Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where We're At

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where We're At

Thought I'd share with you a little of where RQ6 is at.

First, several chapters are now in layout. Some artwork is still to come in, but the design and structure of the book is taking shape. Others chapters are still being edited, and the final chapters are in the hands of the playtest crews, but we're nearing the home straight.

What this means, in terms of publication, is clearly not the 'Early 2012' we'd promised. Real Life intervened for both Pete and I which slowed some things down. What we're now looking at is 'Early Summer' - and the vague goal I've set is for RQ6 to be available, in print, for GenCon (which I'll be attending), if not a little before. So we're still shying away from specifying a particular release date, because a whole mountain of things could happen to cause it to slip: but I am hoping that June/July is reasonable. It should be. A great deal of work is being done and we want to make the best book possible, which will mean detailed proofing and final error-trapping before I send finals off to the printers.

We will open pre-ordering before publication. Once the book is fully laid-out we'll know its complete size, and can therefore price it accurately. How pre-ordering will work is dependent on a few background factors, one of which is how well the e-commerce facilities from our Site Provider work. They have new tools that I've yet to test, and it could be that we plug into Moon Design's e-commerce facilities instead. But rest assured you'll be able to order RQ6 from us, in advance, using a variety of payment methods.

So we're chugging along nicely. I know its frustrating waiting for is to say 'Guys, it'll be out on X of N, send us yer money...' but it will be worth the wait. We said from the start that we wanted to deliver the most complete and best edition of RQ that we can, and we're sticking to that goal.

But we do appreciate your patience and are looking forward to rewarding it. We will post some layout previews soon.
    The Design Mechanism: Publishers of RuneQuest 6th Edition
    www.thedesignmechanism.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update.

(Gotta squeeze in Ducks somehow, despite the mixed fan reaction. RuneQuest without Ducks is like McDonald's without Big Macs. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're part of what makes the game different from Brand X.)
    Last edited by seneschal; April 13th, 2012 at 13:15.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    Thanks for the update.

(Gotta squeeze in Ducks somehow, despite the mixed fan reaction. RuneQuest without Ducks is like McDonald's without Big Macs. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're part of what makes the game different from Brand X.)
    We'll leave the Ducks for the Glorantha supplement. They really are divisive little bastards and I don't want to start alienating a section of the customer-base if I can avoid it. :-)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.whitaker View Post
    We'll leave the Ducks for the Glorantha supplement. They really are divisive little bastards and I don't want to start alienating a section of the customer-base if I can avoid it. :-)
    Abso-ducking-lutely!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm really looking forward to picking this up at Gen Con if you guys have it ready by then. Any chance of RQ6 sessions being offered at Gen Con?
    129/420

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Narl View Post
    I'm really looking forward to picking this up at Gen Con if you guys have it ready by then. Any chance of RQ6 sessions being offered at Gen Con?
    We're working on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say I am also enthusiastic about a new edition of RuneQuest - considering the job you did on the last edition, which was terrific.

I'm not sure if the play testing is all done and dusted, but some questions:

1) would it be possible to have cheat sheets made up for combat maneuvers, and a character design sheet to allow you to add up the skill scores stage by stage?
    2) Is Mysticism going to be similar to that used by the Dragon Cults in Glorantha, or will it be broader to encounter things like Zen, Sufi-ism etc?
    3) Somebody asked in your forum about Chargen being based upon 3d6 for all Characteristics. Personally, I thought this was a good idea (with the stipulation of re-rolls for any score 6 or less). What do you think?
    4) What about a sidebar suggesting throwing attack, hit location and damage dice all at once? Also, in the interests of it being a book that beginners can pick up, might you include a brief line or two describing the dice that are used? Fundamentally, the game uses % dice, plus d20 for hit location and polyhedrals for damage.
    5) Will the PDF come out first?
    6) How about making some reference to the Hero's Journey (Joseph Campbell) in the inevitable GMs advice section?
    7) I notice you're name in the credits for the BRP Advanced Sorcery book. How compatible with RuneQuest 6 would it be?
    8) How soon is now with regards to Pete Nash's Ancient Greece book?! Any thoughts of also encouraging him to do Ancient Aztecs, Ancient Polynesia and Ancient Egypt too?

That's me done for the time being.....

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say I am also enthusiastic about a new edition of RuneQuest - considering the job you did on the last edition, which was terrific.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if the play testing is all done and dusted, but some questions:

1) would it be possible to have cheat sheets made up for combat maneuvers, and a character design sheet to allow you to add up the skill scores stage by stage?

The appendix will contain all the most useful charts in one place, and CMs (now renamed Special Effects) will have their own section. A character design sheet is an idea we're considering; much depends on structure, but it would be a good appendix addition and website download.

2) Is Mysticism going to be similar to that used by the Dragon Cults in Glorantha, or will it be broader to encounter things like Zen, Sufi-ism etc?

The latter, most definitely.

3) Somebody asked in your forum about Chargen being based upon 3d6 for all Characteristics. Personally, I thought this was a good idea (with the stipulation of re-rolls for any score 6 or less). What do you think?

We've opted to stick with 3d6 and 2d6+6 for INT and SIZ.

4) What about a sidebar suggesting throwing attack, hit location and damage dice all at once? Also, in the interests of it being a book that beginners can pick up, might you include a brief line or two describing the dice that are used? Fundamentally, the game uses % dice, plus d20 for hit location and polyhedrals for damage.

Nice idea. Better in the GMs' Chapter though.

5) Will the PDF come out first?

No. Print first, then PDF.

6) How about making some reference to the Hero's Journey (Joseph Campbell) in the inevitable GMs advice section?

Funnily enough, I've been watching a 4-hr PBS documentary/interview with Campbell which goes, in-depth, into his many works on mythology and I was musing on how incorporate his themes and ideas. We'll see.

7) I notice you're name in the credits for the BRP Advanced Sorcery book. How compatible with RuneQuest 6 would it be?

News to me! I suspect my name's in there because I gave Zomben permission to use the Unknown East magic system. In terms of compatibility though, all the BRP family of games are highly compatible, although there's no overt attempt to make RQ6 and Magic World 100% so. Both have been developed independently.

8) How soon is now with regards to Pete Nash's Ancient Greece book?! Any thoughts of also encouraging him to do Ancient Aztecs, Ancient Polynesia and Ancient Egypt too?

Its a little way off. Pete's keen to do the Ancient Greece book, but we have other projects before attempting Aztecs, Polynesian, and so on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any chance RQ6 will be available at Continuum? Will there be any demonstration games for Continuum?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vile View Post
    Abso-ducking-lutely!
    [Cue heavy, mechanical breathing] "You don't know the pow-wah of the Duck Side!"