Curiosity: d100 system that uses d100 for Characteristics?

jp42

Discussions about various breakpoints in the way that some d100 games handle figured stats makes me wonder - has there ever been a d100 variant that used 01-100 values for primary Characteristics?

Yes, for example the Expendables roleplaying game by Stellar Games did.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

TSR's Star Frontiers

And while the actual game mechanics may have been different, still D100...

ICE's RoleMaster

ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying (MERP)

Pacesetter's Chill (later Mayfair)

Pacesetter's Timemaster

Pacesetter's Star Ace

All used a 1-100 system for characteristics

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

TSR's Star Frontiers

This is an odd one, as you roll d100, but then compare to a chart for a result that is 30-75 (I think) by fives. Could have been a d20 system without much jiggering.

And while the actual game mechanics may have been different, still D100...

ICE's RoleMaster

ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying (MERP)

Pacesetter's Chill (later Mayfair)

Pacesetter's Timemaster

Pacesetter's Star Ace

All used a 1-100 system for characteristics

Yeah, remembered Rolemaster after I'd posted. It has some strengths, and I had the PDFs of the public beta hanging around somewhere. I really should give it a longer look.

This is an odd one, as you roll d100, but then compare to a chart for a result that is 30-75 (I think) by fives. Could have been a d20 system without much jiggering.

This was done just to give a "human" range to the attributes. So you didn't end up with a human with a 5 strength for example. Really no different than having to roll 2D6+6 for INT and SIZ in BRP. After you had your attributes rolled, they functioned just like any other percentile roll as far as checks went.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 2 months later...

The D100 system looks like a nice homebrew, with racial advantages etc good for fantasy. Certainly food for thought and good for a GM to pillage.

I also kinda like the simplicity of one of the other systems, the Statless D100 system; it's almost a bit like HeroQuest using a D100. I wouldn't complicate the character sheet by listing every trait or ability available though, only the ones the character is using. Everything else could either not be available, or have a default of 10%, which could have situational modifiers applied to it. Anyway I thought the statless idea was a nice way to go

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"