OpenQuest 2 What would like to see?

Newt

This is what OQ 2 is currently slated to include:

• Purely random character generation.
  • New Spells, (at least 50 Battle Magic )
  • Sorcery Enhanced.
  • Generic Deities + spells.
  • Blood Magic for evil magicians.
  • Straight forward rules for Relationships by Simon Bray.
  • At least ten New Monsters.
  • Genre Guides. How to use OpenQuest for specific Genres such as Swords and Sorcery, Low Magic settings, High Fantasy etc
  • Plus other small highlight boxes, containing explanation of current rules for the first time D100 player or Games Master.
  • Mass combat + Domain rules
  • Otherworlds of magic explained.
  • More setting info for the Empire of Gatan.
  • More plunder items.

Here's your chance to influence me and pitch for your favoured rules addition from the above list or suggest something not on the list.

Couple of caveats

• Any rules suggestion has to be done the OpenQuest way. ie be simple and straight forward, ideally roll % skill then an immediate effect.
  • No importing of rules from RQ or BRP, so no suggestions I'd like to see RQ6 style combat maneuvers in OQ ;)
  • Keep criticism constructive. I should really need to tell you how to behave on a forum, but I know how these things blow up sometimes :)

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

If 'Cults' are going to be in the book, how's about a template and examples on how to write out a Cult?

If OQ2 really can be used for high magic, does that mean we'll see spells like; Invisibility, Fireball, Fly?

What about rules for creating your own magical items?

I'll give you simply a note of caution. OQ is popular because it is overtly simple. By adding more and more to it, you run the risk of trampling on that design aim/aesthetic and becoming a victim of your own success. I would recommend, Indiegogo obligations granted, that you try to limit what is put in to OQ2; keep it to those things that are really needed and try to avoid it becoming a veritable tome (like all the other rules-bound games out there).

Also, make sure it's well proof-read. I've recently gone through Rik's "The Red Book" and am willing to give the OQ2 manuscript a good going over also if you like. It's in my best interest as I've backed it. n:)

132/420

I would like to suggest revising the weapon lists. Currently, some weapon stat and price doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone wanna use rapier in stead of shortsword when a shortsword has the same damage dice and the same ENC, but with lower str/dex requirements, bigger size, and lower price? The same go to club and hatchet which superior to rapier and much cheaper. The great sword is the same as the great hammer just more expensive.

I don't know if any of this has been this way as a design purpose. But if it is an oversight, I suggest a revision as it won't add any complexity to OQ in anyway.

Edited by RedCastle

Sanpat Suvarnadat

A few more suggestions:

1. Change the base value of the skills that based on a characteristic +10 to 2 x the characteristic. This will give more importance to characteristics without changing the average starting value. And you may consider revising other skill starting value as well, for example: resilience should be based on 2xCON instead of CON+POW. This will be more consistent with both older and newer edition of runequest except MRQ1. Only MRQ1 use CON+POW as far as I recall.

2. Any size limitation for grappling? Currently, any goblin can grapple a dragon successfully if the goblin have enough Unarmed skill. Is this by Design? May be a character can only grapple a unit that have SIZ less than 1.5 or 2 time their SIZ.

3. Any optional rule to support miniature play? Like bash or slam enemy to manipulate its position on battlemat for tactical purpose. I.E. Bash: close combat vs parry or dodge, if attacker win, the defender move back 2m (1 grid). In case of critical success move 4m(2 grid). Cannot use on enemy with more than 2 time your SIZ. defender make athletic roll or fall prone.

Slam is the same as Bash but use Unarmed skill (body tackle) instead of close combat. And if success the attacker move in to the defender original position.

Or you can use Legend's Bash: every 5 point of damage roll move opponent back 1 meter.

4. Charging increase damage bonus by one step instead of fixed 1D6?

5. Clarify that for the mounted character that if enemy have SIZ equal to or more than the mount. No 25% combat modifier.

