Pirates & Dragons Kickstarter Launched!

doomedpc

Pirates & Dragons RPG

Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings are proud to announce the launch of a Kickstarter for our latest tabletop RPG, Pirates and Dragons!

Pirates like gold. Dragons like gold. When the terrors of the sea meet the terrors of the sky, there’s bound to be trouble!

They came from Albion, from Gaule and Esbania and Batavia, in search of the treasures of the New World. They found a menace older than mankind – dragons!

In their mountain lairs on the Dragon Isles, giant beasts – old and wise and malevolent – sit on their piles of gold, surrounded by their zombie minions. The natives have found ways of appeasing or evading them – the Dragon Tribes honour them with gold and human sacrifice, the other Islanders use their magic to hide away or resist. The Uropans must rely on gunpowder and cold steel.

And the pirates? The pirates will use whatever comes to hand in their battle with the dragons. Armed with science, sorcery, steel and superstition, they take the fight into the dragons’ lairs in their endless quest for gold.

Pirates & Dragons is a role-playing game of fantasy swashbuckling in a world of magic and treasure, of fantastical islands inhabited by strange beasts and vile necromancers, of treachery and heroism. Together with a group of friends, you take on the role of pirates, out for adventure and booty – raiding the treasure galleons of Esbania, the merchant fleets of Gaule and Batavia, the dragon-hunting ships of Albion, the ruins of lost Adalantas... and the gold-filled caves of ancient and evil dragons.

Gather your crew. Load your flintlocks. And prepare to plunder!

Pirates & Dragons features slick, cinematic game mechanics based on the acclaimed Renaissance D100 system, and is compatible with other D100 systems.

Pirates & Dragons the RPG by Cakebread & Walton — Kickstarter

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

This looks like a really cool setting. I remember that Savage Worlds did something like this with '50 Fathoms' and its great to see a Pirate/Fantasy mix for a BRP system. Its just a bit pricey for me with the current exchange rate of British Pound to AUD, the postage really bumps it up as well... I'll have to check my finances later in the month. Its a great setting, I hope it gets some momentum

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

While the game sounds really great, I'd love to use it to build something slightly more PotC and Monkey Island-flavoured and a bit less high fantasy. How well would this work as a toolkit for your own Caribbean + fantasy elements? Is the included piraty stuff - weaponry, ships, equipment - more Caribbean or more Sinbad?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

While the game sounds really great, I'd love to use it to build something slightly more PotC and Monkey Island-flavoured and a bit less high fantasy. How well would this work as a toolkit for your own Caribbean + fantasy elements? Is the included piraty stuff - weaponry, ships, equipment - more Caribbean or more Sinbad?

Certainly more Caribbean (the cultures and maps are very much inspired by the Caribbean), although the monster list reflects a combination of influences. If you're looking for something "PotC and Monkey Island-flavoured", you won't be disappointed. We've given a brief account of some of the influences on design and development in the FAQ at the bottom of the Kickstarter page :)

Peter Cakebread

News just in from the Pirates & Dragons Kickstarter: All those who pledge to the Digital Rulebook Plus, and those who pledge £50 or more, will receive high quality combat-scale PDF deck plans of the pirate ship featured in the core rulebook, designed by Dramascape.

Also, all those who pledge £15 or more, will receive a huge PDF of the Dragon Isles map as standard.

Pirates & Dragons the RPG by Cakebread & Walton — Kickstarter

Peter Cakebread

Certainly more Caribbean (the cultures and maps are very much inspired by the Caribbean), although the monster list reflects a combination of influences. If you're looking for something "PotC and Monkey Island-flavoured", you won't be disappointed. We've given a brief account of some of the influences on design and development in the FAQ at the bottom of the Kickstarter page :)

So, are there monkeys? ;) (Though seemingly insignificant, this mere fact could win me over, hehe.)

RPGbericht (Dutch)

There are already monkey bats...but you're persuading me that maybe we need to stat monkeys as well...

Monkey Cannibals

Groups of Howler Monkeys living in close proximity to dragons are, over the generations warped by draconic influence into terrible beasts that crave human flesh.

STR 2D6

CON 1D6+2

SIZ 1D4+2

INT 1D4

POW 1D6

DEX 3D6+6

Grapple 30%

Bite 25% (+20% if they have grappled) 1D6+DB

Athletics 75%

Perception (Smell) 60%

Monkey Cannibals

Groups of Howler Monkeys living in close proximity to dragons are, over the generations warped by draconic influence into terrible beasts that crave human flesh.

STR 2D6

CON 1D6+2

SIZ 1D4+2

INT 1D4

POW 1D6

DEX 3D6+6

Grapple 30%

Bite 25% (+20% if they have grappled) 1D6+DB

Athletics 75%

Perception (Smell) 60%

Oh, go on then, they sound just the part! :D

Peter Cakebread

There are already monkey bats...but you're persuading me that maybe we need to stat monkeys as well...

I would go even further: monkeys need to be available as PCs*! At least the pirate pet par excellence: the smart and devious capuchin monkey. Howler and spider monkeys could be NPC-only. But seriously, what good is a pirate game without monkeys? Also make sure to add the undead variant! B-)

And speaking of pirate pets, there should also be parrots. ;D

*As you can tell I'm a big fan of the Terra Primate RPG.

EDIT: There ya go. I pledged to show you my support even before you added in the monkeys. ;)

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Well, although I haven't discussed anything yet with Cakebread & Walton, I have several things bubbling under that *might* be able to make good use of the core rules in P&D including an "Alternate Real World" Setting a la Pirates of the Caribbean and an associated set of adventure seeds some of which are very much tried and tested ;) Will have to wait and see the finished product first but I am really excited about this one. Moreso than Clockwork & Cthulhu AND Dark Streets.

• 4 weeks later...

The KS was unfortunately canceled, BUT... they did a relaunch that was immediately succesful! So check it out once again and help them reach some of the interesting stretch goals!

Pirates & Dragons RPG by Cakebread & Walton — Kickstarter (relaunched)

A new thread was started for the new KS:

http://basicroleplaying.com/renaissance/pirates-dragons-rpg-kickstarter-relaunched-3541/

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)