Demons: Chaos value and Power

Miihkali

First of all, I own the Finnish edition of Stormbringer. I guess it's somewhat similar to the 2nd or 3rd American edition: there's only summoning-related magic, and race & character class are determined randomly.

I have couple of questions about creating/summoning demons. First, what does the Chaos value (or whatever it is called in English) actually do? The cost of sacrifices needed to summon the demon? Secondly, how to determine demon's POW? Is it determined from the Chaos value? In the demon shopping list it says you can buy any other characteristics with a price of 3 Chaos value / 1d8 of that characteristic, but that Power is not solved in similar way. However, I haven't found any rules regarding the POW and how to actually determine it.

• 1 month later...

First of all, I own the Finnish edition of Stormbringer. I guess it's somewhat similar to the 2nd or 3rd American edition: there's only summoning-related magic, and race & character class are determined randomly.

I have couple of questions about creating/summoning demons. First, what does the Chaos value (or whatever it is called in English) actually do? The cost of sacrifices needed to summon the demon? Secondly, how to determine demon's POW? Is it determined from the Chaos value? In the demon shopping list it says you can buy any other characteristics with a price of 3 Chaos value / 1d8 of that characteristic, but that Power is not solved in similar way. However, I haven't found any rules regarding the POW and how to actually determine it.

When was this version published? I can look up the specifics of C.V. for you, as well as how initial POW is determined.

Ian

• 3 months later...

Sorry for late answer. It seems I was wrong about the edition.

"The fourth edition of STORMBRINGER is copyright 1990 by Chaosium Inc."

Printed in Finland in 1992.

OK, in 4th edition, this is a summary of CV and POW:

The Chaos Value (CV) of a demon is derived from the total of the summoner's stats (STR, CON, SIZ, INT, POW, DEX, and CHA). This total, minus the demon's POW, is the CV. The CV is used to purchase the demons powers/abilities. All of the powers/abilities have a listed cost in CV. Sorcerors are only allowed to assign a percentage of the CV, the GM assigns the balance. The demon must at least have INT, POW, CON and SIZ, with POW pre-determined as below.

The demon's POW is a base 3d8. For every 1d8 less, the demon has 20% less CV and the sorceror gets a 25% bonus to summon. For every 1d8 more, the demon has 20% more CV and the sorceror gets a 25% penalty to summon.

This is all from section 5.6.1. Section 5.7 states how the stats are assigned, and 5.7.1 has the powers and their costs. 5.6.5 has a good example of how it all works.

• 8 months later...