6. Using weapon in offhand should increase str/dex requirement to +2/+2 or something. Or else any two weapon player will get largest weapon possible in offhand. Like two bastard sword.

7. Last and least important. Trip Opponent: Attack vs Parry/Dodge if success the enemy make athletic - 25 or fall prone, critical success, enemy make athletic - 50 or fall prone.

Edited by RedCastle

Sanpat Suvarnadat

My other house rules pick anything you like :)

All Out Defend: Two Reactions with no Action that round.

Riposte: -25 Parry and Immediately make -25 Attack. Cost only one Reaction.

Surprise Rule as in MRQ1

Edited by RedCastle

Sanpat Suvarnadat

If 'Cults' are going to be in the book, how's about a template and examples on how to write out a Cult?

If OQ2 really can be used for high magic, does that mean we'll see spells like; Invisibility, Fireball, Fly?

What about rules for creating your own magical items?

Cult creation is already covered on p70. Perhaps not as in as much detail as RQ6, but this is OQ ;)

How OQ can be used for a 'High' magic setting will be clarified in the Genre guides. In short if you want to do high magic, you have everyone having a smattering of Battle Magic and then things like Preists (who use Divine) and Wizards (Sorcerers) are fairly common and active in the setting. Fire ball is kinda there with Energy Projection (p 97 ), while Invisibility does need adding in. Various shades of Invisibility spells existed in Chaosium's RQ2 but they were dropped in RQ3 (which is the base for MRQ1, and by evolution OQ).

Rules for creating your own magical items are there in the spell lists (Create Charm, Create Potion, Create Magic Point Store p51-52 for Battle magic, Create Scroll and Create Spell Matrix for Sorcery and Create Blessed Item) but will be highlighted to draw people's attention to them.

I'll give you simply a note of caution. OQ is popular because it is overtly simple. By adding more and more to it, you run the risk of trampling on that design aim/aesthetic and becoming a victim of your own success. I would recommend, Indiegogo obligations granted, that you try to limit what is put in to OQ2; keep it to those things that are really needed and try to avoid it becoming a veritable tome (like all the other rules-bound games out there).

Oh don't worry I won't be adding so much crunch its like bloated box of chrunchflakes ;) No chance of me becoming a victim of my own success on this one I know OQ's appeal is its simplicity, and hey as its author I want to keep that esp for the games I run using it.

None of the rules addition will be more than two pages of text.

I would like to suggest revising the weapon lists. Currently, some weapon stat and price doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone wanna use rapier in stead of shortsword when a shortsword has the same damage dice and the same ENC, but with lower str/dex requirements, bigger size, and lower price? The same go to club and hatchet which superior to rapier and much cheaper. The great sword is the same as the great hammer just more expensive.

I don't know if any of this has been this way as a design purpose. But if it is an oversight, I suggest a revision as it won't add any complexity to OQ in anyway.

Weapons lists where inherited from Mongoose RuneQuest 1 SRD that OQ was based upon. At the time me and the chaps who reviewed the rules decided to keep the weapons tables as was for compatibility with MRQ1 and because we had run out of time to produce the game ( I was about to become a dad for the second time and I knew if I hadn't released OQ before then it would have never got done). If anything I wanted a much much simpler weapons table than the one currently in OQ, which you might get this time out ;)

Weapons lists where inherited from Mongoose RuneQuest 1 SRD that OQ was based upon. At the time me and the chaps who reviewed the rules decided to keep the weapons tables as was for compatibility with MRQ1 and because we had run out of time to produce the game ( I was about to become a dad for the second time and I knew if I hadn't released OQ before then it would have never got done). If anything I wanted a much much simpler weapons table than the one currently in OQ, which you might get this time out ;)

Hi Newt,

Glad to hear back from you. :)

About the weapon list, the one in OQ currently is totally different from MRQ1 SRD. When OQ was still SimpleQuest 0e, the list is the same. I suppose you revising it before changing SQ to OQ. Rapier in MRQ1 and SQ have damage dice of 1d8 while in OQ it's 1d6.

