Beginner's question

Grütlap

Hello, first-time reader of the free Renaissance rules here with a question:

Does 1 Free Skill Point equal +1% in a skill? I've only ever played one BRP-based RPG before and it used 5% increments for all skills, maybe Renaissance does too?

Thanks! Yes, I suspected that the answer might be obvious to BRP players. (The system I referred to is in Swedish.)

Another question -- in the Critical Successes section, it says "remember, always round to the nearest whole number". Should this read "always round up to the nearest whole number" or should it actually be 7.4 -> 7, 7.6 -> 8?

In the BGB it says "Critical Success: This is the result of a skill check roll that is 1/20 (or 5%) of the regular chance of success.

Generally, a critical success is rewarded with greater results, though in some cases a critical success is required for

success at all. For example, if the regular chance for success is 75%, any roll of 4 or under is a critical success (1/20 of 75% is 3.75, rounded up to 4)."

However the BGB rules are inconsistent in that sometimes rounding is to the nearest whole number and sometimes it is rounding up. I don't have a copy of the Renaissance rules to hand to help you out but if it says round to the nearest whole number then that's what you do. If it says the you round up to the nearest whole number then do that instead.

Isn't English screwy if it isn't your first language :-)

• Like 1

Nigel

Tell me about it :)

The reason I asked though is that it says on p 7: 'Numbers in Renaissance are usually rounded up to the nearest whole number.' And on Armour Points: '(rounded down – an exception to the usual rule of rounding up)'. Critical Success could be another exception for all I know, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Isn't English screwy if it isn't your first language :-)

Yep, a perfect instrument for the use of a multitude of obscure

words in an attempt to avoid any transfer of information. >:>

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Back on topic ...

Now that I've received the Deluxe rules I got my first question answered (it's implied from the example there). However, my second question remains:

p. 8, box on Rounding: 'Numbers in Renaissance are usually rounded up to the nearest whole number.'

p. 37, Critical Successes: 'A character with 70% in a skill would get a critical success on a roll of 7 or less – remember, always round to the nearest whole number).'

'Remember, always...' would seem to imply that the general rule applies. If so, it should read 'always round up'. (For Armour Points it's specifically mentioned that they are 'rounded down – an exception to the usual rule of rounding up', p.16.)

I see that the game designers are posting here. Could they perhaps confirm if nclarke is correct? Or if 'always round to' is an error for 'always round up to' on p. 37?

Edited by Grütlap

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Ade and Paul_Va. When it says in the rules that numbers are usually rounded up, I take that to mean that normal rounding rules do not apply and that numbers are usually rounded up: 7.2, 7.5 and 7.8 all round up to 8. Perhaps that's incorrect and the text box only refers to 0.5 cases, like in the BRP system quoted above (while 7.2 would round down and 7.8 up as usual). Still, it'd be great to have an answer.

Ken, he say: "Always round up, unless the rules state otherwise."

Any errata is probably down to me, because even though I knew that, I instinctively round to the nearest whole number (and up if it's .5).

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings