RENAISSANCE DELUXE

doomedpc

renaissance.jpgRenaissance Deluxe is a set of role-playing rules for the age of sail and piracy; of black powder weaponry and religious wars; of discovery, colonisation, and the rise of merchant capitalism.

Using the D100-based system first introduced in Clockwork & Chivalry 2nd Edition, it provides all you need for historical/alternate/fantasy gaming in a world of flintlocks and steel. It features familiar mechanics, grim and gritty combat, extensive period weapons and equipment lists, dozens of professions, and rules for factions and belief systems. It also includes two magick systems - Battle Alchemy and Witchcraft.

The Deluxe edition has been expanded with new weapons and factions, and historical notes for the period from the Renaissance to the Napoleonic era, as well as new rules for Sanity and Quick Combat. Numerous other optional rules and ideas are included, as well as extensive notes and ideas for games masters. All rules are optional, allowing you to tailor the mechanics to your own campaign.

By Peter Cakebread & Ken Walton. 170 pages. Published by Cakebread & Walton July 2012.

Edited by Trifletraxor
Edited to fit the style of the other product threads.

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My players told me that they got somewhat tired of Medieval fantasy settings and

would prefer another period for a change, so I downloaded first Renaissance Deluxe

and then also Clockwork and Chivalry to convert my Medieval Selonia setting to a

Renaissance setting. After reading through Renaissance Deluxe and Clockwork and

Chivalry and beginning to convert my setting I just wanted to congratulate both

authors to their excellent system and great presentation of the material.

A very well deserved ;t);t);t);t);t) (no star emoticons here ...)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I don't have this Renaissance Deluxe rulebook, but I do have the new edition of Clockwork &Chivalry, and its great. A lovely hardcover book with good production standards. The Renaissance mechanics come together quite well and I'm sure it will be a great game to run. I'll have to read the rules more thoroughly to clarify, but I think the only additional game mechanics in the Renaissance core rulebook would be Sanity and Quick Combat. Because I have C&C 2E I would rather not buy this Renaissance rulebook, but I may grab Clockwork & Cthulhu instead...anyway I can certainly attest that the products for Renaissance are quite good and this game deserves some publicity in the stores

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I've just placed an order for Renaissance Deluxe from cubicle7. I'm extremely excited, but I've also got some unanswered questions. While I am familiar with the time frame ranging from Elizabethan through ECW on into early 18th century (and so on etc), for someone who has already been familiarized with the CoC/BRP family, would it have been better to purchase the C&C2e or the Ren Deluxe? While I do enjoy a generic ruleset, but going for the Renaissance Deluxe hardcopy am I missing out on a lot from the C&C2e hardcopy outside of fluff? Just curious, because while this sounds like one of the most amazing things I could potentially purchase in an RPG frame, would I have been better off buying the Clockwork & Chivalry book instead? it would seem cakebread and walton have gone above and beyond to give both of these as much of a AAA release as possible (and have filled a notable void in the P&P genre), there's little direct comparison between the two tomes. From what I've gathered it would seem that C&C2e is of course a main core book with a focus on 1645 specifically, likely with accompanying information, whereas Renaissance Deluxe is more of a generic ruleset to apply to any blackpowder era, ranging from 15th to 19th centuries and has a few spotrule additions, not the least of which being ship to ship combat, a major weakness of mine (squee!). While I would love to hand over $50 to a small company like this, the $30 I did spend also seemed a safer bet. I may be rambling a bit, but I suppose ultimately my concern is Renaissance vs. Clockwork & Chivalry, which to get if one has neither? As I've previously stated, Renaissance Deluxe has already been ordered and is en route, just curious about what I'm missing from the larger tome. Thank you for reading this far, if you still are.

Currently running...

Blood & Oil... The Wastes of Mad Max in BRP on Roll20

I may be rambling a bit, but I suppose ultimately my concern is Renaissance vs. Clockwork & Chivalry, which to get if one has neither?

