Psychic, psionic, what else...?

hi guys; I am looking for a term to describe a 'psychic', foir use in a campaign. I don't want psychic (I want to keep clear water with fakers) and I don't want to use psionic.

I want something scientific sounding so some (vaguely) plausible prefix + suffix kind of term.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

Basically full array of psychic powers from the BGB (plus some others).

Mentalist, seer etc are a bit too old fashioned for my needs; need something with a modern sound if that makes sense. Was trying to work with pysch-/psycho- and a long list of suffixes yesterday, but not much luck.

Mespers?

Minders?

Gleaners?

Psions?

Viewers?

PsyUsers?

Evolves?

NeuroEvolvers?

NeuroSynchs?

CogPaths?

HyperCogs?

PsyCogs? (probably my favourite out of this list for SciFi Psionics)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My favorite term is "witch", and I don't see a problem with "sensitive", "psi", "psion", or "paranormal" (or "para" for short). If you want something sciencey how about psychoenergist or psychoactive (which also describes hallucinogenic substances, admittedly). You could also come up with an acronym or code word: EPP (epicenter of paranormal phenomena), Anomaly, Active, Red King, Ganzfelder (after the Ganzfeld experiment), etc.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

"Tele Sapiens" is what came to my mind. Not sure if it's in the direction you're looking for though.

Edit: As in telepathic, telekinetic, etc. The prefix "tele-" means to bridge long distances. You could set it up as if psions are classified as a different species technically?

Edited by Nakana

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

That could be something i use, cheers.

Psychics are going to be a secret thing to begin with, but that would not stop one of the secret organizations that know about them classifying them in that way. Thanks. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi! scribe here. i looked at the thread, saw "witch" and "sensitive" as well, both good terms, but i just have to ask - why can't you just create your own names and powers. (Although I have a bone to pick with the "Powers" - maturity brings more and greater power, think of Gandalf and Merlin, older thandirt, and extremely powerful. but that's jsut me.) Good luck.

Hi! scribe here. i looked at the thread, saw "witch" and "sensitive" as well, both good terms...

"Witch" and "sensitive" may be good terms, but Leon specifically wanted terms that sounded scientific.

I want something scientific sounding so some (vaguely) plausible prefix + suffix kind of term.
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

hi guys; I am looking for a term to describe a 'psychic', foir use in a campaign. I don't want psychic (I want to keep clear water with fakers) and I don't want to use psionic.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

How about Julian May's term, "Metapsychic"?

C'es ne pas un .sig