Mongoose originally planned to call the game "Wayfarers", but there was

already a roleplaying game with that name, so in the end the game was

named "Legend".

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Mongoose originally planned to call the game "Wayfarers", but there was

already a roleplaying game with that name, so in the end the game was

named "Legend".

But now Mongoose is selling something called Wayfarers so the question is: is it related to Legend in any way ?

I use  fantasygrounds.com

But now Mongoose is selling something called Wayfarers so the question is: is it related to Legend in any way ?

No. It's the aforementioned pre-existing RPG, which harks back to 1st edition D&D.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

survived for decades so it might all work out

I always wondered how well an Action! System conversion of CoC would fare from a marketing perspective. How would one order the words of the game title? That might be a FATAL combination.

Edited by dragonewt

I always wondered how well an Action! System conversion of CoC would fare from a marketing perspective. How would one order the words of the game title? That might be a FATAL combination.

I've played CoC with just about every system out there at least once. Including the Action! System. As I recall it was a lot of fun...I'd totally be up for that.

I wonder if Hero Games is still releasing Cthulhu Hero this year?

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

I always liked the Action! System and thought it was a shame that Gold Rush Games vanished. At one point, I seriously considered putting together a cyberpunk extension using a modified version of that system. As the bastard child of the Fuzion System from R. Talsorian and the Tri-Stat System from Guardians of Order, I suspected that the Action! could handle the genre well with a few tweaks.

I always liked the Action! System and thought it was a shame that Gold Rush Games vanished. At one point, I seriously considered putting together a cyberpunk extension using a modified version of that system. As the bastard child of the Fuzion System from R. Talsorian and the Tri-Stat System from Guardians of Order, I suspected that the Action! could handle the genre well with a few tweaks.

I agree. Action! System has a lot of potential. A powers set and vehicle rules are all that would be required to make it truly a universal, generic game. It and its license documents were still available to download last time I checked at DriveThruRPG and RGPNow. But the author would truly be producing and marketing the materials on his own at this point. On the other hand, it is fully free to use as long as the proper acknowledgements are made.

Well...you can't market it as the Action! system any more as the trademark license required you to contact Gold Rush Games (which no longer exists). However, all of the Open Game Content from the rules is still available for misuse...

Somebody did do a mecha system for the game that could easily be modified into a vehicles system.

However, all of the Open Game Content from the rules is still available for misuse...

Here is the most recent incarnation of the Action! rules that I know of; combined with the OGL Anime SRD, and a few extras:

Somebody did do a mecha system for the game that could easily be modified into a vehicles system.

The Mecha oriented work is MechASsemble SRD (v3). The download does not seem to exist anymore.

Now to restore the balance and post BRP links on the Action! web site...

Edited by dragonewt

Here is the most recent incarnation of the Action! rules that I know of; combined with the OGL Anime SRD, and a few extras:

Thanks for those links - now I'm tempted to start tinkering with the system again :)

The Mecha oriented work is MechASsemble SRD (v3). The download does not seem to exist anymore.

Now to restore the balance and post BRP links on the Action! web site...

I've got a copy of the MechASsemble SRD (v3) and have made it available here:

MechASsemble SRD (v3)

The author (Jamie Borg) also started to draft a fourth version of the SRD, which I've made available here (in OpenOffice / LibreOffice format):

ASsembler Core 4.0 RC2

And he was working on an early draft of a different system for superpowers (also in OpenOffice / LibreOffice format):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6610085/PowASsemble

All of this material is Open Game Content, so now we just need somebody to port the Mecha rules to Legend or OpenQuest ;t)

(My choice would probably be OpenQuest, since Legend might be a bit to fiddly for fast-paced Mecha fun. But I can imagine that OpenQuest could be tweaked to do the anime genre without too much effort.)

Edited by Prime Evil