Renaissance Settings

doomedpc

The wonderful Adrian Jones (who wrote Shirdley Hall for Clockwork & Cthulhu, and the forthcoming Wolves of the Coast freebie adventure for Renaissance) is now working on some setting materials for the Renaissance RPG system. He'd like to know which two of the following you are most interested in seeing next (preferably in order of preference):

1 -Arthurian Myths & Legends

2 -Roman Britain with Fantasy/Cthuloid elements

3 -Eire in the 11th Century in the style of Robert E Howard

4 -Steampunk (Alternate History 1880's)

5 -Dieselpunk WW1 but with occult aspects

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

The wonderful Adrian Jones (who wrote Shirdley Hall for Clockwork & Cthulhu, and the forthcoming Wolves of the Coast freebie adventure for Renaissance) is now working on some setting materials for the Renaissance RPG system. He'd like to know which two of the following you are most interested in seeing next (preferably in order of preference):

Oh...man such levels of awesomeness shall ensue. To some extent option 1 & 2 have already been covered by Chaosium. So I'd go with option 3-5. Any of those would be cool.

2 and 1. Even if Chaosium covered them I'm sure a Renaissance supplement would be different enough to make them unique.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Short version: 5 then 3 then 4

Rambling rationale:

1 - I think RQ6 guys were planning on this

2 - Cthulhu Invictis already has a lot of this ground covered

3 - Great idea - could tie in with Mythic Iceland too

4 - Lots of Steampunk games on the market - would like to see your take after Airship Pirates (which is cool, but I will never end up playing)

5 - This looks like ground that is not covered well in the RPG market. The Tannhauser boardgame is the only thing I know that sounds similar to this.

Short Answer: 5 and 1.

Rationale:

5 - Dieselpunk World War One? This sounds totally cool and fairly unique. Could be a niche market for better or worse though. However, its a totally cool idea though, and very in keeping with the other Renaissance RPG games which have gone for left-of-centre themes, such as English Civil War/Clockpunk, Clockpunk/Cthulhu, Edwardian Cthulhu, etc. I think it will be in line with the expectations of current Renaissance players, and could easily grab the attention of new ones. I would certainly like to see this setting see the light of day.

1 - Age of Arthur? I chose this because Arthurian myths are timeless and always sell. Arthurian Myths are just one of those genres of Fantasy that always will bring in the crowds, just like Tolkien's Middle Earth. I'ld lik eto see it done in a BRP-related RPG system rather than all that great narrative going to waste on something like a D20 system. The Pendragon rpg was great, but as its no longer in production there's an opportunity, and someone will definitely produce Arthurian games if you don't.

(But here's the remainder, it may help or complicate matters...)

4 - Classic Steampunk. You can't have enough Victorian Steampunk games on the market. Newbies will buy it if the artwork is attractive and pulpy. Oldies love it, and its an all round winner, although there are already a few competing games out there doing Victorian Steampunk (but not as much as the glutted out Fantasy market).

3 - I love Sword n Sorcery, but this has been covered by many other games. I tend to play The Hyborian Age using the setting books from Mongoose with BRP or RQ mechanics. There are numerous sword n sorcery settings already out there by multiple publishers, so unless you get rights to REH or E.R.Burroughs settings then it will be hard to stand out from the crowd, no matter how good the setting/game actually is,

2 - Roman/Barbarian Briton with Cthulhoid elements... sounds great, but I think Design Mechanism is already working on a pre-medieval Briton setting, and Chaosium already has Invictus for a Roman Cthulhu setting. I know your idea is marrying the two, but it may not have all that much market potential with the other two settings out. I'ld hold back on producing this one, despite it being something I'ld like to play.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 - Age of Arthur? I chose this because Arthurian myths are timeless and always sell. Arthurian Myths are just one of those genres of Fantasy that always will bring in the crowds, just like Tolkien's Middle Earth. I'ld lik eto see it done in a BRP-related RPG system rather than all that great narrative going to waste on something like a D20 system. The Pendragon rpg was great, but as its no longer in production there's an opportunity, and someone will definitely produce Arthurian games if you don't.

Don't forget some of this is covered in Merrie England to some extent.

...and the winner is...

Ade is currently working on a WW1 dieselpunk setting for Renaissance.

In the meantime, here is a link to a FREE one-shot adventure, by Adrian Jones, which pits Celtic Adventurers against Viking raiders in an 11th century adventure in the spirit of Robert E. Howard...

The Wolves of the Coast - Cakebread & Walton | DriveThruRPG.com

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for the feedback given.

I am indeed going to be doing the Great War one and it will be quite off the wall being a mix of Dieselpunk, Occult, history, Steampunk and Noir. The idea is you will be able to play it as a dark or pulpy type game or anywhere inbetween.

I will also be continuing with the Robert E Howard style Irish Saga and you will see more releases for that over the next couple of years including some 2 page "Shorts" and a 48 page + Sourcebook / Adventure.

There will also be something a bit different coming out in the next couple of months from Roger Nicholls and myself which I am working on at the moment.

If you have any ideas of your own about what you would like to see then please feel free to post them up here too

Thanks again

Adrian G Jones

I am indeed going to be doing the Great War one and it will be quite off the wall being a mix of Dieselpunk, Occult, history, Steampunk and Noir. The idea is you will be able to play it as a dark or pulpy type game or anywhere inbetween.

Hi Adrian -

A couple of nice resources on period military arms by John Walter:

Central Powers Small Arms of World War One

Allied Small Arms of World War One

It's almost like he wrote them for gamers. Concise descriptions and all of the "stats" you need except damage.

Cheers - Mike

• 1 month later...

Just a very quick one : I was sat out in the sun today and started thinking about the old kids books. Now , I know there's a game out there (Lashings of Ginger Beer) that covers this but it is quite obscure. Would anyone be interested in something similar for Renaissance ? Possibly around the 15-20 page mark (and Pete I really DO mean 16- 20 pages - it won't become a 64 page Sourcebook. Honest !) with a couple of one nighter Adventures, NPC's like the Local Bobby (Policeman) in and a very streamlined version of the rules.

I found a set of ideas for such a thing that I had scribbled down using Cthulhu Now about 15 years ago and just wondering if I should put it to use or shelve it for another 15 years....

I think this sounds interesting. You could go for a few genres, such as the Teen Mystery, or Teen Stalker, for example. I think the concept itself has merit, but I'm unsure how well it would translate to BRP. I saw one for True20 which was pretty good, from memory it had Youth Archtypes such as The Bully, The Jock, The Nerd, etc and I think this kind of thing could work - perhaps replace Personality Types with something like this, with more skill points in this section than Profession...I think you could have a few age groups, perhaps Kids and Youths perhaps...but I think there is at least a small book in this, you could play anything from The Famous Five through to The Goonies and perhaps up to something like Lost Boys or Scream...even a certain Boy Wizard genre could potentially be covered by some of these mechanics...yes I think it has potential for a few one-shots

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

For the "Ginger Beer" setting I would make it "Open" to cover all those eventualities and possibilities. The "Child" wizard school had crossed my mind as well as others in a similar vein ;)

Will look up DM Cornish and Monster Blood Tattoo soon as I get chance as well. Intrigued now :D

• 2 months later...

Any setting outside Europe, the Middle East, China, and Japan would be cool. Spears of the Dawn did a (mostly) sub-Saharan African fantasy mashup for Classic D&D; I'd like to see another starting from original sources. Russia, the Byzantine Empire, and/or the Balkans would also be cool. (Yes, I know of Mythic Russia for HeroQuest.)

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG