2 questions

Claybor

Are there any BRP products with a more realistic/ simulationist approach to combat rounds and movement. While 12 second rounds seem ok (although still too long in my opinion) for fantasy, they just make little sense to me for modern/future games. I know I could just half or quarter each, I wonder if that would throw off other aspects of the game?

I am also interested in whether there are any ad/disad systems in place in any BRP products?

Thanks.

Are there any BRP products with a more realistic/ simulationist approach to combat rounds and movement. While 12 second rounds seem ok (although still too long in my opinion) for fantasy, they just make little sense to me for modern/future games. I know I could just half or quarter each, I wonder if that would throw off other aspects of the game?

I am also interested in whether there are any ad/disad systems in place in any BRP products?

Thanks.

No ads/disad systems that I know of.

And, as far as any rules shortening the length of a combat round, I am not sure why 12 seconds is too long for modern/future games. Ringworld used the Impulse system, where a combat action typically took anywhere from 1 to 7 seconds depending on DEX (typical human ranges would be 3 to 6 seconds). But, it is a rather complex system. However, since it is possible for characters with a high DEX to act more than once in a combat round, 12 seconds is less of an issue. 12 seconds to aim at a target and fire, and then aim again and fire. Seems workable to me.

Ian

Whether your knife is made of napped flint or ever-sharp ceramic, you can only swing it SO fast... For modern and hi-tech combat 12 seconds works fine - the problematic area is handling realistic rates of fire, the over effectiveness of armour and player habits built up from playing RPG's and watching Hollywood films.... Make firearms capable of full auto fire and appropriately deadly, make the compromises in effective armour more apparent and combat changes A LOT: much more use of cover etc.

Having said all that, house ruling that combat rounds are actually 6 seconds will have virtually no impact on the rules (unless you are making extensive use of Powers, in which case durations may need adjusting) and a few tweaks can make BRP combat feel pretty good as a tabletop approximation of modern / hi-tech combat.

The Superpowers section of the Powers chapter of the Big Gold Book has one which can be used with a very restrained character point budget in any genre, not just Superheroes. The new Cthulhu By Gaslight 3rd Edition has a "traits" system that is specifically designed to add something similar to an ads / disads system to CoC.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks.

Steve Perrin's Quest Rules uses an ad/disad system I think. It hasn't been published yet, but is being worked on. Take a look here for his site. There's also a yahoogroup.