[BRP/Magic World] Advanced Sorcery announced!

BMonroe

Yay!

Chaosium.com: News - BRP Advanced Sorcery

Advanced Sorcery

Magic World & Basic Roleplaying sourcebook for 2012.

ADVANCED SORCERY

Sorcery Systems for Magic World & Basic Roleplaying.

Item # CHA2029

MSRP $To Be Determined

ISBN10: 156882369X

ISBN13: 9781568823690

Written by Lynn Willis, Lawrence Whitaker, and Friends.

Edited by Ben Monroe

Cover art by Ilich Henriquez

It had taken days for Curumir to attain the summit of the Copper Peaks. He stood at the highest point in the realm, casting his gaze across the land. There was a sickness in the valley; a sickness fey and malign. Black mist crept from Lake Nauriel, and the Count's Court had fallen silent.

In his mind, he pierced the veil between the world, and other places. From these places he drew forth power: elemental fire, the cold of space, the winds of time. And as he drew them together, he knew the land's malady.

Somewhere, the Dragon stirred…

Advanced Sorcery is a supplement to the Magic World roleplaying game.. Whether steeped in philosophy and existentialism, or action and carnage, the one commonality to all tales of fantasy is the influence of the supernatural on the natural world. Mages, wizards and sorcerers force the world to bend to their will. They grab the raw stuff, the fundamental essence of the universe, and force it to do their bidding.

Advanced Sorcery adds new options to players of Magic World, as well as other Basic Roleplaying-based roleplaying games.

Within this book are five distinct chapters:

Deep Magic Mages learn to pull and re-weave the web of reality itself, rather than learning magic by rote and formula.

The Summoner’s Art expanded rules for summoning demons and elementals.

Runes are magical symbols which can be combined for intricate and devastating effects.

Necromancy whether to cheat, or enslave Death, necromancers are among the most foul magicians ever known.

Herbalism details simple and natural concoctions of herbs which can heal, harm or entrance the imbiber.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep Magic Mages learn to pull and re-weave the web of reality itself, rather than learning magic by rote and formula.

Does this mean that BRP/Magic World will be getting a freeform magic system a la Ars Magica or Mage: The Ascension?

How does this source book tally in with the Basic Magic supplement? Is the Basic Magic supplement needed to use it?

How usable will Advanced Sorcery be with alternative settings? Could I use it in Merry England, for example?

Will it also be compatible with RuneQuest 6?

Other than that - I'm stoked! The cover does indeed look awesome! Hope the Magic World and Enlightened Magic look as good as that?:)

Edited by TrippyHippy

awesome cover! ;t)

I guess Deep magic is the same magic system from Elric's Unknow East supplement.

Indeed it is! Most of the Advanced Sorcery book is pulled from the Bronze Grimoire, but Deep Magic was from the Unknown East, and "Herbalism" is a repurposing of the "Drugs" section of the Melnibone sourcebook.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Does this mean that BRP/Magic World will be getting a freeform magic system a la Ars Magica or Mage: The Ascension?

Yeah, essentially.

How does this source book tally in with the Basic Magic supplement? Is the Basic Magic supplement needed to use it?

It doesn't have anything to do with Basic Magic. It's a standalone sourcebook for Magic World, or BRP.

How usable will Advanced Sorcery be with alternative settings? Could I use it in Merry England, for example?

It's a setting-free book, so you can do whatever you want with it.

Will it also be compatible with RuneQuest 6?

As much as any BRP book is compatible with RQ6.

Other than that - I'm stoked! The cover does indeed look awesome! Hope the Magic World and Enlightened Magic look as good as that?:)

:D

I was really excited to hear that they had chosen to do the Magic World reboot, and now there will be supplements?!?

There's one other supplement after Advanced Sorcery, which is nearly completed. I've got two more on my radar which are in various stages of development.

Cool.

One of my longest running games from my student years in the 1990s was Mage: The Ascension and while I didn't play Ars Magica anything like as much it was always a favorite too. Now, I can take the best concepts of both these games and play a magic-orientated 'occult world' game in the BRP system.

Indeed, the notion of doing a 'Paradigm War' style setting is now a distinct possibility.

I've got two more on my radar which are in various stages of development.

