Magic World Survey

BMonroe

Please check out and respond to the survey below (if you're so inclined):

Magic World feedback questionnaire Survey

We're trying to collect some information about what folks think about MW, and where they'd like to see it go.

Thanks!

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Done! Aside from the Sorcery book that was announced, here's my wish list:

A GM guide with useful campaign tools

A Bestiary to expand the core monster range; BRP/RQ titles have always suffered by comparison to D&D/Pathfinder in terms of sheer volume of monsters to pick from

A player book that focuses on interesting player options, professions, and maybe more player-friendly races

A seafaring guide

A GM screen

An exotic locales guide....sort of a "Manual of the Planes" for MW...I'm thinking of Rogue Mistress as a point of reference here (one of my all time favorite modules)

Adventures not tied to setting; I imagine a setting book is a good idea, but I am a homebrew junkie.

I might be in the minority here but...I always liked the Elric/BRP rules, minus the Elric stuff. What I really would like from MW is for it to become its own thing. The core rulebook does a fine job of keeping the BRP Elric rules while exercising the Moorcockian stuff to produce a unique fantasy RP experience. I guess I'd like to see MW now go in its own direction without re-hashing old Stormbringer/Elric stuff. Give me more Southern Reaches. More MW adventures. More stuff that'll make MW the Magic World RPG as opposed to an Elric re-boot. MW has both a great setting and a great set of rules, but it sometimes feels like its bogged down and held back by it's Elric legacy.

To elaborate on my response to the survey: I'm unlikely to use the Southern Reaches as is, although I'd probably cannibalize SR stuff for parts. (Recently I started designing a MW-based setting, and I could adapt my old Tunnels & Trolls setting to MW with some changes.) So I'd prefer one of the following

1. Adventures not heavily dependent on the Southern Reaches, possibly settings elsewhere in the world of the Southern Reaches. James Raggi of Lamentations of the Flame Princess decided to set all his adventures in the real world, albeit with (warped) fantastic elements. You might take a page from him, Ars Magica, Clark Ashton Smith, and Lord Dunsany and set adventures in your very own Forest of Averoigne or fantasy Earth. Most fantasy worlds are anachronistic reflections of the real world anyway.

2. More general resources like expanded magic (maybe called something like Advanced Sorcery), tips and techniques for seafaring adventures, subsystems for managing a feudal domain when PCs get one, a pulp fantasy plane of existence construction kit, a sword & planet expansion (not to step on Jason Durall's toes), and so forth. If you must, you could put out a monster book, but I'm not a big fan of monsters; I'd prefer either a "build your own monster" section or something like Monster Island for RQ6 which integrates a bunch of monsters into a setting or adventure.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Done that. Basically everything announced so far I want to buy. I know the rules from Stormbringer, so maybe I'm biased, but I think they're really easy to understand, work well and feel deep enough to cover almost any situation.

For me RQ6, (which is great and I also play it), requires all of my players to really know the rules well to make it work. MW allows me to introduce new players, who may be casual gamers, easily to the game, while keeping the more regular players happy.

I might be in the minority here but...I always liked the Elric/BRP rules, minus the Elric stuff.

I agree. I still run my Elric! game and love it -- but I don't use the Young Kingdoms setting stuff. I may yet buy Magic World, or recommend it to new players who can no longer get their own copies of Elric. For me the clincher is a complete set of rules which fits in one slim volume. The BGB is just too fat for my tastes. Admittedly I do tend to have several other books floating around my game table, but I do appreciate a small, useable rulebook.

Edited by Questbird
added quote from Skathros