Throwing a Torch - How Far?

kronovan

Hello all, I'm new to Call of Cthulhu and this question came up when I created my 1st character. I'd like to have my player character capable of throwing burning torches, but from read through of the 6th Ed rules I'm not sure how far they'd be able to throw it. This is the RAW:

"To hit a target with an object, or to hit a target with the right part of the object thrown (such as the blade of a knife or hatchet), use Throw. A palm-sized object of reasonable balance can be hurled three yards for each STR point exceeding the object’s SIZ. An object designed to be thrown can be hurled up to six yards for each STR point in excess of the object’s SIZ, and perhaps bounce on for more. Keepers must choose the multiplier suitable to the baseball, javelin, etc."

The CoC rule is quite a bit more generous than the Basic Roleplaying 4th Ed. rule, which would only allow an unbalanced/improvised object like a torch to be thrown 1 meter for every 3 STR points that exceed the objects size. That BRP distance for thrown objects doesn't seem to be in sync with the type of scale and distance CoC is using. I'm also not sure a torch fits either of those descriptions in the CoC Throw rule. The BRP rule for balanced objects is 1 meter for every STR point that exceed the object size.

My PC has a STR of 13, so should I just split the difference between BRP and CoC rules and allow them to throw a torch 1 yard for every STR point exceeding the size - so basically 12 yards (36 feet) for my PC?

A follow on question would be where do you find the size of objects in the CoC rules? The weapon listing tables don't give any SIZ/Enc values such as the BRP tables do. Are you supposed to just go by what's in BRP?

Edited by kronovan

Kronovan,

I would treat a torch as a light club which can be thrown 20m according to page 248 of the BRP rules.

Hello all, I'm new to Call of Cthulhu and this question came up when I created my 1st character. I'd like to have my player character capable of throwing burning torches, but from read through of the 6th Ed rules I'm not sure how far they'd be able to throw it. This is the RAW:

"To hit a target with an object, or to hit a target with the right part of the object thrown (such as the blade of a knife or hatchet), use Throw. A palm-sized object of reasonable balance can be hurled three yards for each STR point exceeding the object’s SIZ. An object designed to be thrown can be hurled up to six yards for each STR point in excess of the object’s SIZ, and perhaps bounce on for more. Keepers must choose the multiplier suitable to the baseball, javelin, etc."

The CoC rule is quite a bit more generous than the Basic Roleplaying 4th Ed. rule, which would only allow an unbalanced/improvised object like a torch to be thrown 1 meter for every 3 STR points that exceed the objects size. That BRP distance for thrown objects doesn't seem to be in sync with the type of scale and distance CoC is using. I'm also not sure a torch fits either of those descriptions in the CoC Throw rule. The BRP rule for balanced objects is 1 meter for every STR point that exceed the object size.

My PC has a STR of 13, so should I just split the difference between BRP and CoC rules and allow them to throw a torch 1 yard for every STR point exceeding the size - so basically 12 yards (36 feet) for my PC?

A follow on question would be where do you find the size of objects in the CoC rules? The weapon listing tables don't give any SIZ/Enc values such as the BRP tables do. Are you supposed to just go by what's in BRP?

The possibility of said torch still being alight after being hurled 20m is almost certainly very low. Why do you want to make a torch hurling character especially for CoC?

My investigator is a Priest that's enough of a pacifist that he would never use a firearm or an edged weapon. Being a harbinger of light, in more ways than one though, he'd be certain to carry a torch and use it if necessary. Mostly he'd just wisely run away though. Being a coach of his parishes little league baseball team and an accomplished player himself, he's got a good throwing arm and views a torch as just a short baseball bat. Yes I know it's a weird character concept, but I'm one of those players that'd rather die roleplaying than play a less-flavored / min-maxed PC. ;)

As to the torch going out, according to page 248 of BRP a torch only does that on a roll of 96-00 - unless I'm not understanding that correctly.

Edited by kronovan

As to the torch going out, according to page 248 of BRP a torch only does that on a roll of 96-00 - unless I'm not understanding that correctly.

That would assume one is using the torch as a weapon and smacking an opponent with it. Throwing it that great a distance would be all together different. If I had to rule on it, I would say maybe have the Character make a Luck roll to avoid the torch going out. A Difficult Luck roll may be more realistic however.

Edit: But that could also depend upon the flammable material used on the torch I guess. Something like a flammable tar or pitch may be harder to go out. I think for simplicity I would just make it a Luck roll.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

go out and throw some torches and then measure the distance

lol. Well I can tell you this; I just went camping with my 7 year old nephew and he could throw a torch sized stick taken from the camp fire into the lake further than the distance given in BRP for a reasonably strong adult. And it never went out until it hit the lake, despite it being near the cooler shoreline. :)

Edit: But that could also depend upon the flammable material used on the torch I guess. Something like a flammable tar or pitch may be harder to go out. I think for simplicity I would just make it a Luck roll.

That makes sense, I'll make that suggestion to the Keeper for a final ruling. I did notice in the CoC rules, unlike the BRP rules, that the base percentile for the torch skill starts at 10%, but is variable depending upon how flammable the cloth is. I'm assuming that's referring to how flammable the cloth the torch is wrapped in is?

Which brings up yet another question, where do you find the listing of how flammable the different materials are?

Edited by kronovan

The type of torch beloved of fantasy gamers that burns for a couple of hours would be a wooden core wrapped in flammable material, maybe rags, maybe vegetable material, and soaked in pitch. Not something one could easily find in even a Gaslight period game.

Surely such a man of the cloth would rely on his faith rather than a material device to ward off evil. Perhaps brandishing his holy book or blessed water or even a saint's relic to bolster his faith.

Nigel

The possibility of said torch still being alight after being hurled 20m is almost certainly very low. Why do you want to make a torch hurling character especially for CoC?

To keep the torch lit, stick with STRm, to hit the priest with an unlit torch STRx3m.

Of course, pulpy CoC PCs might need to keep the batteries in the torch to make it a bit heavier when it hits the priest.

Or you could use a lantern and roll to see it breaks.

Hand grenades are far more effective though.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Surely such a man of the cloth would rely on his faith rather than a material device to ward off evil. Perhaps brandishing his holy book or blessed water or even a saint's relic to bolster his faith.

Well that brings up a good point; what's the size and damage for a hard, leather-covered bible. I expect my priest will always have his along with him at all times and hold it when faced with anything evil. I'd expect he'd swing it when in dire need - possibly even toss it. :)

Of course, pulpy CoC PCs might need to keep the batteries in the torch to make it a bit heavier when it hits the priest.

Ah, I should have made that clear. My discussion was about the North American definition of a torch; i.e. burning/flammable torch made of wood.

• 2 years later...