Sci-Fi based BRP game that is not dead?

MrHemlocks

If I may, I had similar trouble finding something suitable, so I just stole from everyone and made my own lil universe. I use orks and I use them to great effect. When the group finds there's orks in the area, they tend to freak cause there's always more orks than ammunition. And one player played the enigmatic space elf and quit once he realized that he drew all kinds of attention to the group (he's an alien), generally received unwanted bad attention himself (he's an alien) and when crap hit the fan, human medical tech was at a disadvantage to help him (he's an alien). Although I can say there are NO space dwarves in my universe. ;)

Edited by Odin
spelling error

There is nothing currently supported. At least as far as I am aware, I'd love someone to prove me wrong.

There's a game called River of Heaven coming out probably some time this year that uses Open Quest, which is very similar to BRP. Other than that, nothing. You're better off adapting whatever IP/homebrew you want to the ruleset. That sounds like more work than it actually is, as I bet there are a lot of people on this board who would be willing to help or at least be sounding boards for any ideas you pitch if you go this route.

There is also a book called Worlds Beyond that came out in the early 90s. It was decent, but it was only one book.

121/420

Hello

Is there a Sci-Fi based rpg based off the BRP core rules? I am looking for one that is activly supported...company still produces stuff for it.

That covers a LOT of ground. Are you looking for an explore the universe theme? Space merchants? Star empires in conflict? Sadly, BRP is lacking in those things. The closest they ever really got was Ringworld I guess. A long out of print game won't help you now though.

I'd suggest going to the Chaosium website and checking out all they have. I'd like to suggest Swords of Cydoria, for example. I have yet to recieve my physical copy of SoC though (ordered back in December) so you would be better off getting the PDF version if it sounds interesting to you.

Maybe check out The Chronicles of Future Earth? One of the future based Call of Cthulhu supplements?

For the record, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on River of Heaven.

Hmmm ...

Fractured Hopes Chaosium Inc.

Chaosium Inc.

Chaosium Inc.

Outpost 19 Chaosium Inc.

Operation Ulysses PDF Chaosium Inc.

So, not as many as I'd hoped but a few. In addition to River of Heaven, there's also the pending BRP Mecha by Alephtar Games. Interplanetary has been in the works for a loooooong time now, but its author says he's still plugging away on it.

Hmmm ...

Fractured Hopes Chaosium Inc.

Chaosium Inc.

Chaosium Inc.

Outpost 19 Chaosium Inc.

Operation Ulysses PDF Chaosium Inc.

So, not as many as I'd hoped but a few. In addition to River of Heaven, there's also the pending BRP Mecha by Alephtar Games. Interplanetary has been in the works for a loooooong time now, but its author says he's still plugging away on it.

Not really into the Cthulhu in space theme. I run plenty of CoC games and not looking for more of the same stuff. The other links were just adventures not actual game rules. Sure you could play around with adding some of the BRP core rules to them to make a semi playable game but I am interested in a finished Sci-Fi rpg rules book and now I find out there is none for BRP.

Might try Traveller or Rogue Trader. Was looking for a game that combined my favorits...Space 1999, Aliens and Deap Space pc games...

Write your own and submit it to Chaosium or Alephtar games ? ;D

I would really love to see a good sci-fi submissions for BRP, but our current - unannounced - schedule goes straight to mid-2014 so it would not appear very soon, in any case. One of the unannounced books is "somehow" sci-fi but it will not appear before end 2013.

Speaking of which, BRP Mecha has achieved status: Layout 3/10 done, artwork in progress. It will not appear within February as scheduled, but I still hope it may be available next month.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

... but I am interested in a finished Sci-Fi rpg rules book and now I find out there is none for BRP.

It is not difficult at all to use one of the currently available science fiction roleplaying

games and play it with the BRP rules, I have done it for example with Blue Planet, with

GURPS Space and with Traveller. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I ran a 2300AD game with the BRP rules last year with no problems, and I've run a bunch of other SF stuff over the years using generic BRP.

I am really looking forward to River of Heaven and I've been kicking around some ideas for a rather different take on BRP SF - alas time as ever is against me so it progresses slowly :( I keep plugging away though, I'd love there to be multiple, well supported BRP SF games, in the same way there are multiple fantasy games.

If I win the lottery I'd buy the rights to Space Opera and retool it to use BRP.

