Age of Shadows

Baron

• 3 weeks later...

So far I like chargen and combat, still have to read the Magic chapters. A little different than what I'm used to from RQ2, but no deal breakers really. It might be a handy volume to use as the base for players to refer to, for a Middle Earth game. It's funny that the 'Silmarillion' comment keeps coming up everywhere. I'm not sure how a rules set could be more 'Silmarillion' than 3rd Age Middle Earth, except for the fact that Hobbits are not in the book, you have to download them separately from the author's website. But really, what else would be different in the rules set itself?

So far I like chargen and combat, still have to read the Magic chapters. A little different than what I'm used to from RQ2, but no deal breakers really. It might be a handy volume to use as the base for players to refer to, for a Middle Earth game. It's funny that the 'Silmarillion' comment keeps coming up everywhere. I'm not sure how a rules set could be more 'Silmarillion' than 3rd Age Middle Earth, except for the fact that Hobbits are not in the book, you have to download them separately from the author's website. But really, what else would be different in the rules set itself?

Having just browsed it, I'll tell you one way: Elven is Common. That means Elves are not retreating, but the main civilization. That has HUGE implications in Middle Earthx as Elves are superior to men in all ways, especially when massed.

I'm gonna say that's fluff, not system. The campaign setting you create for your players can have whatever population distribution you choose.

Yeah, I get ya there, but as far as theme it seems to me to be defaulted toward a more mixed race environment than, say, Rolemaster (though EVERYONE played Elves in Rolemaster, for obvious reasons).