OpenQuest 2 What would like to see?

Newt

Certainly plan to have some quick rules for Steampunky fantasy as one on of the Genre guides, but one of the regular D101 authors wanted to do a Steampunk OQ as a self contained thing. Perhaps now is the time to give him the green light? ;)

Well I guess Clockwork & Chivalry covers a steampunk setting during the English Civil War, and the Renaissance d100 system is very influenced by OQ. However it would be great to see OQ do a more Classic Steam Punk setting such as Victorian England thru to The First World War. I think there would be some interest in the setting, considering the popularity of the Steampunk genre. Perhaps even an Urban Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Steam punk hybrid setting would be good, much like the setting from the China Meveille books. Savage Worlds had a crack at this genre with their RunePunk book a few years ago, but I reckon a BRP related system would be a much better fit for such a gritty setting.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Well I guess Clockwork & Chivalry covers a steampunk setting during the English Civil War, and the Renaissance d100 system is very influenced by OQ. However it would be great to see OQ do a more Classic Steam Punk setting such as Victorian England thru to The First World War. I think there would be some interest in the setting, considering the popularity of the Steampunk genre. Perhaps even an Urban Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Steam punk hybrid setting would be good, much like the setting from the China Meveille books. Savage Worlds had a crack at this genre with their RunePunk book a few years ago, but I reckon a BRP related system would be a much better fit for such a gritty setting.

Re China Mieville, I'm sure there is a New Crobuzon based game in the works and it's using BRP. There was an announcement about it a while back

Re China Mieville, I'm sure there is a New Crobuzon based game in the works and it's using BRP. There was an announcement about it a while back
Yeah, now that you say that, I seem to remember this coming up before as a BRP product. It must be vapourware however, as I'm sure there would have been some announcement about it by now. It certainly would be a cool setting for a BRP or OQ game that's for sure.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 2 weeks later...

The Q&A thread has been closed for some reason, but I'd like to ask a question here if it is ok.

How will OQ2 be handling opposed skills over 100? Will you be trimming the larger down to 100 and reducing the smaller skill by a like amount?

Example: Attack 130 v Defend 90 equals Attack 100 v Defend 60

Thanks

The Q&A thread has been closed for some reason,

That thread was for questions during the Pre-order campaign, which is now over. I should have perhaps noted that sorry. I'll probably start a more rulesy Q&A thread after next weekend when I start looking at the document critically myself. But for now here is as good a place as any.

but I'd like to ask a question here if it is ok.

How will OQ2 be handling opposed skills over 100? Will you be trimming the larger down to 100 and reducing the smaller skill by a like amount?

Example: Attack 130 v Defend 90 equals Attack 100 v Defend 60

Thanks

I'll be sticking with the current rule which is

From Page 28 of current OQ rules

Very High Skills

Character’s with Skills over 100% are considered Masters in their fields and under normal circumstances do not fail and quite often perform tasks that are considered

impossible by normal people.

Very High Skills and Opposed Tests

In opposed skill tests characters with skills over 100% are already considered to have succeeded. Therefore to be beaten his opponent needs to score a critical success. Of

course the Master may also roll a critical, in which case the highest roll wins.

For example

Grazum The Blackheart, an evil Orc Warlord is a Master Wrestler with an Athletics skill of 120%. Rurik recklessly challenges him to an arm resting contest. Rurik, who has an Athletics skill of

60%, will automatically lose against Grazum unless Rurik rolls a critical success (6% or lower).

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

• 4 months later...