Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I would love to see a Native American monograph

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I would love to see a Native American monograph

I would love to see a BRP monograph that dealt with Native Americans. Is there one in the works? Has anyone ever played a straight Native American scenario/campaign?
    "It's taken me all these years to realize that the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" - the Doctor

Downloads
    Uploads

"Native American" covers a lot of territory. What sort of adventures did you have in mind? Something set in the Aztec Empire could be very cosmopolitan, with lots of political intrigue and espionage. On the other hand, an adventure set in the Deep Woods in the Northeast could have political ramifications, but it'd be much more rural and outdoorsy. Also, those Caribbean headhunters and cannibals are technically Native Americans, too. What sort of flavor are you looking for?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jaysun View Post
    I would love to see a BRP monograph that dealt with Native Americans. Is there one in the works? Has anyone ever played a straight Native American scenario/campaign?
    That would be an interesting setting. Like seneschal said, it covers a lot of ground (and time). We've got two continents and a fair number of islands to cover, plus at least a thousand year time period of history to cover to be comprehensive.
    Smiley when you say that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    That would be an interesting setting. Like seneschal said, it covers a lot of ground (and time). We've got two continents and a fair number of islands to cover, plus at least a thousand year time period of history to cover to be comprehensive.
    That is not an acceptable excuse for not doing it

-STS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    "Native American" covers a lot of territory. What sort of adventures did you have in mind? Something set in the Aztec Empire could be very cosmopolitan, with lots of political intrigue and espionage. On the other hand, an adventure set in the Deep Woods in the Northeast could have political ramifications, but it'd be much more rural and outdoorsy. Also, those Caribbean headhunters and cannibals are technically Native Americans, too. What sort of flavor are you looking for?
    Honestly, I was merely thinking the North American Native tribes during the pre-Columbian era.
    "It's taken me all these years to realize that the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" - the Doctor

Downloads
    Uploads

That's fine. A setting like that could be fun. But again, which culture(s) and time period(s) are you specifically interested in? You've got relatively high tech empires in Mexico and Central and South America, competing confederations of Stone Age hunter-gatherers in the Northeastern forests of North America. The Hopi and Navajo are building cliff cities in the Southwest, mysterious Mound Builders have an empire in the Southeast, Inuit and others are hunting caribou and sea mammals in the far North. And you still have those jungle-dwelling Caribbean and South American cannibals and headhunters ready to take on all comers. It's a broad setting ... like Conan's Hyperboria or Imaro's Nyumbani. Player-characters could have drastically different adventures and encounters depending on which region and culture they wandered into.

No horse-riding buffalo hunters, though. The Spanish explorers of the 1500s reintroduced equines into the Americas (after prehistoric tribesmen literally ate the native horses up). So the Lakota and other Plains Dwellers, in fact everybody, is still on foot. The wheel hasn't been invented, so dog-drawn sleds are the primary means of transport (South Americans use lamas as pack animals but don't ride them). PCs had better be prepared with several pairs of stout shoes.
    Last edited by seneschal; January 2nd, 2014 at 21:19.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, narrowing it down to one I would probably go with the Lakota and Dakota people groups. Of course, the Navajo people group would be interesting as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been developing a south american pre-independence setting for my own system, but can be easily converted to BRP. It focuses on the "Virreinato del Río de la Plata" which covers actual Perú, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and some parts of southern Brazil. The "Virreinato" starts in 1776 and is a very interesting period with a lot of different cultures (conquered/integrated natives, free natives, african-americans, european and all kinds of mixes), political intrigue (a fading spanish colony, independence plots, smuggling), misteries (mostrly related to native, christian-native and pagan traditions), and option for realistic or magical play. The most important native people groups are playable: Tehuelches, Mapuches, Aimaras, Guaraníes, Comechingón and Inka. It would be possible to play in earlier times when it was the "Virreinato del Perú". Pre Columbus times are more difficult because many native cultures were destroyed by christian-spanish conquest and warring/absorption between natives, there is not enough information for a deep and rich native setting except about the Inkas.

Downloads
    Uploads

My understanding is that the modern city of Phoenix was founded at least in the vicinity of a native city that was found abandoned by explorers. Not having training or interest in archaeology, they didn't think to ask why it had been abandoned, so they built a new city on the site that would be utterly uninhabitable without a modern infrastructure for, among other things, keeping the population fed and watered.

Not many details are known about the original inhabitants of Phoenix. But you could run a very interesting campaign set in a city that is becoming rapidly less and less able to support its population. Perhaps changes in the climate are causing the surrounding agricultural regions to fail and drying up the rivers. PCs could be charged with the task of finding another home for at least some of the dying city's inhabitants as their situation deteriorates more and more quickly. to complicate matters, the magics that in the past would have been helpful in dealing with weather and crops are having no effect on the current calamity. "Have the Gods abandoned us? What have we done to offend them?"
    Last edited by Michael Hopcroft; January 3rd, 2014 at 04:31.

Downloads
    Uploads

My two Aces High monographs devote a lot of space to the Natives. The AH mono itself deals with them in a fairly generic way but does draw attention to things like language, religious powers, and a supernatural difference between the tribes.

The AH:New Mexico book is almost half filled with Hopi religion, with a little bit on Apache too. Both my AH monos are written from the point of a 'pale face' but I have tried to offer depth for the Native tribes with the intention that someone could use the information to run a game with Indians.

That said, there are literally hundreds of tribes and while Sioux, Apache and Cheyenne are (possibly) the most popular ones there are others out there that almost scream for attention. Its why I focused on the Hopi for the New Mexico Book, I felt they deserved it... Although I do plan on elaborating on Apache for an Arizona book in the future...
    Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!