Alternative Social/Wealth Tables for RuneQuest

BryanMaloney

Since this is a board post and not a magazine article, I will dispense with a long introduction. Short version: Happy that RQ6 is out, not utterly thrilled with social status tables. They are workable, but not quite to my taste. So, I decided to cook up a few based on actual historic information. My choices were mostly constrained to data I could easily snatch (see references at end). This has led me, so far, to 5 tables that are based on data for Athens (4th c. BCE), Roman Empire (14 CE), Roman/"Byzantine" Empire (ca. 1000 CE), England (ca 1290 CE), and England (1688 CE). These cover a fairly wide span of time. Unfortunately, they all pretty much qualify as "civilized" cultures. That's not a problem for me, since I tend to run games more in "civilized" settings. Unfortunately, detailed social tables are harder to find for what RQ would call "barbarian", "nomad", or "primitive". I hope to find more on that, given that what little I have found on recent research in the economies of surviving pastoralist cultures indicates that their famous "egalitarian" structures are not nearly as equal as we led ourselves to believe.

Before I get to the tables, a bit on methods. I harvested "social tables" from different sources. At their most basic, they list levels of income/wealth and the number/proportion of people at that level. More useful ones also include specific professions or cultural status names. My choices of specific cultures were purely driven by what I could find. I am not an anthropologist or historian, so I did not do more than cursory checking for reliability. However, when there were two potential sources, I tended to choose the more recent one. Everything else was simply a matter of calculating percentages of population, sometimes combining levels, such as when a source might list several levels as being of a certain high social rank. I then translated this to d100 rolls. The first thing I quickly discovered was that the elites of historical cultures were usually far less common than a 100 on percentile dice. This meant that, for four of the five cultures, I ended up having more than one table. If you're of the preference that you are happy to have royal scions be as common as--as 1% of the population, or if you consider the default RQ tables to apply "to PCs only", then you probably haven't even read this far, anyway.

I converted the original data to "bare subsistence basket" units. This corresponds to the amount of wealth in a culture that would be barely enough for a "typical" family unit to survive for a year, including food, clothing, shelter, etc. Fortunately, this is a long-established historical/anthropological principle, so conversion factors were included with the original data sources or easy to derive from other data sources. This amount of value roughly corresponds to $PPP300, which is 300 "purchasing power parity" dollars in the year 1990 CE. A "purchasing power parity dollar" is a unit of value that corresponds to the equivalent of $1 purchasing power in the USA, fixed to whatever reference year is chosen. It does turn out to be not too numerically from the 375SP "maintenance value" in RQ6 for the lowest non-outcast social level. There is another critical level below this one. This would be "starvation level". If a family does not generate at least 184SP in a year, a family members is going to die from starvation/exposure/etc. that year. I have not made this number up. I calculated it from converting other sources to RQ SP. Of course, this is not 184SP in cash, but the sum value of everything that is earned, begged, borrowed, or stolen.

Each of the table has six columns, to wit: "1d100", "Class", "Notes"/"Example Title", "Money Mod", "SP per Year", and "X per Year", where "X" is a currency or unit of accounting of that culture. Money Mod and SP per Year are essentially as explained in RQ6 for the "Social Class" and "Maintenance Costs" tables. You may note that I do not mention "slave" as a specific status or title. History does not support such an economic distinction for any ancient or medieval culture I know of. Slavery certainly existed, but it was a legal status, and it was not automatically reflected in economic hardship or even complete social inferiority. Those practices had to wait for more "advanced" centuries. There were chattel slaves, but there were also slaves who had more influence and wealth at their disposal than the majority of free people in their culture. From an adventuring standpoint, a slave would be "out in the world" for only two reasons. If he were a representative or companion of his owner, then he would have at his disposal whatever resources his owner cared to spare. If he were not authorized, then he would be a fugitive and likely be at the lowest level, equivalent to "vagrant". Thus, there is neither need nor sensible reason to have a specific economic status called "slave" in any of the following tables.

I don't feel like writing a transition to the tables. So I won't.

Athens, ca. 4th century BCE

Athens is the most egalitarian of the cultures I looked at. It is the only one in which the highest social level actually would fit on a single d100 roll. Likewise, the difference between lowest and highest levels is quite narrow compared to the others. It was a place that factored war in as a regular event and was ready to practice on whatever other city-state looked cock-eyed at them. They were also big into political and personal intrigue, and a great soldier could still find a downfall due to bad public relations. The drachma (dr) was a small silver coin. How small? Darn small. Does it matter? Not to me. I just included it for "local flavor". I inserted an "artificial" division in the Thetes class because it had quite a large jump over the Demoi. My use of "Demoi" and "Thetes" are not accurate. I adapted them to fill out the table. Remember that the words are Greek, so one pronounces "Polites" as "poh-LEE-tes", not "poh-lites", okay? Then again, some of the people who read this could be living in a place where a man who introduces himself as "Manuel" (mahn-well) gets called "man-yoo-el" all evening, anyway.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Notes[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]dr per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-23[/TD]

[TD]Demoi[/TD]

[TD]Owns no property, only personal goods[/TD]

[TD]0.5[/TD]

[TD]185[/TD]

[TD]29[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]24-48[/TD]

[TD]Thetes Micros[/TD]

[TD]Lowest-level property owners[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]340[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]49-71[/TD]

[TD]Thetes Megas[/TD]

[TD]Better-off property owners[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]8500[/TD]

[TD]1300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]72-96[/TD]

[TD]Polites[/TD]

[TD]Citizen, has voting privileges[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]20000[/TD]

[TD]2900[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]97-98[/TD]

[TD]Zeugitae[/TD]

[TD]Lowest level that can hold public office, eligible to serve as hoplites[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]65000[/TD]

[TD]10000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]99[/TD]

[TD]Hippeis[/TD]

[TD]Eligible to serve as hoplites or cavalry[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]90000[/TD]

[TD]14000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD]Pentakosiomedimni[/TD]

[TD]Leading citizens, eligible for highest offices, eligible for any military position[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]150000[/TD]

[TD]25000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Roman Empire, ca 14 CE

This is the Rome of Augustus and Tiberius. When the Romans ran around acting like we expect Romans to act, except without nearly so much actual sex and perversion. The Empire was on the way up, but it hadn't really hit its economic stride. There was still room for sufficiently cunning sociopaths to carve a niche into history, their close relatives, and the odd passer-by. In short, perfect for typical RQ player characters. The sestertius (HS) was a unit of accounting that at one time corresponded to yet another small silver coin. By this time, though, the sestertius of accounting had ceased being related to real money (sound familiar?). This is a multi-table table. I think you can figure out how to use it. The Class labels are really only conveniences. The "Augustales" class is only weakly attested, but some people do think that it did fulfill a role as a "leaders of the nobodies" or "has money but no status" class. Decuronial is a short-hand for "member of a local senate" or "other local muck-a-muck". The divisions between Equestrian and Senatorial were not nearly as hard-and-fast as these tables indicate. Families went up and down those ladders a lot, and many even simply disappeared into the commoners. Likewise, while wealth usually corresponded to Senatorial rank, there were some Senatorial families who had to be supported by donations from the Emperor.

Regarding the Emperor, let's talk money--big money. The top end of these tables does not even start to tickle the sandal soles of the real high rollers of the Empire in this era. The highest level on this table is below 1 million HS. Nero personally gave the treasury an average 60 million HS out of his own pocket throughout his reign. Tiberius handed out 100 million on at least two occasions--from his own funds, not state funds. Emperors could blow 0.5% of Rome's total GDP in a single go, from their personal funds! That's over $80,000,000,000 in terms of late 2013 USA GDP. Nobody rolls like Romans roll. In short, in Rome, if you make the top dogs angry, you will be dead. They will hire whomever is necessary to kill you, and only the wealth of another top dog will be sufficient protection. Even if characters luck out and roll a top-level Senatorial family, there is a bigger shark already swimming around.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]HS per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-10[/TD]

[TD]Outcast[/TD]

[TD]Vagrants, Beggars, etc.[/TD]

[TD]1/2[/TD]

[TD]270[/TD]

[TD]130[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11-65[/TD]

[TD]Common[/TD]

[TD]Laborers, Domestics[/TD]

[TD]5/8[/TD]

[TD]350[/TD]

[TD]165[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]66-92[/TD]

[TD]Skilled[/TD]

[TD]Farmers, Skilled Labor, Soldiers[/TD]

[TD]0.75[/TD]

[TD]500[/TD]

[TD]250[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]93-99[/TD]

