Chaosium Adventure Contests 2012

Chaosium.com: News - 2012 Chaosium.com Adventure Contests

So: no Halloween contest this year, and the BRP contest is specifically focused on SF . Interesting...

Cheers,

Nick

Hmm! Even tho I like Sci-Fi guess it rules out my Cowboys and Demons adventure (Weird West) I ran recently with my players I had planned to clean up and send in to next contest. Guess I'll just save it for another time. Initially it was loosely based on the Cowboys and Aliens movie but developed into an entirely different beast. Either way it will be fun to see what people have in store this time! ;t)

BRP contest is specifically focused on SF . Interesting...

Ah, good. I personally feel that more focus is needed for these. There are certain genres I'm just not interested in, which makes the broad spectrum adventures books not as appealing.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

You could redo it as Cowboys and Elder Things or Cthulhu and Indians and do it for Call of Cthulhu.

That is one way to go. But I would have to get a copy of the CoC book to be sure everything conforms to CoC. But yes the transformation would be very simple to do I think. ;D

rust: Please, please, please resurrect a portion of your Pharos IV/Varun campaign and submit an aquatic space adventure!

This is unfortunately rather unlikely, because my new job does

not leave me a lot of spare time. :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering what kind of sci-fi adventures you guys would be interesting in seeing in the monograph contest. It's such a broad category...and with no setting anything goes! I'm thinking of submitting an adventure myself but am having trouble choosing a sub genre for it. I have some ideas that run the gamut from sci-fi horror to space opera. I need help narrowing it down!

So what would be fun?

I always like my Sci-Fi games very Firefly/Traveller inspired so hoping for several adventures in that style. We ran a campaign with GURPS in a sandbox world of my own creation a while back. We have been talking about resurrecting that one but using BRP instead. So hopefully there will be plenty of adventures I can plug into that campaign world.

I always like my Sci-Fi games very Firefly/Traveller inspired so hoping for several adventures in that style. We ran a campaign with GURPS in a sandbox world of my own creation a while back. We have been talking about resurrecting that one but using BRP instead. So hopefully there will be plenty of adventures I can plug into that campaign world.

Yes, Traveller, old and new, casts a long shadow when it comes to science fiction role-playing. I finally had the opportunity to print out and study Future World from the old Worlds of Wonder set. It presents a very Traveller-esque career path for acquiring skills even though FW's galactic empire is nothing like Traveller's Third Imperium.

Since the FW planets are connected by stargates, its empire doesn't consist of contiguous real estate; the worlds are randomly scattered throughout the galaxy. And there are no direct routes to anywhere; you always have to go the roundabout way because the gates are set up to confuse and defeat potential invaders. But what would they do against invaders that used old-fashioned rocketships?

The FW weapons list, too, gives a nod to Traveller equipment, as do some of the physical armor types. On the other hand, FW tacpack force field technology is very different from Traveller gear. A user has to constantly try to figure out what sort of weapons his foes are employing and adjust the force field accordingly -- and hope his battery doesn't run out of juice in the meantime. A duel between a Traveller mercenary in powered combat armor and an ICE operative with a tackpack would be ... interesting.

• 2 months later...