What's that dragon guarding?

tooley1chris

Apologies if this has been previously addressed but....what IS that dragon guarding?

Such creatures are notoriously greedy hoarders of treasure yet I see no such listing of possible loot on any of the creatures description. Is this just up to the Chronicler or am I missing something? Thanks!

(anyone have a treasure generator? )

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

That is actually something I would like too. Designing a tomb for the players to raid and don't really have a clue what kind of treasure to place in there. There is a big ass tomb for a greedy evil king and his followers guarded by the kings undead necromancer. So there should be atleast some goodies buried with them. A treasure generator of some kind would be very helpful to fill in the blanks so to speak.

I could build a random chart program but since the critters don't have treasure types... I guess I could base it loosely on dnd but changes to items to reflect brp.... thoughts?

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Data, naturally, since knowledge is power and power accrues wealth. Financial transactions, personal details, academic records, marriages and divorces, births and deaths and anniversaries of all sorts, who went with whom at the prom, which teams won the championship for the past century and where the various team members are now. The Dragon Knows. Knows everything about everyone within his territory (however broad or narrow that is). Why battle princes or raid cattle when a few judicious words -- "I know what you did, when, how, and with whom" -- can send the citizenry scrambling to do his bidding? The king of lizards is a master manipulator, has the goods on everyone, is the motivator and instigator behind most village events -- known or secret. He can make you an offer you dare not refuse, but if you do him a favor he might do you one in return. It's all business, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking dragons here, they should be guarding something really important. I'm trying to think of a story in which a dragon was sitting on "just" a pile of dough, and that was it.

EG: in the Hobbit, the treasure was secondary to the fact that Smaug had taken over the dwarves ancestral home.

Other dragons (eg: Fafnir) might be more of an environmental issue, again, the treasure begin secondary to the fact that the dragon's poisoning the local ecologies.

That being said, you should give your monsters treasure appropriate to your setting and story. Some GMs like to give out lots of treasure, some don't. When all else fails, talk to your players, and see what sort of game they want. Maybe there's a certain artifact they want to get their hands on? Maybe they're into a gritty game where every bronze piece counts. Maybe they want to become feudal lords, and clearing out a minster-infested castle is just their first step in their long range plans.

TL;DR: splunge.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Also, there will be expanded guidelines for distributing treasure in the forthcoming "Chronicler's Companion."

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Sorry, I'm mobile, so don't have the book handy. Here's what I remember off the top of my head:

Expanded advice on scenario/chronicle creation.

Digest of common NPC stats

Advice for creating magical treasure

Information on settlements and standards of living

Encounter tables from everywhere from the Big City, to the most distant spirit realms

How to use the Alleigiance system to create religions and pantheons (honestly, my favorite part of the book!)

Expanded ideas on running games in the Southern Reaches

Inevitably I left something out, but that's the core of the book.

I could build a random chart program but since the critters don't have treasure types... I guess I could base it loosely on dnd but changes to items to reflect brp.... thoughts?

That's all good news!

I have been busy, however, on a treasure generator using the NBOS chart randomizer. I've done extensive charts for mundane items, magic weapons, and Miscellaneous Magic Items. The randomizer decides if it had bonuses and to what (skills, stats,ect..) and then if it has one of the spells from Magic World as well for rare items.

Next is armor, rings, and wands.

• 2 months later...

Here's my treasure generator for creatures based on treasure types from 1st edition Manual of Monsters!

Hope this is useful to some of you. [

Maybe I'll work on a free Manual of Monsters next...

Edited by tooley1chris

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! It's only been a couple weeks??? I'm a little more than 1/2 way done with my Old-School "Manual of Monsters" conversion to BRP /Magic World. Once finished, I'll post a file with pics and one without for quick reference.

This will, of course, all come to you free of charge, since the pictures and descriptions are very borrowed from other sources AND quite frankly, because I love the game as well as you good folks and I want to share!

In the critter description will be Characteristics, Abilities, Skills, Weapon Skills, number appearing, treasure tables (for those using my treasure generator above ), habitats, and some useful tidbits and other notes.

Soon to follow: Folio of Fiends! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with Manual of Monsters 1.....most likely upload the version with pictures in a couple hours.

My PDF writer decided to shift around some of the pics for me and jumbled some up so I had to do further editing for your viewing pleasure. :)

I've been contemplating my next free-be project and was thinking about a book of NPCs detailing three different power levels for each "Profession" I know this would be valuable in MY campaign.... thoughts?

Edited by tooley1chris

Alrighty then...every time I try to upload the PDF the site times out...perhaps file is too big.

So, until I figure it out, here's a link to the file:

****update eminent ****

Screenshot263_zps6949fff7.png

This is a conversion from the old-school 1st edition MM to be compatible with BRP/MM/CF.

I didn't include any common races like human/elf/dwarf as those are readily available in the other books, but did include almost all the creatures in that book. Some are also featured in other compatible works and I copied most of this information (that I agreed with) to maintain consistency.

As it says on the first page of this book, "This book is not, in any way, a product of my artistic or writing ability. Every bit of art and most of the descriptions were “borrowed” from many other, much more talented people from other books and around the internet."