Any hints or clues as to type of content on these other supplements? More magic systems? Setting sandboxes? A bestiary or similar compendium?

How many more questions could one ask in a row? I won't tell anyone... O:)

Emerging from my Dark Age...

Indeed, the notion of doing a 'Paradigm War' style setting is now a distinct possibility.

Closest thing I could think of that could match this among the previously-published material out there would be Nephilim.

You'll definitely also want to check out "Enlightened Magic" too, then. It's got some great material on running modern occult/urban fantasy games for BRP.
That sounds like fun! Maybe getting a Nephilim-style setting going using only Enlightened Magic...

Either way, it sounds like BRP is getting some interesting support for the future. Thanks for the heads-up, zomben.

I knew about John Snead's Enlightened Magic too, and in fact used to own the original Liber Ka. I will be picking that up too.

Nephilim had it's issues as a game - excessively long life-path-though-several-epochs character generation, and the very fact that many gamers didn't actually want to play a repossessing spirit, but rather wanted to play mortal folk introduced into the occult world. Nephilim was Chaosium's attempt at doing their own version of Vampire, really. It wasn't really a game about a paradigm war, more a game about personal power accumulation amidst occult conspiracies (politics amongst super powered immortals). Unknown Armies offers something like a paradigm war, and it is at least percentile so could be adapted to BRP. However, the magic(k) in that game, and it's general premise is geared towards playing freaks and criminals, rather than 'enlightened visionaries', which is what I'm after really.

Edited by TrippyHippy

Nephilim was Chaosium's attempt at doing their own version of Vampire, really. It wasn't really a game about a paradigm war, more a game about personal power accumulation amidst occult conspiracies (politics amongst super powered immortals).

Fair enough. However, it sprang to mind due to the elemental-ties that characters had and the multiple-element effects they could create. Reminded me quite a bit of the M:tA mechanics of blending dots of various Spheres for advanced effects.

Still, I hope you find the rules you like to get your enlightened visionaries game off the ground. Sorry for running the thread so OT!

Any hints or clues as to type of content on these other supplements? More magic systems? Setting sandboxes? A bestiary or similar compendium

Not until things are firmed up a bit, but I'm very excited about what's in the cooker right now.

Exciting news! I've been working with Charles Green, who has revised/reworked his magic material from the "Gods of Law" and "Gods of Chaos" monographs. All of the sorcery spells from those two books, as well as a couple of new demon abilities will all be included in the Advanced Sorcery book. So, this adds an additional 27 sorcery spells to the game, all of which are weird, powerful spells. I'm very happy about this addition, and think it adds tremendous value to the book.

Also, I'm really happy to be able to get Charles' material into print finally.

There's one other supplement after Advanced Sorcery, which is nearly completed. I've got two more on my radar which are in various stages of development.

Not until things are firmed up a bit, but I'm very excited about what's in the cooker right now.

You naughty little tease!:P

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

And, in further exciting news, I just got clearance from Richard Watts to use his magic stuff (spells, demon abilities) from Gods of Law/Chaos as well!

So, all the spells which he and Charles Green cooked up for those two monographs will now be appearing in the Advanced Sorcery supplement, as the titular chapter. Their Demon abilities will be plopped seamlessly into the Demons chapter of the same book.

Yay!

Sure!

Your mage is trained in a selection of "Spheres" and "Elements". Specifically:

THE SPHERES OF INFLUENCE:

EARTH: The first of the elements. This Sphere includes all minerals and metals, be they base or precious, solid or liquid.

FLORA: The spawn of Earth. This Sphere includes all vegetation, from the lowliest fungi to the greatest of trees.

FAUNA: All beasts of subhuman intelligence, including insects, fish, birds and reptiles.

WATER: The second element, including all liquids composed mainly of water or which rely on it for their composition: lakes, rivers, streams, the sea, the rain, wine, milk and dew.

SPIRIT: The Sphere of the senses: Sight, sound, taste, smell and hearing. This Sphere also governs the soul, the base from which all senses are judged to have emerged from to summon forth the inhabitants of other planes.

FIRE: The third element. This Sphere governs all aspects of fire: smoke, heat, and flames. It also covers the associated elements of light and darkness.

FLESH: The Sphere of Man. This Sphere covers all aspects of human intelligence and physical being. Anything that directly affects the flesh and intelli5ence of humans is the province of this Sphere.

AIR: The fourth element. Air governs the movement of the winds, the hurricanes and the tornadoes—elements which have the capability to soothe or to destroy.

THE RUNES OF POWER

INHIBITION: This enables the stopping and prevention of things.

DIMINUTION: The Diminution rune effects the reduction of things in size, shape, mass and density.

SUMMONING: The rune of Summoning allows the mind of a sorcerer to enter into the realms that are unseen and untouchable by ordinary people: it allows the sorcerer to draw forth otherworldly entities.

CREATION: The Creation rune governs the making of things from raw materials and. in some cases, the making of things where no raw materials are available.

DIRECTION: This rune masters the movement and redirection of things, either up, down, side to side or in any permutation possible within the limits of earthly physics.

ENHANCEMENT: The rune of Enhancement is the opposite of Diminution and promotes the growth or acceleration of things.

DISMISSAL: The opposite rune to Summoning. This power allows a sorcerer to dismiss from this world creatures that may have come from others.

TRANSMUTATION: The Transmutation rune allows for the changing of one thing into another-& it water into ice or steam, or flesh into stone or metal. This is the rune of ultimate Chaos and as such is the most difficult rune to master.

You combine a Sphere with a Rune, and then decide what the effect is. Perhaps you want to create "magic beans" ala Jack and the Beanstalk. Mix "Flora" with "Enhancement" and you're all set. Want to make a spring bubble up and provide refreshing clean water for your group? "Water" + "Creation" and you're set.

There's a Magic Point cost associated with whatever you're trying to do. This is based on how 'big' an effect you want to get, with a bit of Player/GM negotiation to be had, as well.

Okydoky...so it is like Ars Magica in it's approach. Good news! :)

A few suggestions then, (if you are still open to them!):

- Is there scope for a including a sidebar that suggests making up your own 'Spheres'? I say this, because in the Mage; The Ascension Storyteller's Guide there was scope for it (eventually- it wasn't an early release). The major thing is that having Greek Elements and the like very much sets the paradigm up as being medieval in effect. If you were doing a modern setting, having Spheres like Matter, Forces, Life, Time and Space and so on seem more applicable to our contemporary sensibilities about how the Universe works. I'm not suggesting changing the core ones, just make doing your own an option, to suit whatever symbolical aspects of the paradigm you are trying to evoke).

- I'm not sure about the universality of the combinations on offer. How would you speed up Time, for example? Or scry on somebody far away? Ars Magica divides it's 'Verb and Nouns' into 10 Forms (similar to your 8, although you've merged Mentem into other categories and ditched Vim). It's 5 Techniques (Perdo- 'I destroy', Creo- 'I create', Muto - 'I change', Regio - 'I control, Intelligo - 'I perceive'). That is pretty universal in application. You've gone with 8 (symbolically?), which is fine, but some seem more narrow than others, and the borders between some are a bit fuzzy. What about Divination as a category?

- Nomenclature. Making the terms as evocative as they can be gives a lot of flavor to systems like these. Ars Magica used Latin terminology, as an example. That certainly sounds more interesting than 'Diminish' and so on. Using Latin terms isn't necessarily sthe way to go (again, it fixes it towards a particular paradigm), but having a run through the names to come up with he best possible names might be an idea.

Hope this is taken as positive feedback..I might type out a few alternatives to show what I mean later (if I have time!).

Okydoky...so it is like Ars Magica in it's approach. Good news! :)

A few suggestions then, (if you are still open to them!): ...snip...

Hope this is taken as positive feedback..I might type out a few alternatives to show what I mean later (if I have time!).

I'm not sure about any of the enhancements you are asking about, but there is some difference to ArsMagica. The Spheres and Rune system, as listed, is essentially a modified version of Loz' magic system that appeared in Unknown East. Something like what your after may have been added, but based on Zomben's post above, it doesn't look like it.

As far as other settings such as Modern Fantasy, sounds like John Snead's Enlightened Magic might be the ticket.

But, hell. This is BRP. Mixing and matched and general bodging should not be that difficult.

SDLeary