[Magic World] A Character For It

BMonroe

Here's a little teaser for y'all. A 'mostly by the book' character I just made up for Magic World. By "mostly" I mean that it's almost entirely by the book, with a few houserules/options turned on. I'll italicize anything that's non-standard, and explain it in parentheses.

Name: Roac

Species: Human Age: 27 Gender: Male

Birthplace: Windriver Valley (from my homebrew campaign setting)

Culture: Chiefdom

Looks/Attitude: Guarded expression, piercing eyes

Allegiance: Light - 15, Balance - 25, Shadow - 5

STR: 14

CON: 15

SIZ: 13

INT: 15

POW: 16

DEX: 17

APP: 13

(In my own campaign, I allow all PCs to roll their characteristics by dropping a die, and adding the max value instead. So, for humans, this means all characteristics are 2D6+6)

Hit Points: 28 (I use the 'Heroic Hit Points' option, which makes HP the total of SIZ+COn

Skills:

Physical + 7: Brawl 27, Climb 47, Dodge 39, Jump 32, *Ride 52, Swim 32, Throw 52, Wrestle 32

Communication+7: Bargain 22, Disguise 22, Fast Talk 22, Oratory 32

Knowledge +8: Evaluate 23, *Nature 83, Navigate 38, Own Language 83, Physik 38, World Lore 23

Manipulation +8: Conceal Object 34, Hide 29, Move Quietly 69, Pick Lock 14, Repair/Devise 77, Sailing 24, Trap 34

Perception +8: Insight 23, Listen 43, Sense 63, Search 28, *Track 48

Weapons:

Broadsword, 62%, d8+1+d4

Longbow, 79%, 2D6+1+d2

Armor: Leather and Rings - d6+1/d6

Shield: Small, 22%, 20 Hit Points

Spells: Raven Form (4) - Only able to cast it on himself (The Hunter profession normally can only offer 3 levels of magic. I -really- wanted to make a guy who can turn into a raven, so I took the 4-pt spell, but altered it so he can only cast it on himself.)

Raven Form

STR: 2

CON: 5

SIZ: 2

INT: 15

POW: 16

DEX: 28

Skills: Dodge 80, Search 100, Sense 100

Weapons: Claw, 40%, 1d2; Bite, 25% 1d3

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be away from the computer tomorrow, but will answer when I get back. Or, there are a few people on this board who are familiar with the MW rules as they are currently, and they can probably answer any questions.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

There's not a lot of changes to what you'd consider the 'core' BRP experience. The main thing I've fiddled with is the way Skill points are allocated, and a few other chargen-related things. But, I keep the original "Here's a bunch of skill points: spread 'em out however you want" system that everyone's familiar with. All the chargen changes were done for the sake of quicker character creation, but I feel they still give interesting, well-rounded, and robust characters.

Aside from that a few little tweaks and polishing here and there. Minor stuff, really; I'd be surprised if most people even noticed the few changes I've made to the core system.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I agree, looks nice and straightforward. Any idea when the book will be out?

This I don't know. I know it's actively being worked on in Hayward right now. I'm assuming it'll be out later this summer/fall. But don't quote me on that.

The Underlined skills are those given to you by your profession. It's important to note them because there's some Experience Roll trickery to your Occupation Skills.

The Asterisked skills come from your Culture. Each Culture template has a list of a few skills (half a dozen or so), and you get to choose three of them in which you were trained. Each of those skills gets a +10 percentile bonus when you make your character.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's in layout and art right now. I would imagine sometime later in the year, but I doubt it'll hit the 'summer' noted on the Chaosium web site.