[TD]Augustales[/TD]

[TD]Craftsmen, Traders, Tutors[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Roll on Next Table[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]HS per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-88[/TD]

[TD]Augustales, Decuronial[/TD]

[TD]Merchant, Local Senator[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]5250[/TD]

[TD]2500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]89-99[/TD]

[TD]Equestrian[/TD]

[TD]Equestrian[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]20000[/TD]

[TD]9000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]HS per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-68[/TD]

[TD]Senatorial, lowest[/TD]

[TD]Vir Clarissimus[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]60000[/TD]

[TD]30000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-89[/TD]

[TD]Senatorial, middling[/TD]

[TD]Vir Spectabilis[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]240000[/TD]

[TD]120000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]90-100[/TD]

[TD]Senatorial, highest[/TD]

[TD]Vir Illustris[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]1500000[/TD]

[TD]860000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Roman/"Byzantine" Empire, ca 1000 CE

If you're presuming that this will be "Like Rome, only not so much", you're not too far off the mark, except that there is a lot less total wealth to go around, and the low end of the pile is even lower. Late Roman/Byzantine culture (they called themselves "Roman") was highly stratified and rural. The presumption was that God had ordained a specific order for society. The adventurism of old Rome was often not appreciated, although dynamic emperors (such as those around 1000 CE) could stir things up a bit. The nomisma (N) was a--nope, you're wrong--gold coin, a later version of the old Roman "solidus". In addition to the incomes on this table, the highest levels of society had access to even more wealth, but not as much as in old Rome. For example, the head of a typical administrative district had a pay of about 500N per year, while the three most influential districts paid their administrators an average of 2880N per year. The class names are essentially made up.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]N per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-10[/TD]

[TD]Katoteros[/TD]

[TD]Vagrants, Outcasts[/TD]

[TD]1/2[/TD]

[TD]200[/TD]

[TD]1 7/8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11-91[/TD]

[TD]Katoteros[/TD]

[TD]Tenants, Urban marginals, Farmers[/TD]

[TD]2/3[/TD]

[TD]400[/TD]

[TD]3 2/3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]92-95[/TD]

[TD]Mesos[/TD]

[TD]Urban workers, Military (enlisted)[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]650[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]96-99[/TD]

[TD]Anoterikos Mikros[/TD]

[TD]Traders, Skilled Craftsmen[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]s. per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1-66[/TD]

[TD]Anoterikos[/TD]

[TD]Large Landowners[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]3000[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]67-100[/TD]

[TD]Anoterikos Megas[/TD]

[TD]Nobility[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]37500[/TD]

[TD]350[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

England, ca 1290 CE

Okay, ka-niggits and wizards and dragons galore--okay no wizards or dragons, but at least ka-niggits and a lot less puritan attitudes than most of us are led to believe. You should see the contemporary paintings I've seen of the bath-houses frequented by the "better" sort--I digress. Anyway, while there was certainly law and order, it could be patchy, and very silly things like dynastic interests and Crusades could divert people to violence. This is the most stratified of the cultures and has the most complex table. England in this period was in many ways two parallel cultures. The Urban and rural worlds did not see each other as being "the same place" in the way that somebody living in Corpus Christi would see himself as every bit as much a "Texan" as someone living 150 miles outside of Genado does. The money units in this table are pounds sterling (£) and shillings (s), 12 shillings to the pound. In this period the pound is only a unit of accounting--no actual pound coin exists. Unlike for the two Roman tables, this one is "complete". It includes the revenue of King Edward Lovely-Legs. There was a less wealth to go around than in the Old Days.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Result[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-83[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Roll on "Rural" Table[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]84-100[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Roll on "Urban" Table[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rural[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]£ s per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-10[/TD]

[TD]"Beggars"[/TD]

[TD]Displaced, Wanderers, Vagrants[/TD]

[TD]0.5[/TD]

[TD]200[/TD]

[TD]£1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11-58[/TD]

[TD]Peasant[/TD]

[TD]Cottar, Laborer[/TD]

[TD]2/3[/TD]

[TD]425[/TD]

[TD]£2 s3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]59-98[/TD]

[TD]Freeholders[/TD]

[TD]Franklin, Yardlander, Yeoman[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]950[/TD]

[TD]£5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]99[/TD]

[TD]Lesser Landowner[/TD]

[TD]Yeoman[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]4000[/TD]

[TD]£21 s3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Roll on Rural Table 2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rural 2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]£ s per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-86[/TD]

[TD]Knights[/TD]

[TD]Knight[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]9500[/TD]

[TD]£50 s7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]87-98[/TD]

[TD]Barons[/TD]

[TD]Baron[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]45000[/TD]

[TD]£240[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]99-100[/TD]

[TD]Earls, Archbishops, Royalty[/TD]

[TD]Earl, Archbishop, King[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]600000[/TD]

[TD]£3200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Urban[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]£ s per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-10[/TD]

[TD]"Beggars"[/TD]

[TD]Vagrants, Beggars[/TD]

[TD]0.5[/TD]

[TD]275[/TD]

[TD]£1 s5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11-57[/TD]

[TD]Townsman[/TD]

[TD]Journeyman, Tradesman, Servant[/TD]

[TD]0.8[/TD]

[TD]550[/TD]

[TD]£2 s11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]58-85[/TD]

[TD]Craftsmen[/TD]

[TD]Mason, Carpenter, Weelwright, Waggoner[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]900[/TD]

[TD]£4 s9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]86-90[/TD]

[TD]Clerks/Professions[/TD]

[TD]Lesser Clergy, Lawyer, Clerk[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]1750[/TD]

[TD]£9 s4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]91-99[/TD]

[TD]Lesser merchants[/TD]

[TD]Merchant[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]2500[/TD]

[TD]£13 s4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD]"Burghers"[/TD]

[TD]Rich Merchant, Guildmaster, Rector/Vicar[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]10000[/TD]

[TD]£53 s4[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

England and Wales, ca 1688 CE

For those of you of a swashbuckling, piratical bent, it's hard to beat the late 17th century. Fortunately, some nit-picking git named Gregory King felt the need to write a tedious essay about how England was doing everything wrong and wasting her resources, making herself 'orribly vulnerable to those excessively French people in France or those smelly Hanoverians, or some such harrumphy sentiment. From a gaming standpoint, it was the heyday of the single-most stupid craze to have ever swept the world: Honor. This was when the well-heeled and well-bred acted like a bunch of crack-addled street thugs. On the plus side, it was also the period that gave us women like Julie d'Aubigny (better known as "La Maupin"). Pounds and shillings are still used, although gold pound(ish) coins have now been issued. There was a lot more total wealth going around than in previous centuries. However, there were even more people around, and the distribution was less top-heavy.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD]SP per Year[/TD]

[TD]£ s per year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-18[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]"Scum", "Unfortunates"[/TD]

[TD]0.5[/TD]

[TD]275[/TD]

[TD]£1 s11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]19-69[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Laborers and Farmers[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]900[/TD]

[TD]£6 s5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]70-91[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Townsmen and Freeholders[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1500[/TD]

[TD]£10 s9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]92-98[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Gentlemen and Merchants[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]4000[/TD]

[TD]£28 s9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]99-100[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1d100[/TD]

[TD]Class[/TD]

[TD]Example Title[/TD]

[TD]Money Mod[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]SP per Year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01-91[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Masters, Esquires, and Knights[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]7500[/TD]

[TD]£54[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]92-97[/TD]

[TD]Baronets[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]13000[/TD]

[TD]£93 s7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]98-100[/TD]

[TD]Lords[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]20000[/TD]

[TD]£144[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Sources

Mayhew, NJ. .1995. Modeling medieval monetization. in Britnell, RN & Campbell, BMS. A Commercialising Economy: England 1086 to c. 1300, Manchester. Source of the England 1290 data.

Scheidel, W & Friesen, S. 2009. The size of the economy and the distribution of income in the Roman Empire. Princeton/Stanford Working Papers in Classics. Source of the Rome 14 CE data.

University of California at Davis. 2013. Early Income Distributions. http://gpih.ucdavis.edu/Distribution.htm. Source of the "Byzantine" and England/Wales 1688 data.

Kron, G. 2011. The distribution of wealth at Athens in comparative perspective. Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik. 179:129-138. Source of the Athens data.

Edited by BryanMaloney

Science is not about belief. Science is also not about truth. Science is about models. All models are wrong. Some models are temporarily useful. If you want truth, don't ask me, I have science to do. (List of publications in pertinent peer-reviewed journals available.)