How do people use Wealth Levels?

Chorpa

True, but I'm trying to set up an easy to recognize (from a player point of view) monetary system that will help with them identifying with the game world. By using real world prices, the don't have to say, hey John, is that a good price for a meal, and the reverse is true, I don't have to say, hey, the amount he wants to hire you for is really good.

I see your point, but there will be a few things to watch out for if you aren't running a modern day setting. Some things that are fairly inexpesinve today would be much more expensive in a lower tech setting. Good quality steel, weapons and armor, fresh seafood (if not on the coast), oranges.

The $1 silver piece is easy for the players to grasp, and GURPS has used it for years, but it doesn't always hold up.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Well having had GURPS and played it for ages. Even in 4th Edition they too strayed from the $ is equal to the real life dollar. I don't have the book near but they even say it in the core books. So basically it's now a simple credit system and I assume they have just kept the $ sign out of habit, and to be honest I had hoped they would have gone the same way with BRP.

Not that I think the wealth system is bad or anything and in some genres it's even an excellent fit and it's easy to modify. Thats why I decided to try the hybrid system I presented in my first post since I know many players love to be able to count the acquired wealth but they still have their wealth level to cover the basic expenses.