If you have Renaissance Deluxe, but not Clockwork and Chivalry, all you miss is setting

specific material for a campaign during the time of the Civil War in England, like for ex-

ample the various factions involved in that conflict.

I did order Clockwork and Chivalry after downloading Renaissance Deluxe because the

player characters of my Selonia setting are likely to need at least one other country for

activities like diplomacy and trade, and a well detailed fantastic wartime England and

Scotland fits perfectly into the setting and offers lots of interesting opportunities for

the player characters - otherwise Renaissance Deluxe would have been all I needed.

So, if your intended setting has nothing to do with England and the period of the Civil

War, you do not need Clockwork and Chivalry, except perhaps as a very good example

of how to use the Renaissance Deluxe system for a specific setting.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Thank you very much rust. Of course, in an ideal world I'd just get both and be done with it, lol. I'm somewhat familiar already with the historical aspects of the ECW, however my wife would much rather move the clock ahead a bit and move the action to France for more of a Clockwork Dumas setting. We tend to freeform, great thing about having a dice chucker for a wife :) Thanks for the info, and here's to both books selling millions of copies!

Currently running...

Blood & Oil... The Wastes of Mad Max in BRP on Roll20

• 3 months later...

I am totally loving these games btw.

It takes some elements from RQ 6, and leaving out all the annoying stuff - so good job there ;)

What other future supplements do you have in mind? Anything you can share?

EDIT: This has pretty much become my core now, having taken over from BRP. Anything I want I bring into Renaissance / Clockwork and Chivalry.

Edited by rogerd

Thanks for the kind words, everyone :)

We just finished Dark Streets (Bow Street Runners vs Mythos - horror on the dark streets of Georgian London) and Hellfire (a Dark Streets adventure) for Renaissance. We have at least two more settings planned for the Renaissance system, and there are some third party releases in the offing. We're also brewing some other material for some of our existing lines. We were going to release a New Year statement with our release schedule, but Ken was poorly for the last few months of 2012. It hasn't slowed us down much (as we had lots of things to sign off in that time), but did delay the release of our plans - watch this space - we'll have lots of exciting news coming up :D

Peter Cakebread

We just finished Dark Streets (Bow Street Runners vs Mythos - horror on the dark streets of Georgian London) and Hellfire (a Dark Streets adventure) for Renaissance.

Is Dark Streets more an adventure or another corebook sort of thing?

We have at least two more settings planned for the Renaissance system and there are some third party releases in the offing.

Can you say anything more without casuing any legal issues?

We're also brewing some other material for some of our existing lines.

More corebooks or adventures?

We were going to release a New Year statement with our release schedule, but Ken was poorly for the last few months of 2012. It hasn't slowed us down much (as we had lots of things to sign off in that time), but did delay the release of our plans - watch this space - we'll have lots of exciting news coming up :D

I hope he gets better soon.

Is Dark Streets more an adventure or another corebook sort of thing?

Dark Streets is a sourcebook for Renaissance. Info here:

Dark Streets PDF available now! – Clockwork and Chivalry

and a review:

DriveThruRPG.com

and not a review:

Dark Streets, by Cakebread & Walton This is not a… | RPGpundit on Xanga

It includes one adventure (although there are lots of adventure seeds). Another adventure, Hellfire, has been released as a pdf:

Hellfire - Cakebread & Walton | DriveThruRPG.com

A print version of Hellfire will be out in the Spring.

Peter Cakebread

Can you say anything more without casuing any legal issues?

Not yet, aside from the things that have already been announced - but it shouldn't be too long before we release details of some new projects.

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

I hope he gets better soon.

Thank you :)

Ken was poorly for the last 3 or 4 months of last year - he just got over his bout of illness...and then broke his ribs. That said, over that time he still managed to work on lots of projects (Dark Streets, Under the Lamplight, and various other stuff). Thankfully he is better now, so we can get on with planning our schedule - it is looking to be packed.

Peter Cakebread

• 1 month later...