
    To be part of that cosmology Phalanos would have to have a mythic element, which so far I don't see.
    This is true, and my problem here is less to come up with such mythic elements than to
    come up with a plausible way for the characters to discover these mythic elements. What
    I do not want is a deity to materialize in front of the characters and tell them the myth of
    Phalanos, this would seem a terribly bad way to handle it. What remains are things like old
    texts in Lhankor Mhy temples, dreams sent by deities, strange things discovered on Phala-
    nos and such, little pieces of a mosaic which when put together in the right way by the
    characters enable them to understand the mythological dimension of Phalanos.
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

Just for the record, I am still working on this setting, although rather slowly
    because of the workload of my new job.

Meanwhile I have (again) changed a couple of elements of the setting, and
    if I find the spare time to do so I will post a description of the setting in its
    current version (probably V. 2.1 ...) in the hopefully not so far future.
    (Charlie Chan)