Any suggestions for a starting adventure?

GreveMagnus

I bought Magic World about a week ago and my 9-year old son took one look at it and insisted on making up a character (his first ever).

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a starting scenario that would be appropriate for a 9-year old newbie to tackle on his own? I don't mind making up an NPC or two to give him a hand, but the scenario itself should hopefully be fairly straightforward to convert so that we can start gaming without further ado.

He rolled 3D6 straight up and got 18 INT (!), so I'll be able to give him plenty of hints via Idea rolls if he gets stuck. I don't think he realises how incredibly lucky that was!

Anyway, any and all suggestions will be gratefully received.

I wrote a little adventure called "The Fishsinger's Daughter" which would be good for a small group with young players -- Chaosium is going to release it as a free download "some day soon". It could be released any day now, but I don't know when...

Also, I will have a little more to announce for adventures suitable for a younger group -- but not just yet.

Sorry I can't point you to anything right away.

Rich

By nine years old he should be learning a lot of the injustices of history in his classes (if his education is anything like mine). Don't emphasize the shock value of such things, but don't sugar coat them either is my suggestion. At the same time, give him the opportunity to intervene in anything he feels is morally wrong. Something intellectually stimulating but not too hard to follow in story would be perfect if he's anything like I was at that age.

Edited by Link6746

When my daughter broke her leg she forced me to GM for her to take her mind off the itches. Which means I ran over to one page dungeon a lot and made up a story based on their maps.

My advice is to keep it loose, and if your son comes up with a theory on the plot, change your plot on occasion to match with his expectations. Also, sometimes my daughter wanted to heavily influence the game and sometimes she was happy just to flow along with it. Just depended. I learned quickly to not assume that if she was a little subdued while playing it meant that she was bored. Far from it.

70/420

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I'll definitely check "One-Page Dungeon" out, that sounds like a good idea.

Just now we're having fun making up characters. Last night he rolled up a space trooper using the BRP Quickstart rules. Incredibly enough, he managed to roll INT 18 again!

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a starting scenario that would be appropriate for a 9-year old newbie to tackle on his own? I don't mind making up an NPC or two to give him a hand, but the scenario itself should hopefully be fairly straightforward to convert so that we can start gaming without further ado.

Gah! Sorry, I just noticed this.

My own son is 8, and we've played a few rpg sessions together over the last few years. My suggestion is simply to keep it light and fast, and let him direct the action. I'll throw out some basic elements like "You've just come back to town, and the mayor tells you that a shipment of grain is late. Why do you think that is?" And then the Boy will say its goblins in the forest, or they got captured by trolls in a cave in the hills, or maybe bandits. And then I'll just roll with that. I have a little map I use of the general area, as well as one of the town his guy lives in. That helps frame things. Sometimes he'll just look at the map and want to explore.

Don't stress out over NPC stats, etc. I just use the "Average" stat values form everyone, unless I'm making a boss monster of some sort. And just use the quick NPC creation stuff in the Chronicler's chapter when he's interacting with something that doesn't want to kill him.

You'll have a lot of fun. I've found its a great way to exercise my creative muscles just trying to keep up with his crazy ideas.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.