Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do people use Wealth Levels?

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to spend a lot of time researching pricing using either current games or supplements but recently for some of my fantasy games I've been using real world prices, but converting them to the monetary system I use. Where a silver coin, the Guild, is worth $1.00 U.S. This gives my players an easy reference and gives me an easy wage standard.

Since everyone knows that minimum wage is roughly $7.50 / hour and the cost of a beer is roughly $2.50 to $3.00, when I tell them that their patron wants to hire them to do a job that will take about 1 day's time and he's paying them 100 silver each, they know that's better than a common laborer should get.

If they go in a bar and the bar tender wants 1 silver for an ale, they know either it's pretty bad beer or it's watered down.

So I'm not really concerned with historical accuracy personally, I'm looking to make running my game fairly easy and fun for the players.

Oh and I'm not finding fault with those GMs who want that accuracy! If that's how you roll, great, it's just not how I roll or role as the case may be!
    Skunk

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall
    Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Check out what games Iím working on and their status by visiting here.

Wizard Quest fantasy campaign

Tampa Bay Game Players Forum

285/420

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Where a silver coin, the Guild, is worth $1.00 U.S. ... If they go in a bar and the bar tender wants 1 silver for an ale...
    Yep, this is pretty much the principle used by the famous "Ale Standard", in a White Dwarf article back in The Good Old Days.

Except then it was 1sp = £1, and the price of a beer was 50p, so a 1sp ale should've been mighty fine... sigh.
    Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Downloads
    Uploads

If they go in a bar and the bar tender wants 1 silver for an ale, they know either it's pretty bad beer or it's watered down.
    That might not be the case. Prices for goods do not always stay the same relative to each other. For instance back in the 70s when the minimum wage was around $5.15, fifty cent beers were common.
    Smiley when you say that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    That might not be the case. Prices for goods do not always stay the same relative to each other. For instance back in the 70s when the minimum wage was around $5.15, fifty cent beers were common.
    True, but I'm trying to set up an easy to recognize (from a player point of view) monetary system that will help with them identifying with the game world. By using real world prices, the don't have to say, hey John, is that a good price for a meal, and the reverse is true, I don't have to say, hey, the amount he wants to hire you for is really good.
    Skunk

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall
    Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Check out what games Iím working on and their status by visiting here.

Wizard Quest fantasy campaign

Tampa Bay Game Players Forum

285/420

Downloads
    Uploads

...I've been using real world prices, but converting them to the monetary system I use. Where a silver coin, the Guild, is worth $1.00 U.S.
    Would it help if the silver coins were perhaps named after the historic guild-master who invented them, Tollar?
    Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Downloads
    Uploads

True, but I'm trying to set up an easy to recognize (from a player point of view) monetary system that will help with them identifying with the game world. By using real world prices, the don't have to say, hey John, is that a good price for a meal, and the reverse is true, I don't have to say, hey, the amount he wants to hire you for is really good.
    I see your point, but there will be a few things to watch out for if you aren't running a modern day setting. Some things that are fairly inexpesinve today would be much more expensive in a lower tech setting. Good quality steel, weapons and armor, fresh seafood (if not on the coast), oranges.

The $1 silver piece is easy for the players to grasp, and GURPS has used it for years, but it doesn't always hold up.
    Smiley when you say that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well having had GURPS and played it for ages. Even in 4th Edition they too strayed from the $ is equal to the real life dollar. I don't have the book near but they even say it in the core books. So basically it's now a simple credit system and I assume they have just kept the $ sign out of habit, and to be honest I had hoped they would have gone the same way with BRP.

Not that I think the wealth system is bad or anything and in some genres it's even an excellent fit and it's easy to modify. Thats why I decided to try the hybrid system I presented in my first post since I know many players love to be able to count the acquired wealth but they still have their wealth level to cover the basic expenses.