The Allegiance system

Jack Tar

I've played Elric! only briefly (a few months of weekly gaming) and so never got to see the Allegiance system in full bloom (or even properly grok it). Now that I've read it in Magic World, I really like its potential and subtlety; it looks like it could produce similar effects to Dungeon Crawl Classics' patron system. Lots of roleplaying potential. However, on searching the net for further advice on how to run the system, I've been surprised at how lukewarm people have been towards it, if not outrighly hostile. I'm wondering what people here feel about the Allegiance system. Do you use it? Any advice on how to run it accurately and/or to best effect?

132/420

I love the Allegiance system! As opposed to D&D where your alliance dictates your actions, in this system your actions dictate your Allegiance. It seems a lot more logical and realistic.

Also, you don't have to just use religion as your allegiance options. You could also use the same system for things such as allegiance to royal houses, or gangs, secret organizations, etc. It really is a versatile mechanic.

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

I love the Allegiance system! As opposed to D&D where your alliance dictates your actions, in this system your actions dictate your Allegiance. It seems a lot more logical and realistic.

Also, you don't have to just use religion as your allegiance options. You could also use the same system for things such as allegiance to royal houses, or gangs, secret organizations, etc. It really is a versatile mechanic.

It is indeed very flexible. I am going to use it in the Skyrealms of Jorune port to enhance/flesh out the Drennship system for PCs trying to become "citizens" of Ardoth in the setting, as well as develop other "allegiances" for other city-states/countries/cultures.

I have also been fleshing out the Allegiance implementation for Stormbringer/Elric!, pulling in bits from Mongoose Elric 2.

Ian

• 4 months later...

Not quite sure. Advanced Sorcery is almost done, and development is starting in the Chrinicler's Screen & Forms pack. The Chronicler's Companion is written, and will be next on the schedule. I'd expect it in the spring, hopefully.

That being said, it's not a huge book. I'd expect it to come in under 100 pages, and maybe cost around $15?

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 3 months later...

There are so many great things that can be done with the Allegiance System! Can't wait to see what you've done.

I'm currently working on a monk type "profession" that uses Allegiance to dictate when certain "abilities" are gained.

The idea was to make a martial artist like you see in those movies like "Crouching Tiger".

Abilities will be used somewhat like psychic abilities in BRP.

EXAMPLE: "Light as a Feather" will grant the monk the ability to run across water at the cost of MP for short durations, but the monk only gains this ability if his Balance Allegiance score is 75 and he sacrifices a permanent point of POW to obtain it.

I've developed quite a few abilities like this. Haven't play tested it yet though.

I'm not sure I like how the abilities for the different Allegiances are categorized in MW currently, however. I'm thinking about making ALL the abilities from each Allegiance accessible to anyone, but they have to pick 1.

EXAMPLE: 1 of my players is running a VERY pious priest type who concentrates mostly on spells. His Allegiance is to Light, but why shouldn't he have access to the MP bonus from his Allegiance or the doubling of MP for apothesis while not making his Allegiance to shadow? He'll NEVER want to build a stronghold or own land, as is available in apothesis to his Light Allegiance....

Oy.. hope that made sense. :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Another Idea just occurred to me. A deities&demi type book spelling out their Allegiances and special abilities available by making Allegiance to certain pantheons. Oh, the possibilities!

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects