Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Apocalypse Original (incorrect) Premise

Downloads
    Uploads

I like bait and switch tactics too, as a GM it allows me to catch the players off balance occasionally. I think it depends on how extreme you are planning on making the switch.

If I was being particularly nasty to the players I'd make them movie stars or well known people on an 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' kind of thing. The celebs are cut off in a remote location (with some skills that would allow them to survive by themselves) they assume they are being filmed and have to feed and shelter themselves, then your apocalypse thing happens and all bets are off.

Or, we had an excellent mini series here called Dead Set by a guy called Charlie Brooker which had a group of people stuck in a Big Brother house when a ZA kicks off. The house people thought all of the noises outside were part of the show until the zombies broke in. Brilliant TV, not sure how it would play though...
    Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Downloads
    Uploads

Triffids for BRP

Triffids are genetically engineered crop plants harvested for the oils in their man-tall woody stalks. They are topped by a flower “head” that contains a deadly poison lash and walk slowly on three thick, flexible roots, tripod-style. Despite their carnivorous tendencies, Triffids were harvested safely by many of the world’s developed nations until an international disaster (meteor shower blinded most of the world’s population) enabled them to escape their pens and reproduce unchecked. In areas where they multiplied without resistance, they quickly devoured most animal life.

For plants, Triffids display an uncanny intelligence and cunning. They hide themselves in foliage near the doors and windows of people’s homes, waiting for the inhabitants to open a sash or step outside, or post themselves along roads and walking paths. Once potential prey has been located, they notify other plants by means unknown, with hordes of Triffids literally coming out of the woodwork to surround and capture victims.

Triffids’ reproductive parts can lash out to a distance of two meters, usually aiming at the target’s head. Although “thrown” at near-bullet velocity, the pollen pods do little physical damage. However, they smear a sticky, fast-acting contact poison on prey, paralyzing and asphyxiating it so it can be “eaten” by the Triffid’s roots. There is so far no known antidote. Heavy clothing, gloves, and some sort of facial and head covering is often sufficient protection from Triffid poison -- as long as the frond slaps don’t knock a human’s face mask aside to enable skin contact.

STR 1D6+8 (12)
    CON 2D6+3 (10)
    SIZ 2D6+6 (13)
    INT 5 (5)
    POW 3D6 (10-11)
    DEX 2D6+3 (10)

Hit Points: 12
    Move: 4
    Damage Bonus: +1D4
    Armor: 3 (woody stalk)

Attacks: Flower Slap 65%, 1D3+1D4, POT 25 poison, takes effect after 1 combat round

Skills: Hide 75%, Sense 70%, Stealth 80%, Throw 65%

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! Now that sounds like a nice PA setting to me! Characters will start out as normal people, having to deal with the Triffids for a certain time - and survive. Soon they find out too many are out there, and they also reproduce by using some bodies as seed banks. Players have to go out there, find and kill the seed pods, to prevent immidiant overrun - and then the battle continuous ... Setting is good enough for a one shot, maybe more. But usually PA games only interest people a few sessions before "survival" becomes too boring. Spicing it up is not too hard with the right ingredients, and I think Triffids are SciFi enough to place some modern elements and it is Fantasy enough to use good old weapons to hack the things to pieces, as weapons are of limited help.
    Also, it gets around the problem how weapons suddenly spread all over the world in a PA setting, as most countries do not have USA weapon laws and they are heavily restricted.

Cool! Thanks for a very good idea for a new PA setting

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Writer View Post
    I also found triffids in the Malleus Monstrorum.

How did their take compare with mine? BRP has been around so long that it is hard to do "new" critter write-ups; somebody else somewhere has often done something similar. That's why the critters I've posted here (the Big, Bad Wolf, Fluffs, a Duck superhero, assorted classic movie monsters) have been off-the-wall; you gotta stretch to do something unique.
    Last edited by seneschal; April 15th, 2012 at 18:55. Reason: Add comments

Downloads
    Uploads

hm, the older German version of Malleus Monstrorum does not have them, but there are at least three plants in it that would be similar to a Triffid. Maybe Max can tell the exact stats

Downloads
    Uploads

Am I allowed or does that violate some copyright stuff?

Taking a chance. Apologies if this is wrong and please remove if so.

Here are the basic stats from Malleus Monstrorum:

"STR 3D6
    CON 3D6
    SIZ 4D6
    INT 2D6
    POW 1D6
    DEX 5D6
    Move: 8"

I like the high Dex which reflects how quick the things can attack.
    Last edited by Max_Writer; April 17th, 2012 at 12:17.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Writer View Post
    Am I allowed or does that violate some copyright stuff?
    Short quotes of copyrighted material are legal if you mention where
    the quote is from.
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

There have been quite a few adaptations of Day of the Triffids - the latest BBC miniseries was quite a good effort to update the story to a modern setting - and the portrayal of Triffids are pretty scary.

Also, the 28 Days Later movie is very heavily influenced by Day of the Triffids - high speed zombies rather than man eating plants though.

Downloads
    Uploads

In my necromancer campaign the players could and did start with everyman skills etc. A couple were police medical trying to figure the reason for sudden deaths which then spawnwd the.mummies.