Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Sven Norén

This phrase has been bouncing around in my head for some time now. I feel there is the seed of an epic Glorantha campaign here, but how would you do it?

Hmm ... The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the title of the debut album of Pink Floyd,

and they took the phrase from the book The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graha-

me. I would probably take a closer look at this book, especially at the chapter titled

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, to see whether this chapter's content provides so-

me inspiration for a campaign. Unfortunately I do not know the book, so I do not ha-

ve any more concrete ideas.

Edit.:

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn tells how Mole and Rat go in search of Otter's missing

son Portly, whom they find in the care of the god Pan. A search for a missing person

who has been taken in by a deity ... I think this could well become a campaign plot.

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Honestly, I'd go with the phrase and how it feels, not where it comes from.

Did Yelm need some help to find out where to leave Hell? Did a son of Donandar travel to the Gates of Dawn to find his true love and play pipes for his true love to follow? Did Yelm hear the pipes and find the way out of Hell?

There are many deities who played a part on the Lightbringer Quest without being Ligthbringers or without being on the Quest itself.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Hmm ... The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the title of the debut album of Pink Floyd,

Yah, that's where I got the phrase from (I am tha old. That's why i play RQ2)

and they took the phrase from the book The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

...and that's where THEY got the phrase from. Hmmmm...

Did Yelm need some help to find out where to leave Hell?

Well, he didn't get out of there until Orlanth came to get him!

Did a son of Donandar travel to the Gates of Dawn to find his true love and play pipes for his true love to follow?

Did Yelm hear the pipes and find the way out of Hell?

* Pipes being wind instruments ought to be a favourite of Orlanths.

* Finding a missing person, perhaps a Sun worshiper, where no one else can reach him.

* The Sun god himself cannot see the shadows, as Ratslaff (wasn't it?) once pointed out.

I think I can twist a simple Search and Rescue into a HeroQuest. Thank you all.

(If anyone has more ideas, please do not hesitate to jot them down here!)

* Pipes being wind instruments ought to be a favourite of Orlanths.

* Finding a missing person, perhaps a Sun worshiper, where no one else can reach him.

That's similar to what I was thinking, but if the piper is an Orlanthi, and therefore the pipes are bagpipes, then surely he's there to help Orlanth find the way out of the underworld.

*Help a kinsman to return from a dangerous journey, or help lost kinfolk find their way home

Edited by PhilHibbs