Cheers,

Nick

I want to defend Cthulhu Rising.

It is light on the Cthulhu, and heavy on the gritty, Aliens-like Sci-Fi. I was going to link to the very resourceful webpage, but it seems to be down..someone please tell me it's temporary..?

Also the BRP-conversions for 2300AD and Traveller are worth downloading.

And I'm another one waiting for the Rivers of Heaven.

When is the Rivers of Heavens game to be released, and what makes it so good? I can not anything about it on the web.

You can find some informations on this website and download

a preview of the game:

River of Heaven update | D101 Games

The author of the game, John Ossoway, is the author of the

Cthulhu Rising material, he demonstrated that he can write

science fiction stuff and understands how a percentily role-

playing game works, so the expectations for River of Heaven

are understandably high.

Edited by rust

(Charlie Chan)

When is the Rivers of Heavens game to be released, and what makes it so good? I can not anything about it on the web.

River of Heaven | D101 Games

It's an SF game that draws on modern authors like Alastair Reynolds, Richard Morgan, Neal Asher and Ken MacLeod rather than the writings of the cyber punk authors of the seventies and eighties or the space opera writers of the fifties and sixties.

Cheers,

Nick

I would really love to see a good sci-fi submissions for BRP, but our current - unannounced - schedule goes straight to mid-2014 so it would not appear very soon, in any case. One of the unannounced books is "somehow" sci-fi but it will not appear before end 2013.

Speaking of which, BRP Mecha has achieved status: Layout 3/10 done, artwork in progress. It will not appear within February as scheduled, but I still hope it may be available next month.

You're "booked up" through 2014. But a BRP science fiction campaign book would take time to research and write. How long do you usually give an author to produce a ready-to-edit manuscript? Between now and the completion of your current publishing schedule ... gives him or her about a year to crank it out for you. ;D

I think I have already made up my mind as to what Sci-fi based rpg to buy. Seeing that nothing substantial, in the way of a BRP Sci-fi rpg, is out I have picked Traveller. There are tons of neat stuff for it and it combines my favorites...Space 1999, Aliens movies, Martian Chronicals, Dune and Dead Space pc game series!

Starting with the core rule book, Traveller Core Rulebook - Core Rulebooks & Accessories - Traveller - RPGs, buying the DM screen, Referee's Screen - Core Rulebooks & Accessories - Traveller - RPGs , and the campaign setting The Spinward Marches - The Third Imperium - Traveller - RPGs . Later will add some other books but this is plenty to start from)))

Edited by MrHemlocks

I think I have already made up my mind as to what Sci-fi based rpg to buy. Seeing that nothing substantial, in the way of a BRP Sci-fi rpg, is out I have picked Traveller. There are tons of neat stuff for it and it combines my favorites...Space 1999, Aliens movies, Martian Chronicals, Dune and Dead Space pc game series!

Starting with the core rule book, Traveller Core Rulebook - Core Rulebooks & Accessories - Traveller - RPGs, buying the DM screen, Referee's Screen - Core Rulebooks & Accessories - Traveller - RPGs , and the campaign setting The Spinward Marches - The Third Imperium - Traveller - RPGs . Later will add some other books but this is plenty to start from)))

A very good choice. Steve Jackson Games made exactly the same one since GURPS Traveller is published out and well supported by its authors as well as its fans.

Will you use it with its own rules or convert it to the BRPS system?

A very good choice. Steve Jackson Games made exactly the same one since GURPS Traveller is published out and well supported by its authors as well as its fans.

Will you use it with its own rules or convert it to the BRPS system?

From what I gathered so far there is no need to use the BRP rules for Traveller. The game has been proven worthy, as rpg, for over 30 years now. But I might tweak some of the combat to add hit locations like in the BRP book.

From what I gathered so far there is no need to use the BRP rules for Traveller.

It depends on your preferences concerning the granularity of the game mechanics.

Mongoose Traveller's 2d6 system gives you only 11 possible results, while BRP's per-

centile system gives you 100 possible results. Mongoose Traveller uses 6 characte-

ristics, BRP uses 8 characteristics plus 7 rolls (Effort, Stamina, Idea, etc.). And so

on. As a result Mongoose Traveller's core is more "rules light", BRP's core has more

granularity and depth. It is a matter of taste.

(Charlie Chan)