Edited by RedCastle

Sanpat Suvarnadat

How about guidelines for faster, more cinematic combat? I've been dropping hit points for 'mooks' in my games lately, in order to throw hordes of bad guys against my PCs. I usually just halve hit points for cannon fodder bad guys, but maybe there's a cooler way to do that?

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

When Runequest 6 came out I thought this is going to be brilliant - however, after reading the book I decided that it's just too complicated. OQ2 sounds just about right, and I'm really enthused about the direction it's going in.

Great work Newt!

My ideal x-Q fantasy game is OpenQuest, with lots of RQ6 bolted on. Spells, monsters, the new cult/brotherhood stuff, etc.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I'd like to emphasise the request for more spells.

One of the things I'd like to do with OQ2, is use it to run all the old d&d modules. What would be handy, is to have 'template' spells allowing you to extraploate any type of spell you like. Similar to the 'Energy' spell being used for 'fireball'.

Also, I've always run into problems when trying to use XQuest for high fantasy, and it's because hit points don't increase. The end result is the pcs having to cut short a dungeon delve because hit points are so low. That's gritty fantasy, not high fantasy. So perhaps some optional rules to circumnavigate this issue.

Also, I've always run into problems when trying to use XQuest for high fantasy, and it's because hit points don't increase. The end result is the pcs having to cut short a dungeon delve because hit points are so low. That's gritty fantasy, not high fantasy. So perhaps some optional rules to circumnavigate this issue.

Maybe sort out some 'tier' in which the PCs get HP bumps? Like for every skill you raise to 100%, get a 1-point increase in HP?

Another option (that I use) is to alter the amount of starting HP. CON+(1/2 SIZ), or even straight CON+SIZ works well.

Maybe sort out some 'tier' in which the PCs get HP bumps? Like for every skill you raise to 100%, get a 1-point increase in HP?

Another option (that I use) is to alter the amount of starting HP. CON+(1/2 SIZ), or even straight CON+SIZ works well.

Yes, all good work arounds, but it would be neat to see something 'official' in the book.

How about guidelines for faster, more cinematic combat? I've been dropping hit points for 'mooks' in my games lately, in order to throw hordes of bad guys against my PCs. I usually just halve hit points for cannon fodder bad guys, but maybe there's a cooler way to do that?

Not really what OQ is about, and the Ganging Up rules handle large numbers of attackers (say a group of Goblins) just fine.

I'd like to emphasise the request for more spells.

One of the things I'd like to do with OQ2, is use it to run all the old d&d modules. What would be handy, is to have 'template' spells allowing you to extraploate any type of spell you like. Similar to the 'Energy' spell being used for 'fireball'.

It would be too much work to do this, and con try to what D100 is. If you want long drawn out dungeon crawls buy into D&D. If you tinker with hit points to increase player survivablity then you will have all sorts of knock on effects, that I don't want to have to trace and bend the system out of shape.

Spellwise I'm adding in new spells that fill a few gaps and add to the D100 fun. I'm not adding big long lists of spells to emulate D&D.

People keep on asking me to make a D100 D&D out of OpenQuest. Let me state again, I have zero interest in doing this so its not going to happen. Not not in OQ2 anyway ;)

People keep on asking me to make a D100 D&D out of OpenQuest. Let me state again, I have zero interest in doing this so its not going to happen. Not not in OQ2 anyway ;)

That is what Classic Fantasy is all about, so a combination of CF and OQ would suit the D&D-cloners perfectly.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Pole dancing elves!

Rules for creating steam punk type gadgets/machines.

...mmm...your first choice certainly has its merits heh heh, but seriously, Steam Punk OQ could really rock

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Certainly plan to have some quick rules for Steampunky fantasy as one on of the Genre guides, but one of the regular D101 authors wanted to do a Steampunk OQ as a self contained thing. Perhaps now is the time to give him the green light? ;)