Creatures as Adventurers - is 2d6+6 less than 3d6?

Cowboy Duck

The advice given for using creatures as adventurers on page 153 suggests not playing any creature with INT less than 3d6. Doesn't that disqualify humans as adventurers as they only roll 2d6+6? It certainly eliminates fantasy staples like dwarfs, halflings, and centaurs, not to mention beast-men, centaurs, satyrs. Orcs and elves qualify with 3d6 INT.

3D6 has a range of 3-18, with an average of 10-11.

2D6+6 has a range of 8-18, with an average of 13.

Generally, replacing a D6 with a 6 increases the minimum and average scores but leaves the maximum unaffected.

So 1D6+ 12 is better than 2D6+6 is better than 3D6.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

If I use the dice roll method for char gen, I usually get players to roll 2d6+6 for all attributes/characteristics if they have human characters. Just seems to work out better for us not having PCs with STR 6 or DEX 7 etc

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

If I use the dice roll method for char gen, I usually get players to roll 2d6+6 for all attributes/characteristics if they have human characters. Just seems to work out better for us not having PCs with STR 6 or DEX 7 etc

True. Having anything less than 8 is a major drawback, especially if you account for minimum STR and DEX requirements for weapons in the system, and POW requirements for casting magic, etc.

Rolling 2D6+6 for all characteristics was the method I used back in Elric! in the 1990s. I recommend it if you want to start out with more capable, heroic-level PCs.