All I did was throw together a manual for easy reference, quicker adventure building, and smoother encounter generation.

Special thanks to Lynn Willis, Ben Monroe, Mark Morrison, "and friends" for giving us such a rich place as MW to adventure in. And a big thanks to Jason Durall and Sam Johnson for the Big Gold Book which changed how I roll.

Thanks to Chaosium, inc. for making the above authors work and materials available.

Nothing but love!

Edited by tooley1chris

Wondering if anyone has Downloaded this yet? Any comments/criticism? I'd like some feedback before I print off a hard copy and I know I can count on you good folks to set me straight first. :)

I just finished perusing your work. I lol'd (in a good way!) seeing all those old Monster Manual pics. (And lol'd harder at the more unique additions like real pictures of jaguars, screen captures from Clash of the Titans, etc.) I love it.

If you want some feedback, I'd say the following:

1) Add page numbers

2) 'Fix' the excel borders to be uniform for all cells. Or, better yet, simplify the tables to eliminate borders and (possibly?) shading. Left justify text, right justify numbers. It will help the tables 'fit' in.

3) I don't have a copy of Magic World, but I am wondering if all the spells listed for some of the tougher baddies (Asmodeus, Demogorgon, etc.) are fully fleshed out and available in the core mechanics?

4) Some of the tables are overlapping descriptions. Not many, but some.

5) Align tables when it makes sense to do so.

Hope that list isn't too frustrating since I haven't added specific page numbers and you may wonder wtf I am talking about. Apologies for that....I saw your request and took a really quick look to make sure your efforts received feedback.

Wondering if anyone has Downloaded this yet? Any comments/criticism? I'd like some feedback before I print off a hard copy and I know I can count on you good folks to set me straight first. :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to critique!

Page numbers! Doh! And maybe a table of contents.

I'm not sure what you mean by #2. I'm NO excel guru. :) Uniform with all cells? I thought the shading would make the charts easier to read. Is that just..annoying or something?

3. No, all the spells are not available in MW, but the ones that are not, ARE in Classic Fantasy. I use spells from both sources in my campaign. Magic World spells are the spells the known world knows. The Classic Fantasy spells (which are converted from 1st edition old School) are special spells the characters MIGHT find in fey/ancient ruins, for flavor. But yes, you would also need a copy of Classic Fantasy to use those spells without converting on your own.

I was real careful not to cover descriptions with pics or charts but my PDF converter fudged some up. Thought I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out! Will take another look.

I really loved seeing some of those old school pics again as well. But there is some really good talent out there and I had to share some newer pics!

Again, thanks for the feedback!

I just finished perusing your work. I lol'd (in a good way!) seeing all those old Monster Manual pics. (And lol'd harder at the more unique additions like real pictures of jaguars, screen captures from Clash of the Titans, etc.) I love it.

If you want some feedback, I'd say the following:

1) Add page numbers

2) 'Fix' the excel borders to be uniform for all cells. Or, better yet, simplify the tables to eliminate borders and (possibly?) shading. Left justify text, right justify numbers. It will help the tables 'fit' in.

3) I don't have a copy of Magic World, but I am wondering if all the spells listed for some of the tougher baddies (Asmodeus, Demogorgon, etc.) are fully fleshed out and available in the core mechanics?

4) Some of the tables are overlapping descriptions. Not many, but some.

5) Align tables when it makes sense to do so.

Hope that list isn't too frustrating since I haven't added specific page numbers and you may wonder wtf I am talking about. Apologies for that....I saw your request and took a really quick look to make sure your efforts received feedback.

Edited by tooley1chris

• 2 weeks later...

This is a conversion from the old-school 1st edition MM to be compatible with BRP/MM/CF.

Nice! I was recently rereading some old White Dwarfs (White Dwarves?), thinking about the dual-statted AD&D/RuneQuest scenarios they sometimes ran, and musing about writing a dual-system adventure for Swords & Wizardry/OpenQuest or something of the sort (Crypts & Things/Magic World, maybe). Your Manual of Monsters could be a big help.

The occasional layout infelicity aside, I'm impressed with the work you've done here. Cheers!

I've started changing the format to be similar to the creatures listed in the Magic World book. No more excel tables. :)

Also, with the release of Advanced Sorcery, I've discovered that my demons and devils (at least the head honchos ) are pretty UNDER powered, so I'm revisiting those as well. Will update this thread and the file when complete.

Question. A matter of opinion really. I'm planning on making a part 2 to convert old school monster manual 2 or fiend folio (or both)

Would it be more favorable to have these combined in one book or separated?

Question. A matter of opinion really. I'm planning on making a part 2 to convert old school monster manual 2 or fiend folio (or both)

Would it be more favorable to have these combined in one book or separated?

This would suit RQ's upcoming Classic Fantasy supplement. I'd put them together, if you have enough space for them all.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I'm working on the improved Manual of Monsters ,and it Does look nicer without the excel tables, but it's taking awhile to redo all the stats. I'm finding some errors as well so I really don't recommend DLing the previous version. I'll update it soon.

Edited by tooley1chris